• Show
Clear All

Words with friends is basically Scrabble
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Words with friends is basically Scrabble
      with 200 millon subscribers, that's more than the Kardashians.
      Zynga is worth north of 10 Billion dollars.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro View Post
        Might just be something to "test the waters". If it's a success and catches on, something bigger and better will come.
        Testing the waters in the US, sure. International fans are excluded.
        Digital content with a subscription, and limited free content.

Good luck MGM!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

What if it's unlimited Stargate content? As in, they will no longer allow other networks or streaming services to air Stargate content and can only exclusively be accessed at Stargate Command for a fee.

Comment

That would be a pretty stupid business move
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Darwin Award level of stupidity.

Comment

Though it sounds stupid, if we really want to be paranoid; the original film was on Netflix in the NL for a while, then got removed very quickly. Atlantis was on there before that when I first subscribed, then got removed too. A while ago, I believe all shows were removed from Amazon Prime (or only SG-1, I don't remember exactly). Commercial TV never ever broadcasts them anymore. In all the twenty years since I've known Stargate, the original film was only shown once, at most twice, on TV here. The special MGM digital channel did show the two SG-1 films several times, but both that channel and Syfy are now gone here.

Being paranoid, I wouldn't be surprised if Stargate Command would be the only place to see anything of Stargate, except for the DVDs. Judging by the fact that they've named it after the one thing on Earth that makes sure the Stargate Program stays a secret.

Comment

Yes except for that's exactly what Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are doing with their original programming. Those are obviously terrible business plans that aren't growing at all...

Comment

Those three have an long-established framework, which includes hundreds of products of a variety of genres, creators, franchises and corporations. What MGM is doing is exclusive to Stargate, which, unfortunately, is not as popular/well-known as Star Trek, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, or whatever (regardless of what any of us think about those things). MGM screwed up the marketing and advertising of the franchise ever since it was created, relying almost entirely on word-of-mouth and the willingness of foreign commercial TV stations to broadcast it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                      Yes except for that's exactly what Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are doing with their original programming. Those are obviously terrible business plans that aren't growing at all...
                      Not the same thing. Nivao already explained it so I see no reason to repeat itself. Treat Hulu lor Netflix like a channel for the Internet. If MGM had offered their library on a subscription service that was just their then they could be comparable
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't disagree that it's not an apples to apples comparison. Just trying to make sense of why they would create a pay site for one 10 week show. What incentive would there be to continue to pay for a site unless you have access to content not otherwise available? Maybe they expand the universe and begin having more shows etc...

Comment

That is the million dollar question. As the majority of us have said, this marketing strategy doesn't make sense
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                            MGM screwed up the marketing and advertising of the franchise ever since it was created, relying almost entirely on word-of-mouth and the willingness of foreign commercial TV stations to broadcast it.
                            Not willingness -- money.

Up until, the end of the Syfy channel, SG1 and SGU were shown. Then the channel disappeared and so did the shows.

And I don't think there's a single channel currently doing reruns of any of the shows. Stargate as a whole has completely disappeared from view, and can only be found on DVD (or BlueRay) and when a local convention organizer invites actors from the show (and those are limited)

Comment

SG-1 is always on syfy out here.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I think I saw where SG-1 is being shown on the El Rey network. All three are still on Hulu as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X