This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case for a reboot

Like all of you I am a SG fan and miss the show. My favourite was of course SG-1 followed by Atlantis. Recently I have been thinking how should SG be brought back. I guess there are as many ideas as there are fans and its impossible to find one perfect way that would satisfy everyone.

However recently I have been thinking that doing a reboot might be the best option. I know, I hear your growling and gritting teeth at me, but hear me out. I think SG currently is kind of walled itself in. All big baddies have been defeated (and I've never been fan of Wraiths), Earth is possession of some of the most advanced technologies in the universe, earth is no longer an underdog. And somehow for me it feels there is no direction a show could take to recapture the original feeling of tiny force fighting against much larger evil Goa'uld.

So if I had 100 mill to spend (or more) I would reboot the series, but not in a typical way:

I would have a Goa'uld who lost everything travel back in time and ensure Tau'ri never find the Stargate. However would ultimately fail in its goal to destroy people of ancient Egypt and would probably be killed. However do to its actions there would be a number of ripple effects small and big across the galaxy.

Ra would still be around and be the main antagonist now, but there is also a half-ascended Anubis and civil war and trouble is brewing all around the galaxy. I would start the show in the present day with a minor Goa'uld attacking the Earth (thinking it will be an easy victory) which would the thwarted and earth would survive, but everyone would know about aliens, Goa'uld and the stargate. No secrecy this time around.

Following this there would be mad chase to find ways to protect earth, deal with hysteria, mass panic, religious fanatics loosing their ****, etc. that would undoubtedly sweep across the planet. Due to Goa'uld and its activities we would find the antarctic stargate and learn how to use it.

The show would take off from here. I would have kind of feel good about humanity and generally positive outlook after every episode (it's what I love about SG-1). Good humour without too much sexism, drama and heavy romance. Also no bloody shaky cam! I would have RDA return in a role similar to General Hammond and get lot of former actors show up in one role or another or simply in cameos, but generally have a fresh new generation of actors to lead the show.

It would once again be underdog earth, present day technology, against wast and unknown galaxy. Many things would be similar to original show, but many things would also have changed. For example would be interesting if some enemies could this time around turn out to be friendly and former friends actually become enemies (friends with Aschen?). And some new ones thus far unknown as well. Maybe actually have Furlings this time around

Anyhow that what I imagine what new SG series could be like. What do you think? Would you watch something like that?

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am all for any form of Stargate returning. However, you say you want a reboot but it sounds like the exact same show as SG1 with the plot of Continuum added in. SG1 was a great show but it ran for 10 seasons and had run its course. If your idea were to come true many of the episodes would be almost exactly the same as the original show since the format, setting, characters and enemies are basically the same. It would be like watching re-runs of the original show but somebody edited them and changed a few details. Nothing new or interesting would be explored. SGU had a little too much drama but at least explored a new concept with the Stargate as its focus. I know some did t enjoy the darker more serious tone but a new show would have to explore a new concept like SGU was attempting to do. You can still have old characters drop in, and have a more "SG1-like" tone to it, but it would need to be a different type of adventure and new discoveries. Otherwise we can just watch re-runs if we don't want to see something new.

Comment

It could be interesting. Though, I don't see why Earth absolutely has to be the underdogs. It could still work depending on execution though there might be a few issues.

How do you intend on Earth fending off a Goa'uld invasion, even by a minor one? Considering early naquadah nukes couldn't even scratch the motherships during Apophis's invasion, I cant' imagine Earth would have anything to deal with even a single mothership.

One issue I foresee is the retreading of already familiar ground. Part of the thrill of stargate is the exploration of new worlds. The original series had most of their aliens be human while introducing foreign cultures supposedly influenced by the Goa'uld. By taking place in teh same galaxy with the same enemy, we will be refinding humans with foreign cultures we have already experienced before.

Which brings me to a curiosity question. You imagined the premise. Have you imagined any characters? Characters are arguably the most important thing and having a public stargate on a post-invasion earth would mean a colorful cast. And this will be the most important part of that positivity you mentioned. The characters would be the ultimate thing that keeps me watching.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by albeva View Post
        Like all of you I am a SG fan and miss the show. My favourite was of course SG-1 followed by Atlantis. Recently I have been thinking how should SG be brought back. I guess there are as many ideas as there are fans and its impossible to find one perfect way that would satisfy everyone.

However recently I have been thinking that doing a reboot might be the best option.

.snip..

Anyhow that what I imagine what new SG series could be like. What do you think? Would you watch something like that?
        Interesting premise. Though as a question. If that gou;ald wanted to really change things, why would he leave Anubis as a half ascended? WHY not go back to off him period, BEFORE he conned Oma..

Comment

I like the idea but one thing I would like to learn more about and see is a storyline that incorporates the furling's. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Craziwolf View Post
            I like the idea but one thing I would like to learn more about and see is a storyline that incorporates the furling's. Thoughts?
            Why stop at the Furlings? Why not have it explore the entire Alliance?

sigpic

Comment

True, but the furling's to me are the missing link within the story line? Regardless there are soo many options!
              May even be worth exploring some inter-galaxy war type situations like the wraith vs the Ori! that would be intense!

