Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Captain xkawaiix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,686

    Earth Symbol Question About Ori Powers

    So it's been about ... 10 years since I've been on here, but I really had no where else to turn for this question!

    Without having to rewatch all of seasons 9 and 10, and the movies, I was hoping someone could explain how believers are connected to Ori powers. I've scoured wikipages and blogs across the interwebs but still don't have a thorough or straight answer (assuming there is one).

    I know that the more followers and worshipers they had, the more powerful they became. But I don't get the biological/spiritual flow of faith to Ori muscle.

    (Bonus question!) if Ori are essentially the same higher-being as the Ancients, how is it possible that the Ancients were still of equal power (that is, until Adria was born) enough to protect the knowledge of the Pegasus Galaxy and Milky Way?

    Appreciate any insight and also shout out to the mods for keeping this awesome corner of the internet and part of my adolescence up and running

  2. #2
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Question About Ori Powers

    Quote Originally Posted by xkawaiix View Post
    So it's been about ... 10 years since I've been on here, but I really had no where else to turn for this question!

    Without having to rewatch all of seasons 9 and 10, and the movies, I was hoping someone could explain how believers are connected to Ori powers. I've scoured wikipages and blogs across the interwebs but still don't have a thorough or straight answer (assuming there is one).

    I know that the more followers and worshipers they had, the more powerful they became. But I don't get the biological/spiritual flow of faith to Ori muscle.

    (Bonus question!) if Ori are essentially the same higher-being as the Ancients, how is it possible that the Ancients were still of equal power (that is, until Adria was born) enough to protect the knowledge of the Pegasus Galaxy and Milky Way?

    Appreciate any insight and also shout out to the mods for keeping this awesome corner of the internet and part of my adolescence up and running
    Well, to start off with the Ori and the Alterans were off the same blood, essentially. Highly advanced people on an evolutionary path to ascension and the Ori outnumbered the Alterans when they built their spaceship and left. The book of Origin tells the tale of a mountain at "Ortus Mallum" that caught fire or blew up, i.e. a volcanic explosion. So as far the Ori were concerned the Alterans were no more. The journey of the Alterans took many years, possibly hundreds, maybe thousands of years until they found "Avalon" aka Earth. This is all according to the journal left behind by Merlin in the cave at Glastonbury. By this time it's possible that the Ori had already ascended, and would've had no idea where the Alterans/Ancients went to. The Ancients only knew of the existence of the Ori through their own history, and so when they ascended adopted the policy of non-interference in all matters in the lower plains to set themselves apart from their fanatical cousins. Being outnumbered back in the Ori galaxy would've been a moot point since they were now God only knows how light years they were away from their home. They obviously flourished, built Destiny, Atlantis, and began seeding life in the MW, until they either died from some unspecified plaque, at the hands of the wraith, or ascended. As far as how the Ori get their powers from the followers is a bit tricky. When a devout follower of the religion surrenders wholeheartedly the free will it feeds "the fires" that give the Ori their power. The more people that worship them the stronger they get essentially. That's why Orlin came back in the Fourth Horseman to warn us. If in fact the Ori did ascend their followrs, as the book Origin tells, they'd have to share their power. Their only goal in life was to finish their quest from millions of years ago which was wiping the Alterans from existence. The end.
    Last edited by Bhousden; May 25th, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

  3. #3
    Colonel Spimman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chasing 8 little feet
    Posts
    6,850

    Default Re: Question About Ori Powers

    Quote Originally Posted by xkawaiix View Post
    (Bonus question!) if Ori are essentially the same higher-being as the Ancients, how is it possible that the Ancients were still of equal power (that is, until Adria was born) enough to protect the knowledge of the Pegasus Galaxy and Milky Way?
    Neither the Ori nor the Ancients were All Knowing. They operated on a higher level and likely could learn anything but they didn't know everything there was to know about the entire universe. So if the Alterans location was unknown before Ascension to the Ori it would still be unknown after Ascension.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Question About Ori Powers

    Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    Neither the Ori nor the Ancients were All Knowing. They operated on a higher level and likely could learn anything but they didn't know everything there was to know about the entire universe. So if the Alterans location was unknown before Ascension to the Ori it would still be unknown after Ascension.
    That's pretty much what i said.......

  5. #5
    Captain xkawaiix's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,686

    Default Re: Question About Ori Powers

    Thanks Bhousden and Spimman! This makes sense. I forget that the Ori were not just meddling in the lives of humans--they could also build or more likely use them to build apparatuses that can channel more power to them. Did they mention what these fires were? I'm curious to understand how the surrender of free will is linked... I'm assuming the most devout followers were Priors, and that the surrender of free will has a lot to do with their change in appearance. Because if it is a surrender of free will, isn't it also funny to think that the Priors also surrendered their will again when the Ark spread the belief that the Ori are not gods (since the Ark is from what I remember a brainwash machine)?

  6. #6
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    520

    Default Re: Question About Ori Powers

    Quote Originally Posted by xkawaiix View Post
    Thanks Bhousden and Spimman! This makes sense. I forget that the Ori were not just meddling in the lives of humans--they could also build or more likely use them to build apparatuses that can channel more power to them. Did they mention what these fires were? I'm curious to understand how the surrender of free will is linked... I'm assuming the most devout followers were Priors, and that the surrender of free will has a lot to do with their change in appearance. Because if it is a surrender of free will, isn't it also funny to think that the Priors also surrendered their will again when the Ark spread the belief that the Ori are not gods (since the Ark is from what I remember a brainwash machine)?
    The fires of Celestis were, for all intents and purposes the multitudes of ascended Ori. Just like the Ancients appeared as bright, white balls of energy, likewise with the Ori. Only difference is white being of pure nature, and the believe in the choice of free will, etc. vs. evil, power mongering beings wanting more power. It truly was the "ultimate" good vs. evil storyline, very indicative of basically God vs. Satan. Sorry if my religious comments offends anybody, but that's just my $.02.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. The Powers That Be (905)
    By GateWorld in forum Season Nine
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: October 18th, 2015, 10:56 PM
  2. Powers for Skye or no powers? (spoiler alert)
    By EAW in forum Marvel Universe (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 19th, 2015, 12:58 PM
  3. Alpha Powers: new and used
    By Gollumpus in forum Alphas
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
  4. Just what are the I.O.A's powers?
    By Jack_Bauer in forum SGU General Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: December 29th, 2009, 04:47 AM
  5. Question about Prior powers. # spoilers#
    By cbrseadude in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •