Like one Like them all SG1, SGA, SGU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like one Like them all SG1, SGA, SGU

This may just be me and my local group of scifi friends but I have found that a lot of people seem to only like one SG series and tear all the others apart. I myself like all 3 so what is the difference to everybody else?

Well, I for one enjoy it all, including the original movie. Except of course that one animated show that should be erased from the timeline. SGU is borderline, because for me it lost, or reduced, most of the elements that made Stargate good; humor, adventure, lovable characters, and most of all (though it is subjective), the focus around the gate as a plot generator. Nevertheless, I do like the concept around the Destiny and still consider it part of the entire universe, unlike that other show. I think it grew on me after the announcement of the Stargate reboot. But I still haven't seen the second season, which is my subconscious way of saying I don't really like it, since I've seen everything else a hundred times by now.

Comment

I like all of them, including the original movie. My least favorite part of the franchise is actually the Ori storyline on SG-1. SGU was a bit depressing at times, but nevertheless I enjoyed it.
      sigpic

Comment

I do like the original movie, SG1 and SGA but not SGU, because it was the wrong kind of different for my taste
        Last edited by DarkenLycht; 06 June 2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I like them all except SGU and SGI. I like dark, nitty, gritty, but I didn't care about SGU's characters in the slightest. Eli, Chloe, and Rush were the only interesting ones for me. Near the end of the season I stopped watching watching because I just didn't care about what happened. I still think a darker stargate could work but I don't think SGU did it right.

As for SGI...yeah, everything in it was stupid. Except for Bodnar, every character was an idiot and every plot was predictable and the villains were painfully inept and one dimensional.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Can't say I have seen the animated show so I'm not sure on that one but my view of SGU was that they were trying for a "clean slate" but still using the Stargate premice . Instead of the humour, adverture and so on they tried to dramatised and grunge it up. If you take it almost as a standalone show it is quite good I think.

Comment

Is it just me or were the Ori kind of a clone of the Goa'uld storyline? That's how I saw it making it a little bit repetitive.

Comment

I never watched SGI but I don't feel that I have missed much!

Comment

I enjoy the original movie, the SG1 movies, and all three live action series. I haven't seen Infinity, though I've heard enough to avoid it. Plenty of other shows to watch.
                  sigpic
                  "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                  Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I love the movie and SG-1. I like Atlantis.

Universe is the one I love to gate, but still like. It goes in a different direction and frankly some of it I couldn't care less for. The drama, cheating, sex scenes etc. I feel TV/movies already full of that and one thing I loved about SG was that it was adventure/mystery/friendship. Each episode kind of left feeling good about humanity. And this is what ruined Universe for me. They tried to be a different kind of show and yeah. Still angry that it got cancelled though. Just when it was getting good.

Comment

Originally posted by Craziwolf View Post
                      Can't say I have seen the animated show so I'm not sure on that one but my view of SGU was that they were trying for a "clean slate" but still using the Stargate premice . Instead of the humour, adverture and so on they tried to dramatised and grunge it up. If you take it almost as a standalone show it is quite good I think.
                      I judge things based on its own merits rather than how closely it follows the original. To be absolutely fair, it wasn't bad. More of mediocre for the reasons I mentioned. Really forgettable characters. Whenever an episode would premiere you could sum it up by saying 'dark stuff happens' but you don't really care about the nature of the dark stuff because you don't care about who it is happening to.

Originally posted by Craziwolf View Post
                      Is it just me or were the Ori kind of a clone of the Goa'uld storyline? That's how I saw it making it a little bit repetitive.
                      It's not just you. Their MO's were the same, to get people to worship them as gods. This might not have irked me as much if it wasn't for the fact ori troops were reskinned jaffa: metal suits with staff weapons.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post

It's not just you. Their MO's were the same, to get people to worship them as gods. This might not have irked me as much if it wasn't for the fact ori troops were reskinned jaffa: metal suits with staff weapons.
                        Yes, good point, but then again in most sci-fi series there are foreign plantets with aliens that want to be worshiped as gods by the people who live there

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                          Yes, good point, but then again in most sci-fi series there are foreign plantets with aliens that want to be worshiped as gods by the people who live there
                          That should be even more incentive to create bad guy with a different MO. Yea but Goa'uld were cool but the purpose of a new villain is to present a completely new face to the challenge. I mean, is it really that hard to create new MO's for scifi villains? And at the very least give them something other than the laser-pointing-pitchfork to shoot.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                            That should be even more incentive to create bad guy with a different MO. Yea but Goa'uld were cool but the purpose of a new villain is to present a completely new face to the challenge. I mean, is it really that hard to create new MO's for scifi villains? And at the very least give them something other than the laser-pointing-pitchfork to shoot.
                            I guess in the case of SG1 they where just running out of really new ideas, the show had been running at the point when the Ori showed up for pretty long already. But I do agree with you, there totally

Comment

Originally posted by nivao View Post
                              Well, I for one enjoy it all, including the original movie. Except of course that one animated show that should be erased from the timeline. SGU is borderline, because for me it lost, or reduced, most of the elements that made Stargate good;
                              Where as i disagree, that cause it wasn't as humorous etc, it was borderline. I very much loved SGU..

Comment

Working...
                              X