Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't need to be Star Wars to be successful. Stargate has a decent enough of a fan base to have a successful relaunch. Looks like the comics are doing well so that shows there is interest. SyFy has recently "rebranded" itself and is focusing more on actual sci-fi content. Imagine that!! Maybe in a few years when the current lineup of shows begins to run there course a new brand of Stargate will step in.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
      Stargate has a decent enough of a fan base to have a successful relaunch.
      Does it?

How many people, randomly picked will know what Stargate is?

Looks like the comics are doing well so that shows there is interest.
      I have the opposite impression.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Does it?

How many people, randomly picked will know what Stargate is?

I have the opposite impression.
        Always so negative! Amazon showed the comic as a best seller. I don't know what that means specefically but I imagine its better than not being one. Comics are limited in the audience (this is the first time I have ever read a comic) so not much is expected. If I ask a randomly picked person if they like any form of science fiction I usually get a blank stare. It's a niche that only a few things have really broken through to "mainstream." What I am saying is for it to be successful it doesn't have to beat out the biggest blockbuster hit ever...it just needs to do well in a time slot on TV or good streaming ratings and maybe pull people away from reality TV.

Comment

Always so negative!
          Not negative, realistic.

...it just needs to do well in a time slot on TV or good streaming ratings and maybe pull people away from reality TV.
          And therein lies the problem. Not reality TV (that's a problem on so many levels) but the time slot and the ratings.

People don't watch TV like they used to. They either watch live (rarely), or watch later or download, or stream but ratings alone are no longer representative of who is watching, when and where.

In the end, it's not the fanbase who determine whether a show is viable or not, it's the random American viewers who do.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Not negative, realistic.

And therein lies the problem. Not reality TV (that's a problem on so many levels) but the time slot and the ratings.

People don't watch TV like they used to. They either watch live (rarely), or watch later or download, or stream but ratings alone are no longer representative of who is watching, when and where.

In the end, it's not the fanbase who determine whether a show is viable or not, it's the random American viewers who do.
            Which suggests that, other than a movie reboot - any future for the show would like in something like Netflix. As is the case for the new Trek show. Normal television networks are not friendly to science-fiction shows these days.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes the ability to binge watch is an a absolute must for a show with a lot of storytelling and story arcs.

Comment

Working...
              X