Comment

Would love to see a "prequel" with the 4 races and the battles they fought. Centered around the ancients or course. See the rise of the goa'uld, wraith and Ori. And yes...learn about the Furlings. Similar to what is going on now in the Aliens movie franchise. The new movies are giving some back story of how, when and why.

Comment

Wait another 20 years when CGI will probably be advanced and cheap enough to make individual-looking planets. The entire show could be shot on a soundstage and every planet would have a different colored sky, subtly different plants, etc. I never really bought the idea that the Goa'uld bothered to terraform pretty much identical-looking forested planets. It worked in the 1990s but would get laughed off the networks or streaming services now.
                  sigpic

Comment

I want to see new aliens and alien animals. I'd like to see something fancy and not just humans with pointy ears or blue skin. Something like what Mass Effect had.

Did ever really specify that the Goa'uld terroformed all those planets? I just kinda thought they were all naturally like that.

Also, guys, we must not forget what is easily the most important part of the stargate franchise and why I feel SGU failed. We need a team of lovable characters to watch go on these adventures. We always get premises but do people ever talk about what team they think could go with it?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                      Would love to see a "prequel" with the 4 races and the battles they fought. Centered around the ancients or course. See the rise of the goa'uld, wraith and Ori. And yes...learn about the Furlings. Similar to what is going on now in the Aliens movie franchise. The new movies are giving some back story of how, when and why.
                      I've always wanted to see a spin off that did just that, explore the ancients in their early years, their leaving the Ori, finding the Asguard and nox, forming the alliance etc.

Comment

Why wait 20 years? A lot of this could be achieved now with the current level of tech and still at a similar price to the normal tv production costs.

I did always assume though that these planets were terraformed by the ancients as they were settlements for similar human species? The Goa'uld simply took advantage of the Stargate network and planets already in place.

Comment

I agree with some of your points - doing a reboot would indeed make us revisit and redo already existing stories. But is it that bad on the whole? Thing with changes stemming from time travel is that imaginative writers should never run out of ideas for repercussions.

Also while I would keep the original feel of the show (humour, positive outlook on life, drama/romance in the background) the show would nonetheless be *very* different. For once it would no longer be a secret. It would be open knowledge to everyone. I think there is a lot to explore on how the world would respond. From culture, politics to religion.

I do think that whoever goes back in time has to either die or otherwise fail. If not we would have all-powerful and knowing Goa'uld who would have just destroyed Earth and everything else in the galaxy that might stand a chance. So for this reason alone time alterations should go out of hands. Although there are many many ways to achieve this of course.

As for how earth would survive the initial onslaught? Luck, bravery and I think some of our tech is not that useless especially if fighting comes to the ground or within our airspace. And some Tok'ra some other outside source might lend a helping hand so to speak.

In the end I just miss the show and I think there is something exciting about underdog stories in general. And I would want the show to take place in present day, on earth. Not some other galaxy far away that has a big disconnect.

Also I feel SG tech level has become too advanced and could do with some dumbing down. Otherwise I can't imagine how to do justice to the original show in terms of tech level.

Comment

In my opinion Stargate is a franchise with almost infinite possibilities. It all would just depend on imagination and skill of the producers/writers involved. Yes the complete reboot with whole new from the start exploration of galaxy could work well, but recently I was thinking revival wouldn`t be bad idea either

Actually I`m kind of surprised that in a time when Hollywood is making a reboot or a revival of every other TV show from the last 30 years, it didn`t come to Stargate. The show certainly has a potential to continue and tell a bunch of whole new stories, the limitation would be just minds of producers. If it was done right, the new show could easily last for five full years. The gate makes a good plot base thanks to which heroes could meet brand new friends and enemies, even explore new galaxies.

Best of all is the thing that this universe is not limited by characters (like for example Xena), so they could just continue and not rebooting. Like Star Trek and The Next Generation. They could make adventures of a new team at SGC or Atlantis or some other place, but tied to SGC. The original actors who would be interested could even guess star, or if unavailable a fate of their characters could be mentioned or they could be talked to through phone. It could be interesting to find out in some episode what changed in the past 10 years, if Sam ever made to General, if Jack retired or how Daniel and Teal`c are faring. And it would be really funny if we saw in first episode Hariman in the same spot as he was in for the past 20 years telling us: Chewron x encoded . But this all would be just on the periphery. Important is that they could easily make brand new team of interesting people who would have to meet new challenges. In scifi there are no limitations of what can be done as long as it`s done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Denisa View Post
                              It could be interesting to find out in some episode what changed in the past 10 years, if Sam ever made to General, if Jack retired or how Daniel and Teal`c are faring. .
                              IMO if they did a reboot, i would actually try to keep it as much as possible NOT about the original cast making little appearances here and there. Just so people could try and make a bond with the newer characters, rathe than only turning it on to try and see how many cameos they could spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X