No announcement yet.

Like one Like them all SG1, SGA, SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed the original movie and was intrigued when I happened to come across different people running out of a familiar looking gate on the small screen whilst channel surfing. Until then I didn't know that a TV series had been made and I got hooked on SG-1. It had everything, adventure, great character interactions and humour. It's one of the few shows I can watch again and again.

SGA was not my favourite and gave up on it after the first season. It started out well and I loved seeing the splendor of Atlantis and the idea of all the mysteries it contained. When I didn't get to see as much of Atlantis as I would have liked and it seemed going out and causing problems in the Pegasus galaxy was the usual fare I got bored with it. I have since watched the whole series and SGA has some great episodes but overall it still remains my least favourite of the franchise.

Aaah, SGU, just like Marmite, love it or hate it!!! I had to persevere to get to the five episode mark which I subscribe to as well. I couldn't deal with the shaky, zoom in zoom out camera work either but it was still Stargate and like SGA I wanted to see if I would get fed up with it or not. All I can say is I'm glad I did get past the mid season point and watched all of it in the end. Only by watching all of what we got did I realise that the slow burn first half was the foundation for the rest and it just got better and better making its cancellation harder to take when it was just getting really interesting.

I came to like many of the characters for the fact they weren't stalwart heroes but scared people stuck on a ship trying to hold on to a way of life taken suddenly from them. Throw the unknown dangers of the ship and what they come across along the way to this already fragile base made SGU interesting to watch as these people didn't have the same security of contact with Earth as the people of SG-1 and SGA did. The 'contact' with Earth via the stones I didn't like as it meant we still saw familiar things when more attention should have been given to Destiny and the unfamiliar things around it. For me this departure gave SGU that extra edge of suspense that I felt was lost after season 2 of SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Rats... Maybe one of your networks will do reruns on it soon..
      I wouldn't put it on soon, but there's one network on which Stargate reruns could happen.

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      Aaah, SGU, just like Marmite, love it or hate it!!!
      I kinda like Marmite, but definitely not Vegimite.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        I wouldn't put it on soon, but there's one network on which Stargate reruns could happen.

I kinda like Marmite, but definitely not Vegimite.
        So, you may like SGU if you try it...I don't like Marmite, but I did like SGU! it's a mystery

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with the age people where when the different stargate series aired.
          For me i grew up on SG-1 and loved it but by the time SGA came along i had the feeling they made SGA to attract a younger audience, so i watched it but never really got in to it like i did with SG-1. When SGU came around i really liked it, i loved the great acting,story and more believable characters but i do think that they took a little bit to much time to tell their story, for me that show had the potential to be one of the best shows ever if they had edited it with a little bit faster pacing in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Arend(BE) View Post
            I think a lot of it has to do with the age people where when the different stargate series aired.
            For me i grew up on SG-1 and loved it but by the time SGA came along i had the feeling they made SGA to attract a younger audience, so i watched it but never really got in to it like i did with SG-1. When SGU came around i really liked it, i loved the great acting,story and more believable characters but i do think that they took a little bit to much time to tell their story, for me that show had the potential to be one of the best shows ever if they had edited it with a little bit faster pacing in mind.
            True dat. many of those i know off board, who liked SGU, also watched the others, while those who never saw the others, disliked SGU..

Comment

Originally posted by Arend(BE) View Post
              With respect, but I very much disagree. I grew up with SG-1 too, with the initial broadcast of the series in the Netherlands (probably a year or so after the first broadcast). I also grew up with Atlantis, and I will love both shows to death. I repeatedly rewatch the shows again and again, but I just can't get myself to watch Universe, at all. I own all DVDs, except Universe season 2, and is the only reason I still have a DVD player in my computer/laptop. I am just not bothered to rewatch Universe season 1 let alone buy season 2, regardless if it's better. I know Atlantis is similar to SG-1 in many respects such as the characters, but I still love it because of its signature elements. Universe however is so different that the elements that I loved in the first two shows are gone or have changed so much.

Still, I will probably finish Universe eventually, because despite me disliking it, I still consider it part of the Stargate universe (no pun intended). I will also probably get the comics if only to get closure of some sort. Probably when MGM has the brilliant idea of releasing SG-1 in remastered HD Blu-ray format and finally releasing Stargate Universe The Complete Series on Blu-ray (I can only find Season 1).

