X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resorting Forum Folders, Simplifying the Home Page

What's up, GateWorlders!?

I've missed you so. I have continued to keep an eye on the goings-on around these parts under the "GateWorld" user account, but (while I was hunting for a password) realized that I have not posted under my own name in some time.

You might know that some exciting Stargate news is coming this Thursday during the Comic-Con panel. Keep an eye on GateWorld -- we'll have the whole scoop for you before the panel has even ended!

The other big news from me (which you may have picked up on it you follow @GateWorld on Twitter) is that I am neck-deep in getting GateWorld ready to relaunch. I've been working on GateWorld "3.0" off and on for several years ... and now it's nearly ready for you to see.

That's going to include a new look for GateWorld Forum.

Don't worry -- there won't be any massive changes. Everything in the thread reading and posting interface stays the same; what changes is the wrap-around template skin.

But to get ready for that, the most immediate change is that I am going to re-sort some of our discussion folders in an attempt to simplify the forum home page (which is currently quite a long scroll, which can be overwhelming for newbies).

The main area of focus will be all the non-Stargate shows under the Sci-Fi Stream category. They will all still be there, but we'll sort them into folders (based on what is currently airing and what's no longer in production).

I hope everyone understands that this isn't intended to be a slight against anyone's favorite show, or to make these more difficult to find, but only to make it easier for newcomers to approach GateWorld Forum and decide to join our little family.

Hopefully, after Thursday comes and goes, we'll start to see more newcomers to greet and show some of that famous Gater hospitality!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

(thanks for the home Darren)
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I was wondering what happened...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post

(thanks for the home Darren)
        Shel kek nem ron.

If Darren is reorganizing the forum something tells me it will be something big. Or I'm being over-optimistic.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Mr Jel, execute plan Omega-6, the tunnels are built, the mods are poisoned, Darren and David are all that stand in your way.

There will be no stopping us this time!!
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Gateworld 3.0, official podcast and a new MGM Announcement? Are we gonna see some major new Stargate?

Comment

I'm not going to make a big fuss, and I certainly understand the rationale that's driven the decision, but I really don't like the newly-condensed Current Shows look. Now I can't see at a glance whether anything is new since last time I was in. Surely there's a better solution, like condensing shared universes (ie Arrowverse) onto a single page, or to make it a collapsed tree by default.

Heretical thought: there has been no new Stargate for six years now, perhaps some of its subforums should be scrapped/condensed instead?

Also, I had no idea Stargate news was coming soon. That's very exciting!
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

New Stargate??? Yay?!?!?!?!?

I had no idea. I haven't peeked here (GW) in ages.

Comment

Looking forward to see the changes

And new SG news? I hope we will hear a lot about it here becase this is the only place I find the most informative information always
                  Last edited by DarkenLycht; 20 July 2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Darren, thanks for the update!

Comment

Did something change already -- cause I'm still seeing the old lay-out...

Though, my starting point is "My Controls" anyway so I wouldn't notice either way, I guess.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The layout did not change here either but some boards have been merged, I like it

Still curious how the new layout will look

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                          The layout did not change here either but some boards have been merged, I like it
                          Upon closer inspection, there is indeed movement.
                          But I probably wouldn't have noticed it, if this hadn't popped up -- shows how much attention I pay to the homepage of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                            ...what changes is the wrap-around template skin.
                            I just realized something: does this mean you're doing away with the light blue?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Heretical thought: there has been no new Stargate for six years now, perhaps some of its subforums should be scrapped/condensed instead?
                              2nd this

My only other suggestion would be moving the political\religious threads out of OT and into their own area or maybe a sub folder inside of Off-Topic similar to the Season areas for various shows. I'd love a better way to avoid the constant bickering and I know some members really get upset about it.
                              Last edited by Spimman; 09 August 2017, 11:28 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X