No announcement yet.

THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Fox was getting ready to pull a Firefly and MacFarlane saw the writing on the wall and just managed to avoid cancelation....
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

I mean...since Disney now owns Fox and Hulu I'm not that surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some other shifting titles.

However the year-long break IS a bit odd. Maybe they are planning on bigger and better things compared to season 2?
      sigpic

Comment

Maybe on Hulu it has a better chance of making a few more bingeworthy seasons
        sigpic

Comment

You find the oddest tidbits in the dark corners of the web.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...ually-responds

We have dropped hints. In fact, Penny has a line in Season 1 where she refers to Obi Wan. You know, I think the history of Earth is the history of Earth. I think Star Wars exists in The Orville universe. Yeah, why the **** not? That’s as far as we’ve gotten.

Basically, Star Wars exists within The Orville because it's a part of Earth's history. Claire referenced Obi Wan because he's a familiar and beloved figure in the realm of Earth's pop culture, even apparently as far into the future as the 2400's. Though he didn't directly address Star Trek, Seth MacFarlane's comment seemed to imply that since those franchises' shows and films are a part of Earth's history, the franchises are a part of the universe, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            MacFarlane said something at the panel about the VFX post-production process being really long, but something about that rings false to me. I can't believe that post-production on a 13-episode TV series being produced by FOX takes a year to complete.
            Remember he also expressed that he has a heavy workload. So that coupled with the VFX is why the show wouldn't have been ready by midseason 2020. So even if the VFX wasn't an issue, his workload likely is the biggest X factor there, in terms of pushing back the show's schedule.

I'm actually sad to hear the news of the move to Hulu, cause I don't have it and I likely won't. My wife and I are actually trimming down on the number of services we have (Netflix and Amazon Prime, we're keeping Prime). I don't see us starting a new service at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
              Remember he also expressed that he has a heavy workload. So that coupled with the VFX is why the show wouldn't have been ready by midseason 2020. So even if the VFX wasn't an issue, his workload likely is the biggest X factor there, in terms of pushing back the show's schedule.

I'm actually sad to hear the news of the move to Hulu, cause I don't have it and I likely won't. My wife and I are actually trimming down on the number of services we have (Netflix and Amazon Prime, we're keeping Prime). I don't see us starting a new service at all.
              I don't even know how the change is going to impact the rest of us yet. Hulu only operates in the US, so hopefully for the rest of us it'll be broadcast on TV somewhere.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post

I'm not pleased with the move to Hulu either. I'm not going to subscribe to 17 different streaming services because each one has a show I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                  I'm not pleased with the move to Hulu either. I'm not going to subscribe to 17 different streaming services because each one has a show I like.
                  A solution, if you don't mind having to dodge spoilers for a long period of time, is to subscribe for one month at a time after the entire season of more than one show that you like "airs" on a given streaming site. I'm not sure how the logistics with free time and everything would work...but it's an idea.

This is a trend where each company wants to have its own streaming service. I'm not sure how that would impact the shows being made. The streaming market is getting saturated right now. It's been relying on growth and stocks instead of just being content with a steady stream of profit and relevant innovation. Disney pulling out all its stuff from Netflix et al is what started to get me worried about this.

As I see it, what will happen is that budgets for new shows will start to shrink as more and more shows are divided by desperate streaming services forcing people to pick and choose. That means things like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones won't happen as often. Those shows were huge investments with the goal of attracting new subscribers to Netflix and HBO. But when there are no more new subscribers and the competition's new show takes your subscribers, then you'd have to find a way to get them back. Problem is, you won't until their show is over. What I suggested above is a bit of what people will end up doing, which means that each service will want to crank out increasingly more shows to keep you with them...which means eventually they'll start to run dry and have to create lesser quality shows.

That's just one possibility that I see. On the flip side, I can see cable companies making a comeback by offering bundle subscription services where you pay them one fee for access to multiple streaming services and those services get paid a share of your subscription fee based on viewing patterns. The cost of making TV shows could also go down due to the higher number of shows which would make subscriptions cheaper (although that currently isn't the case right now).
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.

Comment

If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.
                      I wonder how long that will continue, DVD's and such. A lot of new cars are coming out without CD players. A lot of laptop models also lack a CD/DVD player. I can see digital ownership though, kinda like steam. You could buy "DVD" digital sets after a certain time.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                        I wonder how long that will continue, DVD's and such. A lot of new cars are coming out without CD players. A lot of laptop models also lack a CD/DVD player. I can see digital ownership though, kinda like steam. You could buy "DVD" digital sets after a certain time.
                        Like you can already do with the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores....
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That will be the day I stop buying new content. I don't mind paying for content I want. The whole back wall of my home theater room is media storage, BD/DVD/CD/VHS, whatever. If I buy something, it's MINE. I want a physical copy that cannot be revoked for any reason. That is why I buy hard copies of a lot of old shows, because I want access to them regardless of what someone else decides.

A good example is the old "Dukes of Hazzard" show. A few years ago, the show suddenly offended the politically correct whiners by having the confederate flag on the roof of the General Lee (Car in the show). These whiners proceeded to whine to the syndication networks that carried the show, and poof! It disappeared from TV schedules almost overnight. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the entire series on DVD before it sold out. It now sits on my shelf, and no one can take it away for any reason.

If you buy "digital media", and the provider changes their mind, or even goes out of business, you lose. You no longer have that which you purchased. That is unacceptable to me.
                          Last edited by Annoyed; 30 July 2019, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Hard to argue with that. I suppose the solution would be to make purchases DRM-free, so you can download and store and play on whatever platform you like, whatever you wish. Vanishingly few providers do DRM-free, though. I know GOG does it for video games, but I'm struggling to come up with even one TV/movie service that does this.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Like you can already do with the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores....
                              Do they include the features, commentaries and other such bonuses? I've never used either for TV shows. I know Vudu gives you access to those for some films, but I haven't looked into the TV shows.

That will be the day I stop buying new content. I don't mind paying for content I want. The whole back wall of my home theater room is media storage, BD/DVD/CD/VHS, whatever. If I buy something, it's MINE. I want a physical copy that cannot be revoked for any reason. That is why I buy hard copies of a lot of old shows, because I want access to them regardless of what someone else decides.

A good example is the old "Dukes of Hazzard" show. A few years ago, the show suddenly offended the politically correct whiners by having the confederate flag on the roof of the General Lee (Car in the show). These whiners proceeded to whine to the syndication networks that carried the show, and poof! It disappeared from TV schedules almost overnight. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the entire series on DVD before it sold out. It now sits on my shelf, and no one can take it away for any reason.

If you buy "digital media", and the provider changes their mind, or even goes out of business, you lose. You no longer have that which you purchased. That is unacceptable to me.
                              That's the major pitfall. They should allow archiving on your own servers/drives. That way you do have a physical copy. It'd be no different than having a physical DVD. Maybe DVD's or something similar could serve that purpose. You save it on your memory device which can transmit to a monitor or computer but not copy to it? That would work the same as DVD's, but might as well then keep DVD's around. I don't know.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Do they include the features, commentaries and other such bonuses? I've never used either for TV shows. I know Vudu gives you access to those for some films, but I haven't looked into the TV shows.
                                More often than not, no, these things are not included.

On balance though, it's not uncommon for these things to be absent from physical media releases too. Someone, somewhere along the line, decided that people weren't interested in these (I disagree), and they started to disappear.

Comment

Working...
                                X