Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other SF books in space (space exploration) like SGU or Blake's 7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other SF books in space (space exploration) like SGU or Blake's 7 ?

Anyone have recommendations for books that take place entirely in space, on a ship, in the vein of Stargate Universe or Blake's 7 ? (preferably not military sci-fi, no war books).

Thanks.

What exactly are you looking for? The space exploration part? The crew dynamics?

Comment

2001 perhaps? Or the Expanse series? Hard to say without knowing which particular aspect is the part that appeals to you.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by StarbaseOne View Post
        Anyone have recommendations for books that take place entirely in space, on a ship, in the vein of Stargate Universe or Blake's 7 ? (preferably not military sci-fi, no war books).

Thanks.
        Not 100% space, he has to tell the story of how they ended up in space, but consider Robert Heinlein's "Methuselah's Children"

Comment

The space exploration part.

Comment

Thanks! I should have specified: something from the past 15 years. I have devoured everything from pre-2000, especially from the famous authors like Heinlein. (I'm 50 years old and have read 10,000 books) haha.

Anything new, as I'm not finding much from this decade.

Comment

Thanks! I should have specified: something from the past 15 years. I have devoured everything from pre-2000
              *spontaneously feels very old*

(I'm 50 years old and have read 10,000 books) haha.
              Nothing wrong with either!

Mm i've been spending money buying good books in the past 3 years but finding good sci fi is hard, so i definitely feel you there. I suppose Ender's Game, Foundation and Forever War are already on the "read" list then?

The Expanse is a great book series and i can recommend that, although it would be stretching the "space exploration" and "no military sci fi/ war" parts. It's mostly about First Contact, or rather about how humanity changes (and won't change) when we get to space. it does follow James Holden and his crew, a thing i always felt was very Stargate-like.

Other than that i'm drawing a blank here. The Martian stretches the "space" part.

EDIT:
              can i flip the question back to you? Any particular books that you read that i should've?

Comment

Alastair Reynolds Poseidons Children was a enjoyable novel.

Star Trek Titan series had a lot of exploration.
                Last edited by knowles2; 28 June 2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

It's set in a distant future where humans have ventured out into the galaxy, have met our alien neighbours and are now integrated into a Galactic Commons, a UN of the galaxy so to speak.

It's about the crew of the Wayfarer and their job is to create stable wormholes through space. This is not a plot or action-driven story. It has plenty of action and a rather simple plot, but what drives it is its character-driven narrative, the interactions and day to day life of the Wayfarer's crew, as well as discovering a vast galaxy of the most spectacular, well developed and fascinating alien species and their cultures I've ever seen. It also tackles pressing issues that we face on earth today, such as war, sexuality, disability, prejudice, family, finding one's own identity, and more.

I could gush about this book for hours. If you prefer plot-driven sci-fi chances are you won't like this and you'll find it slow, but I'd say take a chance!

Comment

Working...
                  X