The tardis, a space ship??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tardis, a space ship??

Ok, so we all know the tardis is a time traveling vessel. But is it also a space ship? And if so, how does it survive in space if say it got into a battle?

Simple answer?
    Yes, it's a space ship as well as a time travel machine. Time And Relative Dimension In Space.
    As to how it survives in battle, they have shields, shown multiple times over the course of DW. There are also several other systems that keep the old girl intact, but that would require a deep, deep dive into TARDIS temporal mechanics.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Ok, so we all know the tardis is a time traveling vessel. But is it also a space ship? And if so, how does it survive in space if say it got into a battle?
      Depending on your beliefs about us being the only race in the galaxy, or not.

What defenses did the apollo spaceships have flying to the moon? The ships now orbitting Mars or Mercury or wherever? The spacestation floating around?

Yes, I know The Doctor has enemies who wish him harm, & who are more advaced than us. But we do not arm our space craft or space station.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Eh? I'm sorry but the post above makes absolutely no sense. We're talking fiction here so no point in bringing reality into it.

I don't think the TARDIS is armed. If it worked as it should, it could morph into anything, including a powerful battleship. But as it's only a police phone box, it doesn't have any weapons. Occasionally the Doctor will trigger it to self-destruct, but AFAIK it hasn't blown up yet...
        sigpic

Comment

There are "battle TARDISes" with weaponry, but the Doctor's is unarmed. It also has some minor shield capacity, which was exponentially increased when he obtained a tribophysical waveform macro-kinetic extrapolator in Boom Town.

Also, as seen in Flatline, the TARDIS can become impenetrable when it enters a "siege mode".
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
            Depending on your beliefs about us being the only race in the galaxy, or not.

What defenses did the apollo spaceships have flying to the moon? The ships now orbitting Mars or Mercury or wherever? The spacestation floating around?

Yes, I know The Doctor has enemies who wish him harm, & who are more advaced than us. But we do not arm our space craft or space station.
            Even if we did arm our spacecraft, what good will it do? Any visiting species would have to have beaten the FTL barrier in some fashion, and I don't think any weapon or defense available to us would have the slightest effect on any race who had mastered the energies required to beat FTL. In short, if they come here now, at our level of development, just the fact that they can get here clearly indicates we have no business fighting with them.

Comment

Thank you for your answer annoyed, it makes perfect sense to me now.
              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Societies are like the people that make them up. We humans are taught to be optimistic, "never give up", that kind of thing, so that's they way most of us think.

There are situations an individual cannot win against and the same is true of societies. In this case, fighting against a species that can beat FTL is a definite no-win for us, but because we have been conditioned to be optimistic, it's hard for most people to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                  There are "battle TARDISes" with weaponry, but the Doctor's is unarmed. It also has some minor shield capacity, which was exponentially increased when he obtained a tribophysical waveform macro-kinetic extrapolator in Boom Town.

Also, as seen in Flatline, the TARDIS can become impenetrable when it enters a "siege mode".
                  So basically it's a mary sue' of ships..

Comment

It's also sexy, so yes.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It's a ship that destroyed the entire universe once when it exploded... So yes.

But also no. It's highly advanced and uses technology beyond most civilisations understanding. Take for example that the box itself isn't even really the ship. The TARDIS itself is in another dimension, the phone box is just the doorway to it which can move around, yet is still physically connected to the rest of the ship.

Once you're inside the TARDIS it is much more vulnerable. There are things you can do to damage it. But it takes a race with the same level of tech as the Timelords to destroy a TARDIS from the outside. Like for example the Daleks who can blast through that wouldn't looking phone box like it is just wood.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yes, I can see how it can be hard to see how it can be called a "Space Ship" when it almost NEVER actually leaves the planet Earth. ff But even when it does it never goes to an actual ALIEN Planet anyway so....
                        I like Sharky
                        sigpic

Comment

Conceptually the TARDIS was really only intended as a vehicle to take the Doctor and companion/s into a situation for them to frolic and have fun/avoid getting killed. I imagine the idea of the TARDIS as a traditional "space ship" was heavily avoided due to the production costs such a fete would involve. Indeed - although we saw a SFX to represent the TARDIS moving through time in An Unearthly Child, we did not actually see the TARDIS "in flight" until the second season, and then only a very simple model shot.

The first time we saw the TARDIS actually in a remotely space-battle type scenario was during that second season - The Chase - when the Daleks own time machine was giving pursuit. Model shots were used to show the TARDIS and Dalek ships travelling through the time vortex (not that it was called that back then), however there was never any indication of any intention by either party to have an epic space battle - the fighting was done wherever the time vessels landed.

During the Second Doctor's era we saw several occasions with the TARDIS coming under physical attack. The Great Intelligence covered it in web whilst it was "hovering" in space. It was covered in lava. Attacked by a Kroton with acid (when we first saw the "HADS" Hostile Action Displacement System). And the Time Lords forcibly retrieved the TARDIS to Gallifrey, although this appeared to be by remote or perhaps some psychic control.

Later with the Third Doctor we saw the Doctor use his TARDIS to "time ram" the Master's TARDIS by materialising exactly where the other TARDIS was trying to materialise. This again involved some model shots, but it's not as if either vessel dropped the laser canons and engaged in battle. For one, they don't have lasers, and second, they don't have lasers.

In the Fourth Doctor's later years there were a few instances of the TARDIS doing spacey things - creating air corridors, providing assistance to other space vessels using various sci-fi garbage... At some point there was a cricket analogy, using the TARDIS to hit an object with lots of spin...

So um, yeah... the TARDIS *IS* a space ship, however the BBC never had the budget to make space look as good as shows like Star Trek, and so avoided such instances as best they could.

The new era of the show however, with much better budgets, has not had that problem, and the TARDIS has on occasion been more involved.
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Here's a picture done by a fan of what the actual TARDIS might look like if we were able to see the actual ship inside the box so to speak.

Here you go.

https://johninadelaide67.deviantart....-001-190522178
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X