This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rose's frustration of the TARDIS Translation circuit

In the episode The End of the World, why was Rose Tyler angry about the TARDIS translation circuit; despite that it helps her understand other languages? When she said that the aliens speak English, the Ninth Doctor explained that the TARDIS has put a telepathic field into her head and translated languages. However, she got furious and asked why he didn’t ask. Ask what?

For permission to put a telepathic field into her head?

Comment

What's wrong with that?

Comment

I'll bet it's not FDA approved...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          I'll bet it's not FDA approved...
          Will you guys please be serious and answer my questions properly?

Comment

I have not seen the episode, not actually seen much since the Darlek days.
            But I would guess Rosie is one of those modern, 'bra burner', womens rights women. It does not matter how logical or helpful it would appear to a man that the Tardis does this, for a woman it is taking advantage of her. She should have been asked for her permission to do this.
            Plus she probably felt stupid for not realising the aliens were not really speaking English, and again felt the Doctor was putting her down by showing off his male superior knowledge.
            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor C View Post
              Because she doesn't know anything about it. She's just met the Doctor. She barely knows anything about him and went with him as purely a spur of the moment thing. So when she's told there's a psychic field in her head, her natural first response is going to be to wonder what else it's doing. If it's telepathically translating is it also reading her thoughts in order for her to translate back. And if that is the case can the Doctor read her thoughts...

So yes I'd say the question of permission is very much one that would come up in a person's mind. Despite what Who Knows says above.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Doctor C, P-90 is correct.

Spoiler:
                Spoiler if you have not watched the rest of new who. It's the same situation as what happens later with Donna Noble. The doctor -chooses- to take the information from Donna's head to save her life -even though- Donna makes it perfectly clear she would rather die than forget about the last year of her life.
                It's a question of the doctor imposing -his will- on others.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                  I have not seen the episode, not actually seen much since the Darlek days.
                  But I would guess Rosie is one of those modern, 'bra burner', womens rights women. It does not matter how logical or helpful it would appear to a man that the Tardis does this, for a woman it is taking advantage of her. She should have been asked for her permission to do this.
                  Plus she probably felt stupid for not realising the aliens were not really speaking English, and again felt the Doctor was putting her down by showing off his male superior knowledge.
                  How hard on your jock strap did you pull to get that answer out? Go back to your MGTOW boards.
                  sigpic

Comment

I do certainly apologise for the light-hearted initial response to your question, based on my part on what I saw as a logical answer based on the circumstances at play.

As a real world example... in 2014 Apple decided, without consultation, that all of its iPhone/etc users would be happy to receive U2's latest album for free onto their electronic devices, and uploaded the music without any kind of acceptance from the end user. The result was a massive backtrack and apology from both Apple and U2, as they soon realised just how pissed off this made people.

The irony of this whole situation, was the fact that the TARDIS' telepathic circuits had been performing this translation function for companions since the series began (although only officially acknowledged in The Masque of Mandragora (1976)), and yet this was the first time anyone reacted negatively to the experience. It was in fact a showcase of the fact that Doctor Who was now treating the "companion" to the Doctor with a great deal more respect and character development. Indeed, they were receiving essentially equal billing with the Doctor, rather than just being the "sidekick".

In fact, if you watch the whole story to the point you question - I propose that Rose is in fact not wholly upset by the translation circuit - but moreso at herself for getting into the position she was in with this alien being - something else we'd never really seen before despite some pretty gut wrenching companion debuts throughout Classic Who.
                    Last edited by cosmichobo; 13 June 2017, 02:21 AM.
                    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                    and lots more!

Comment

Also, why did the Doctor refuse to tell Rose who he is and where he's from?

Comment

He is ashamed of his actions in the time war and he believes at that stage he is the last of the time lords.
                        sigpic

Comment

Also, why did the Doctor refuse to tell Rose who he is and where he's from?
                          Long story short... this is why the show is called 'Doctor WHO'.

He's meant to have some form of mystery to him.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Sadly those days of "MYSTERY" are long, LONG Gone.
                            I like Sharky
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                              Sadly those days of "MYSTERY" are long, LONG Gone.
                              I disagree. There's still more than enough mystery to the character. But ultimately the show would get equally as boring if we didn't get a few tidbits of information every so often.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X