No announcement yet.

THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The statue and glass picture for windows was the most weird part of it.
    The little girl saw Kelly the longest but was that so much time that she remembers the face and uniform.
    Older people didnt see her more then 10 seconds.

We cant even remember our own mother or father face if we dont see them over a year or so.
    So much unexplained things about this episode, but well tbh i dont care it's still a scifi tvshow to enjoy and not think much of the problems with reality it has.
    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
      The little girl saw Kelly the longest but was that so much time that she remembers the face and uniform.

We cant even remember our own mother or father face if we dont see them over a year or so.
      So much unexplained things about this episode, but well tbh i dont care it's still a scifi tvshow to enjoy and not think much of the problems with reality it has.
      They're an alien race. They could have photographic, or even some form of genetic memory for all we know.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I very clearly remember the faces of my parents and they passed away 20 years ago. I think people remember more than they are given credit for.

Comment

So season final is based on star trek voyager one episode where the planet spin fast and there for time was slower on the surface. I dont remember the episode name.
          don't forget about the DS9 episode, they had something similar, only there was no time change, the planet just phased in and out of existence.

all in all, I think they are doing a fine job, if things keep going at this rate, then I think I can change my rating to a solid 7, I just finished the last three eps and it looks like they may be hitting their stride, so for NOW, I am keeping it a shaky 6 1/2 but I am willing to bet it goes to a solid 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Yes, this show is more Star Trek than Trek itself is these days. And it constantly borrows from Trek; that's part of its appeal.

But the 12th episode was poorly stolen trek. There were far too many things that just didn't make sense, logical holes if you will. Yes, suspension of disbelief is required for sci-fi, but if you ask me, this want way over the line on this. For example, the planet phases between our dimension and its native dimension. Ok, find. But our galaxy & presumably universe is constantly rotating. If you could pick a fixed spot as a stationary "here" point, the stars, planets and such will move.
            So, planet goes back home. 700 years, was it? pass before it returns. It will have moved in physical space during that time, so would Orville have as our universe turns. Yet all they had to do is wait for it, and it showed up in front of them.
            There was just too much of that kind of logical hole.
            That particular "logical hole" as you call it, is present in every sci-fi story about time travel I've seen. (Cause again, at a different time, the planets, the stars were in a different place. So time travelling from say the top of a pyramid wouldn't put you on top of that pyramid at another point of time.) It's also similar to typical problems with phase-shifting and passing through walls - yet not floors.

The problems with the night sky shift for 11 days in every 7 hundred years or the uncanny resmblance of "Kelly symbols" to Kelly are in my opinion far more interesting. Yet, as shown in this thread, these can also be explained by a specific memory of the locals and by being far more prone to remembering events during those "weird 11 days" every 700 years.

EDIT: Allow one little ironic note on my mentioned time travel: It is most funny when such a time traveller notes how different stars are, which he explains by the time travel, yet doesn't acknowledge the fact he weirdly showed up on the same spot on the same planet he left while time travelling.

Comment

It stuck out because Orville's command crew stated that "all they had to do was wait where they were".

Comment

OMG! That was amazing!
                These possibilities demonstrated in this episode were amazing.
                It's just a matter of time till this race is a huge ally.
                And Kelly's character is really growing on me. I really like her.
                Can't wait for the next season.

Comment

Based on the previews before the show started, I didn't think I was going to live the show. However, I grew to love it over the course of the first season. Only thing I don't like is that the first season is already over.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think that is on MacFarlane. He only wanted the show to be 13 episodes a season
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The only thing MacFarlane has done previously that I liked was the original Ted, but this is great, more Trek than Trek, can't wait till next season (iirc season 1 will be shown on Fox in the UK next year).

Comment

I enjoyed the season finale, although I thought episode 11 and 12 should have been swapped as 11 made a better finale IMO. Overall a strong S1 and I hope they continue on the path they set.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I think that is on MacFarlane. He only wanted the show to be 13 episodes a season
                          Yeah...You get all 13 episodes at once...no breaks until the end of the season. Even though the seasons will be short...that won't deter me from coming back! :-D
                          sigpic

Comment

As a person who lacks a sense of humor, Orville was surprisingly enjoyable and even funny at points. And it addresses things that used to always irk me about Star Trek.

I love how they state certain moral questions without doing the Star Trek "let's go in there and enlighten them to the proper human way". They do present interesting arguments that are fair to the situation. Things like Bortus's kid.

Kelly's explanation of fame and renown being the new currency in a money-less universe was way better than Picard's 'we're motivated to just advance the human race' thing.

And I like how Ep 12 was like a direct jab at Star Trek Next Gen and that one ep where they had this primitive society worship Data or Picard and they all lose their minds about how they think they polluted a civilization and Orville comes along and points out how ridiculous that is.

sigpic
                            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I've seen the first three episodes and really enjoyed them. Fourth up tonight. It's the only show that I currently watch on broadcast television, rather than through a streaming service.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                                I've seen the first three episodes and really enjoyed them. Fourth up tonight. It's the only show that I currently watch on broadcast television, rather than through a streaming service.
                                I think you'll be pleased w/ what's ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X