Comment

I initially watched Atlantis while on active duty in the Air Force. I was in my early 20'S at the time. A friend tried to get me to watch SG-1 and I didn't like it at first. After Atlantis ended I picked up with Universe and really liked it, I also liked Battlestar so I guess that makes sense. It wasn't until last year, after a second watch through of SGU that I decided to "force" myself to watch SG1 (now in my early 30's). It took about 2 seasons and then I was hooked and liked it just as much as the others. I consider them all great! They are all different in ways, buts that's okay. Just like a musician or band, you have to explore different things and change things or you will become boring. Personally, I liked how things changed as the shows went along. If it were to keep the same "feel" of SG1 then it would have been a copy cat show with different characters. The "tone" of SGU was darker because the situation was "darker." The thought of being basically stranded on that ship so far from home, with a group that was never supposed to be there in the first place was intriguing. The drama that went on was more realistic than the previous shows. Yes it was "space-opera" ish but that would be realistic in their situation. Sorry for the rant...I know it is also not everyone's cup of tea so I know other's disagree. We can all still be Stargate pals right?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                  We can all still be Stargate pals right?

Mmm... I don't know... how do you feel about Infinity?

Comment

You know the rules about mentioning the forbidden series. Report to Wraith thread for your feeding
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      You know the rules about mentioning the forbidden series. Report to Wraith thread for your feeding
                      Frell...

Comment

I still don't get why the Ancients look like humans, they should look like nasty worms. And why does the gate's vortex destroy everything?

Comment

I love them all! The Stargate itself and the story opportunities are the main character for me and I'm willing to give all the shows a go! I happen to find things in all of them to enjoy and enjoy them over all because of it!
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I only got into the fanbase a few years ago. I'd seen a few episodes of SG-1 and SGA here and there but never followed either show during its syndication.

I started properly watching SGA first and absolutely loved it. The only episodes I haven't seen are "Harmony" and "Identity" I think. I went back and watched key episodes of SG-1 throughout all 10 seasons, skimming the filler. Loved it, especially the Asgard - their episodes are my favourites.

Then I started SGU. Oh boy. It took me 5 attempts to get through the first episode of the three-part pilot. I severely disliked it. I skimmed through most of the episodes afterwards, though "Time" is a good episode, and maybe "Faith". I hated the constant in-fighting and melodrama. I would have expected it to happen but not to the extent where it was drawn out over 1 1/2 seasons. Season 2 was better but too little too late for me, though I will say that the Novus storyline is fantastic and the last 4 episodes (which include the Novus storyline) are brilliant.

Since then I've gone back and filled in most of the SG-1 episodes that I had missed, even the awful ones "Emancipation" included. It was painful.

As a whole, I love SG-1, adore SGA and generally dislike SGU, though I recognise that it has its good points, though few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
                              I started properly watching SGA first and absolutely loved it. The only episodes I haven't seen are "Harmony" and "Identity" I think.
                              Those two aren't the strongest SGA episodes

Then I started SGU. Oh boy. It took me 5 attempts to get through the first episode of the three-part pilot. I severely disliked it. I skimmed through most of the episodes afterwards, though "Time" is a good episode, and maybe "Faith". I hated the constant in-fighting and melodrama. I would have expected it to happen but not to the extent where it was drawn out over 1 1/2 seasons. Season 2 was better but too little too late for me, though I will say that the Novus storyline is fantastic and the last 4 episodes (which include the Novus storyline) are brilliant.
                              Yea, SGU had a lot of awkwardness to it, yet sadly i think it was cancelled when it really found it's place. But looking back, i can't think of many series i watched that had an excellent Season

Since then I've gone back and filled in most of the SG-1 episodes that I had missed, even the awful ones "Emancipation" included. It was painful.
                              I think Emancipation is universally considered to be the one that never happened. Even the writers/producers hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                Those two aren't the strongest SGA episodes
                                Harmony is quite possibly the only episode which has the best ending of all episodes --
                                It's an entirely forgettable episode but that ending had me laughing for a full minute. A pure, unforced laugh bubbled up from deep within me... it was glorious.

Comment

Working...
                                X