Ha I Love It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha I Love It

there is a group out here just for this show, that is awesome, I cant tell you how many times I have re-watched this through the years. Atlantis seems to never get old to me, SG-1 was great, SGU started out ok but I was really getting attached to it until it dropped out of the blue.

I was just sitting here thinking how much I missed these shows, second to SG shows I miss the "good" star trek shows, seems nobody like space travel shows anymore.

I heard they are trying to reboot the movie and make a trilogy on a new plot, I have mixed feelings about this, ill love to see chevrons on a gate again, but my gut tells me its not going to come close to the long runs of enjoyment I got from binge watching these shows once a year or so.

Actors get old and move on, but id really love to see at least SGU pick pack up and would love to see more Atlantis but no way to bring it back, Id like to see one come back with earth based travel alongside the SGU crew stranded on the seed ship.

Sadly I know it wont happen

The movie reboot was cancelled
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

You aren't alone in your feelings of hope...yet understanding of the unlikelihood of it happening. At least any time soon.

Comment

There's no reboot because Stargate was and still is in a weird position.

Things like the Guardians of the Galaxy make it clear that you can take obscure stuff and make it popular. But stargate is in a strange limbo.

The original movie was quite successful for it's budget, but never continued. The TV universe is a soft reboot/reimagination of the movie. However, the people that created the series have all moved on. The TV movies were somewhat successful.

So the serious problem that Stargate is in, is that there isn't really anyone capable of making a proper reboot. Devlin/Emmerich tried, but Independence day showed their relevance is over. The Showrunners are gone. Who's out there to pick up this series? How much would it have to change? Stargate was partially a parody on Sci Fi tropes, yet parodies enough to pick from. Hell, most popular stuff is parodied days after it happens nowadays.

What is the niche Stargate can fill? SGU was an attempt to iterate the series but it failed for a number of reasons. Do we need a 4th iteration(made less likely by SGU)? do we need a return to it's roots(made less likely by ID2)? Trying to capture the original chemistry is notoriously hard, and few reboots ever manage to do that. BSG is noted for just completely changing the original series. Other popular franchises like Transformers did the same.

This is why there's no reboot in the works. We'd need someone to come along and both pick a direction and form to move forward. As long as there's no JJ Abrahams or Michael Bay equivalent, someone who enjoyed the series and makes it a project to see it revived, we're not gonna see more stargate. And even if we do, it's almost certainly not gonna be what we watched.

Comment

Something else to note is that all their games failed too. Their title release. Their MMO. Even the IOS game seems to have stopped being made.

If we get another one, what's wrong with it filling the old niche? What show is there today that fills the whole 'explore unknown planets, meet new friends and enemies' niche?

As long as the new one focuses on being good and not just gritty, it doesn't matter if it is different. As long as it takes place in the same universe and brings in some good characters and story, that fans will be happy. Since that is what made so many people like the original to begin with.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Wasn't the original movie released not long after independence day came out? I'm sure it would have done better had it have come out a bit after the hype of independence day or even before!

Comment

Stargate came out 2 years before Independence Day
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
              X