Bajorans and Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bajorans and Baseball

So here's a thought. After the DS9 finale and Sisko joined with the Prophets there's a fair chance that the Bajorans would want to venerate their Emissary even more than before. You'd have Vedeks making pilgrimages to DS9, maybe even New Orleans on Earth to see where he grew up and lived. They'd find their way to Quark's or talk in passing to his friends and family and ask about the kind of man Sisko was and all the usual things would come up like how great he was... and then sooner or later the Bajoran pilgrims would start to learn about this strange human sport called Baseball. The story might even come up that Sisko taught the Prophets about the values of linear time by using the sport as an example...

Years later, suddenly Baseball becomes the national sport of Bajor... Ready for the Emissary's eventual return...

I'd say Sisko would only half joke that it was the greatest contribution towards the Bajoran culture that he ever made.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
    So here's a thought. After the DS9 finale and Sisko joined with the Prophets there's a fair chance that the Bajorans would want to venerate their Emissary even more than before. You'd have Vedeks making pilgrimages to DS9, maybe even New Orleans on Earth to see where he grew up and lived. They'd find their way to Quark's or talk in passing to his friends and family and ask about the kind of man Sisko was and all the usual things would come up like how great he was... and then sooner or later the Bajoran pilgrims would start to learn about this strange human sport called Baseball. The story might even come up that Sisko taught the Prophets about the values of linear time by using the sport as an example...

Years later, suddenly Baseball becomes the national sport of Bajor... Ready for the Emissary's eventual return...

I'd say Sisko would only half joke that it was the greatest contribution towards the Bajoran culture that he ever made.
    He'd finally be able to beat that Vulcan team.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
      He'd finally be able to beat that Vulcan team.
      well unless the Bajoran team is receiving some help in winning their games a la "Angels in the Outfield" then I don't think a team of Bajorans would any better

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        well unless the Bajoran team is receiving some help in winning their games a la "Angels in the Outfield" then I don't think a team of Bajorans would any better
        I mean after they set up their league and play a few seasons.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
          I mean after they set up their league and play a few seasons.
          I don't know....even with experience it's tough to beat a race of aliens used to a homeworld environment containing higher gravity and lower oxygen

Comment

I don't know....even with experience it's tough to beat a race of aliens used to a homeworld environment containing higher gravity and lower oxygen
            Bajorans are full of surprises.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

I don't know. In team sports, we see that physical ability alone isn't enough if you don't work well together. Just because the Vulcans are physically stronger I can believe the Bajorans winning working together. After all that is what kept the resistance working during the Occupation
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I don't know. In team sports, we see that physical ability alone isn't enough if you don't work well together. Just because the Vulcans are physically stronger I can believe the Bajorans winning working together. After all that is what kept the resistance working during the Occupation
                Baseball doesn't strike me as a sport where strength would be a trump card.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

All I know is that in that episode even with teamwork Sisko's team still got trounced by that Vulcan's team....although to be fair I think most of Sisko's team didn't have much experience with the game....but yeah if the Bajorans have better teamwork and lots of guile they could conceivably win against the Vulcans

Comment

All I know is that in that episode even with teamwork Sisko's team still got trounced by that Vulcan's team....although to be fair I think most of Sisko's team didn't have much experience with the game....but yeah if the Bajorans have better teamwork and lots of guile they could conceivably win against the Vulcans
                    I seem to remember a lot of bickering, infighting, and incompetence from Sisko's team...
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Its an unfair comparison. With the exception of Sisko and Jake they were all amateurs. The Vulcan team obviously had practice probably so the captain could rub it in Sisko's face. The deck was stacked against Sisko from the start
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Its an unfair comparison. With the exception of Sisko and Jake they were all amateurs. The Vulcan team obviously had practice probably so the captain could rub it in Sisko's face. The deck was stacked against Sisko from the start
                        Which is why I said that after Bajor has a league and a few seasons under it's belt, that particular disadvantage disappears.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Then we are in agreement. We will celebrate with kanar and root beer
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Yup...I do agree that with experience a Bajoran team could beat a Vulcan team (though the Bajorans would have to train extra hard in Vulcan planet-like environments in order to be able to effectively play when the Vulcans are hosting the game in question)

I think the problem in that particular episode was that the Vulcan captain was very adept at pushing all of Sisko's buttons and was able to successfully goad Sisko into playing a game, knowing that Sisko didn't have anybody properly trained to play the game (or even work together as a team in said game) and thus knew that the game would be very one-sided

If I were in Sisko's shoes that day I would've channeled Spock, raised an eyebrow, and been like "Ya know....arrogance is an emotion....aren't ya supposed to be keping a lid on those?"

Comment

Yup...I do agree that with experience a Bajoran team could beat a Vulcan team (though the Bajorans would have to train extra hard in Vulcan planet-like environments in order to be able to effectively play when the Vulcans are hosting the game in question)

I think the problem in that particular episode was that the Vulcan captain was very adept at pushing all of Sisko's buttons and was able to successfully goad Sisko into playing a game, knowing that Sisko didn't have anybody properly trained to play the game (or even work together as a team in said game) and thus knew that the game would be very one-sided

If I were in Sisko's shoes that day I would've channeled Spock, raised an eyebrow, and been like "Ya know....arrogance is an emotion....aren't ya supposed to be keping a lid on those?"
                              I think that was certainly the point of the ending in that episode.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X