Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

So, they get another SEASON? (for Jel) cause the links here do not work for me

Yes, they do. Very good news.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Yes Pooks. And fix that netbook.

I don't have a netbook anymore, got a new pooter and win 10 so meh,
    It is indeed great news

First Lieutenant

Very excited for Season 3!

Yeah, really good news. I hope they find a good balance in between S1 and S2 for S3!
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Very puzzled by this... At their panel at SDCC, they just announced that (even though FOX renewed the show for Season 3 back in May), they will be moving Season 3 exclusively (in the US) to Hulu and it won't be back till late next year.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...lu-1203274526/
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Anything to do with the release of Picard, next year?

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Doubtful. Produced by different companies
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

MacFarlane said something at the panel about the VFX post-production process being really long, but something about that rings false to me. I can't believe that post-production on a 13-episode TV series being produced by FOX takes a year to complete.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I think Fox was getting ready to pull a Firefly and MacFarlane saw the writing on the wall and just managed to avoid cancelation....

I mean...since Disney now owns Fox and Hulu I'm not that surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some other shifting titles.

However the year-long break IS a bit odd. Maybe they are planning on bigger and better things compared to season 2?

Maybe on Hulu it has a better chance of making a few more bingeworthy seasons
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

You find the oddest tidbits in the dark corners of the web.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...ually-responds

We have dropped hints. In fact, Penny has a line in Season 1 where she refers to Obi Wan. You know, I think the history of Earth is the history of Earth. I think Star Wars exists in The Orville universe. Yeah, why the **** not? That’s as far as we’ve gotten.

Basically, Star Wars exists within The Orville because it's a part of Earth's history. Claire referenced Obi Wan because he's a familiar and beloved figure in the realm of Earth's pop culture, even apparently as far into the future as the 2400's. Though he didn't directly address Star Trek, Seth MacFarlane's comment seemed to imply that since those franchises' shows and films are a part of Earth's history, the franchises are a part of the universe, too.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    MacFarlane said something at the panel about the VFX post-production process being really long, but something about that rings false to me. I can't believe that post-production on a 13-episode TV series being produced by FOX takes a year to complete.
    Remember he also expressed that he has a heavy workload. So that coupled with the VFX is why the show wouldn't have been ready by midseason 2020. So even if the VFX wasn't an issue, his workload likely is the biggest X factor there, in terms of pushing back the show's schedule.

I'm actually sad to hear the news of the move to Hulu, cause I don't have it and I likely won't. My wife and I are actually trimming down on the number of services we have (Netflix and Amazon Prime, we're keeping Prime). I don't see us starting a new service at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrja84 View Post
    Remember he also expressed that he has a heavy workload. So that coupled with the VFX is why the show wouldn't have been ready by midseason 2020. So even if the VFX wasn't an issue, his workload likely is the biggest X factor there, in terms of pushing back the show's schedule.

I'm actually sad to hear the news of the move to Hulu, cause I don't have it and I likely won't. My wife and I are actually trimming down on the number of services we have (Netflix and Amazon Prime, we're keeping Prime). I don't see us starting a new service at all.
    I don't even know how the change is going to impact the rest of us yet. Hulu only operates in the US, so hopefully for the rest of us it'll be broadcast on TV somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrja84 View Post

I'm not pleased with the move to Hulu either. I'm not going to subscribe to 17 different streaming services because each one has a show I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I'm not pleased with the move to Hulu either. I'm not going to subscribe to 17 different streaming services because each one has a show I like.
    A solution, if you don't mind having to dodge spoilers for a long period of time, is to subscribe for one month at a time after the entire season of more than one show that you like "airs" on a given streaming site. I'm not sure how the logistics with free time and everything would work...but it's an idea.

This is a trend where each company wants to have its own streaming service. I'm not sure how that would impact the shows being made. The streaming market is getting saturated right now. It's been relying on growth and stocks instead of just being content with a steady stream of profit and relevant innovation. Disney pulling out all its stuff from Netflix et al is what started to get me worried about this.

As I see it, what will happen is that budgets for new shows will start to shrink as more and more shows are divided by desperate streaming services forcing people to pick and choose. That means things like Stranger Things and Game of Thrones won't happen as often. Those shows were huge investments with the goal of attracting new subscribers to Netflix and HBO. But when there are no more new subscribers and the competition's new show takes your subscribers, then you'd have to find a way to get them back. Problem is, you won't until their show is over. What I suggested above is a bit of what people will end up doing, which means that each service will want to crank out increasingly more shows to keep you with them...which means eventually they'll start to run dry and have to create lesser quality shows.

That's just one possibility that I see. On the flip side, I can see cable companies making a comeback by offering bundle subscription services where you pay them one fee for access to multiple streaming services and those services get paid a share of your subscription fee based on viewing patterns. The cost of making TV shows could also go down due to the higher number of shows which would make subscriptions cheaper (although that currently isn't the case right now).

If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.
    I wonder how long that will continue, DVD's and such. A lot of new cars are coming out without CD players. A lot of laptop models also lack a CD/DVD player. I can see digital ownership though, kinda like steam. You could buy "DVD" digital sets after a certain time.