THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

That's the major pitfall. They should allow archiving on your own servers/drives. That way you do have a physical copy. It'd be no different than having a physical DVD. Maybe DVD's or something similar could serve that purpose. You save it on your memory device which can transmit to a monitor or computer but not copy to it? That would work the same as DVD's, but might as well then keep DVD's around. I don't know.
    It's not the storage media, it's the presumption of ownership. If you have the optical media, they've assumed that you've purchased it and have the right to play it. But for any other type of storage, they will assume that you do not own it. Anything they allow to be stored locally will be set up to phone home to check playback rights. If the issuing company has gone out of business, that server doesn't answer, and you can't play what you have purchased.

Sorry, because of issues like this, the only format I will consider is something that sits on my shelf and operates independently of any thing else.
    As I've said, I don't mind paying for content I want, but the content creators can't be trusted. Given the chance, they would be happy to charge you for the same piece numerous times.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      It's not the storage media, it's the presumption of ownership. If you have the optical media, they've assumed that you've purchased it and have the right to play it. But for any other type of storage, they will assume that you do not own it. Anything they allow to be stored locally will be set up to phone home to check playback rights. If the issuing company has gone out of business, that server doesn't answer, and you can't play what you have purchased.

Sorry, because of issues like this, the only format I will consider is something that sits on my shelf and operates independently of any thing else.
      As I've said, I don't mind paying for content I want, but the content creators can't be trusted. Given the chance, they would be happy to charge you for the same piece numerous times.
      Oh, I mean that you'd have a specific device, like a flash drive designed to be your DVD substitute. You can write things into it (Like your downloaded season set of whatever show) and it can't be copied to another device. Then you just use that drive to play it to a computer, phone, or TV via the wi fi or directly into the computer via a USB connection. In essence, instead of having a dozen DVD's, you'd have one flashdrive type thing.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        Oh, I mean that you'd have a specific device, like a flash drive designed to be your DVD substitute. You can write things into it (Like your downloaded season set of whatever show) and it can't be copied to another device. Then you just use that drive to play it to a computer, phone, or TV via the wi fi or directly into the computer via a USB connection. In essence, instead of having a dozen DVD's, you'd have one flashdrive type thing.
        And do you really think the content creation industries will go along with that? Don't be silly. They wouldn't be satisfied with that. Not only would they want you to buy a copy for each device, but they would like want to lock your flash drive's ID to one specific device.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
          If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.
          Great idea, I'll just wait until the full series is released with bonus content on whatever is the best storage media at the time.
          It does open up the possibility of owning something versus renting it, which I like.

But some shows like Supernatural? That's 15 seasons! I'm definitely going to wait until the entire series is released in one batch. But that's going to cost a lot of money.

I can't do that for all my shows, nor would I want to rewatch each of them the same amount as others.

Comment

Since I had been absent from this site, I was wondering if an Orville forum was up here, and I'm glad it is. I'm actually a fan of the show.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoK View Post
              Since I had been absent from this site, I was wondering if an Orville forum was up here, and I'm glad it is. I'm actually a fan of the show.
              So was I. Till they decided to move it to Hulu. I will not pay 42 streaming services.

Comment

True. I'm just going to try to find the new season (when it comes out), online, other than through Hulu. Either that, or end up paying to see it. We'll see.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RoK View Post
                  True. I'm just going to try to find the new season (when it comes out), online, other than through Hulu. Either that, or end up paying to see it. We'll see.
                  I won't pay for a service for one show. Not for ST: Discovery, and not for Orville. When I cut the cord, I looked at both Sling & Hulu's services, and chose Sling because it suits my needs better.

The only voice we consumers have is our purchasing choices. If everyone subscribes to CBS for Star Trek, Hulu for Orville and so on, it won't be long before we are subscribing to 42 different services, one for each show we want to watch. That would be rather expensive. To quote an old movie "The only winning move is not to play"

Comment

True. I'm not sure what other shows (regular or originals, such as the Orville) Hulu offers, so for the moment, I won't be paying for the service. Just like I'm not going to pay CBS just for ST: Discovery and Picard (when it releases). Not worth the money just for one show.
                    sigpic

Comment

I will wait for it to appear on amazon and pay for it, I don't mind this, it is the only one i will pay for
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't mind paying for content, but the business model of paying every content provider such as CBS doesn't work for me.

I subscribe to several content aggregators, such Netflix, Amazon, Sling. These services provide content from numerous sources.

If shows like Orville or the Treks want me to watch, they can ink a deal with these services.

I don't think Discovery went to Amazon, or anything else, did it? AFAIK, you can buy optical media for Disc/S1, though. The folks at CBS misjudged me. They thought that because I'm a Trek fan, I would be stupid enough to pay for their streaming service for that show. Sorry, guess again.

Comment

Not sure, dont think it did
                          sigpic

Comment

Season 3 of Seth MacFarlane’s ‘The Orville’ To Be Its Last

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/01...o-be-its-last/
                            sigpic

Comment

In that case,I guess I'll miss S3. I'll probably get it on home media when the box set is released in a few years. But I won't subscribe to Hulu or any other service for one show.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                Season 3 of Seth MacFarlane’s ‘The Orville’ To Be Its Last

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/01...o-be-its-last/
                                It is fake news. Egotastic Fun Time explains in his video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpCOa9KMRY .

Comment

Working...
                                X