Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Default Re: THE ORVILLE: News/Trailers/Discussion/SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    I wonder how long that will continue, DVD's and such. A lot of new cars are coming out without CD players. A lot of laptop models also lack a CD/DVD player. I can see digital ownership though, kinda like steam. You could buy "DVD" digital sets after a certain time.
    Like you can already do with the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores....
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I wonder how long that will continue, DVD's and such. A lot of new cars are coming out without CD players. A lot of laptop models also lack a CD/DVD player. I can see digital ownership though, kinda like steam. You could buy "DVD" digital sets after a certain time.
    That will be the day I stop buying new content. I don't mind paying for content I want. The whole back wall of my home theater room is media storage, BD/DVD/CD/VHS, whatever. If I buy something, it's MINE. I want a physical copy that cannot be revoked for any reason. That is why I buy hard copies of a lot of old shows, because I want access to them regardless of what someone else decides.

A good example is the old "Dukes of Hazzard" show. A few years ago, the show suddenly offended the politically correct whiners by having the confederate flag on the roof of the General Lee (Car in the show). These whiners proceeded to whine to the syndication networks that carried the show, and poof! It disappeared from TV schedules almost overnight. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the entire series on DVD before it sold out. It now sits on my shelf, and no one can take it away for any reason.

If you buy "digital media", and the provider changes their mind, or even goes out of business, you lose. You no longer have that which you purchased. That is unacceptable to me.
    Last edited by Annoyed; July 30th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Hard to argue with that. I suppose the solution would be to make purchases DRM-free, so you can download and store and play on whatever platform you like, whatever you wish. Vanishingly few providers do DRM-free, though. I know GOG does it for video games, but I'm struggling to come up with even one TV/movie service that does this.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Like you can already do with the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores....
    Do they include the features, commentaries and other such bonuses? I've never used either for TV shows. I know Vudu gives you access to those for some films, but I haven't looked into the TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    That will be the day I stop buying new content. I don't mind paying for content I want. The whole back wall of my home theater room is media storage, BD/DVD/CD/VHS, whatever. If I buy something, it's MINE. I want a physical copy that cannot be revoked for any reason. That is why I buy hard copies of a lot of old shows, because I want access to them regardless of what someone else decides.

A good example is the old "Dukes of Hazzard" show. A few years ago, the show suddenly offended the politically correct whiners by having the confederate flag on the roof of the General Lee (Car in the show). These whiners proceeded to whine to the syndication networks that carried the show, and poof! It disappeared from TV schedules almost overnight. Fortunately, I was able to purchase the entire series on DVD before it sold out. It now sits on my shelf, and no one can take it away for any reason.

If you buy "digital media", and the provider changes their mind, or even goes out of business, you lose. You no longer have that which you purchased. That is unacceptable to me.
    That's the major pitfall. They should allow archiving on your own servers/drives. That way you do have a physical copy. It'd be no different than having a physical DVD. Maybe DVD's or something similar could serve that purpose. You save it on your memory device which can transmit to a monitor or computer but not copy to it? That would work the same as DVD's, but might as well then keep DVD's around. I don't know.

Do they include the features, commentaries and other such bonuses? I've never used either for TV shows. I know Vudu gives you access to those for some films, but I haven't looked into the TV shows.
    More often than not, no, these things are not included.

On balance though, it's not uncommon for these things to be absent from physical media releases too. Someone, somewhere along the line, decided that people weren't interested in these (I disagree), and they started to disappear.

That's the major pitfall. They should allow archiving on your own servers/drives. That way you do have a physical copy. It'd be no different than having a physical DVD. Maybe DVD's or something similar could serve that purpose. You save it on your memory device which can transmit to a monitor or computer but not copy to it? That would work the same as DVD's, but might as well then keep DVD's around. I don't know.
    It's not the storage media, it's the presumption of ownership. If you have the optical media, they've assumed that you've purchased it and have the right to play it. But for any other type of storage, they will assume that you do not own it. Anything they allow to be stored locally will be set up to phone home to check playback rights. If the issuing company has gone out of business, that server doesn't answer, and you can't play what you have purchased.

Sorry, because of issues like this, the only format I will consider is something that sits on my shelf and operates independently of any thing else.
    As I've said, I don't mind paying for content I want, but the content creators can't be trusted. Given the chance, they would be happy to charge you for the same piece numerous times.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

It's not the storage media, it's the presumption of ownership. If you have the optical media, they've assumed that you've purchased it and have the right to play it. But for any other type of storage, they will assume that you do not own it. Anything they allow to be stored locally will be set up to phone home to check playback rights. If the issuing company has gone out of business, that server doesn't answer, and you can't play what you have purchased.

Sorry, because of issues like this, the only format I will consider is something that sits on my shelf and operates independently of any thing else.
    As I've said, I don't mind paying for content I want, but the content creators can't be trusted. Given the chance, they would be happy to charge you for the same piece numerous times.
    Oh, I mean that you'd have a specific device, like a flash drive designed to be your DVD substitute. You can write things into it (Like your downloaded season set of whatever show) and it can't be copied to another device. Then you just use that drive to play it to a computer, phone, or TV via the wi fi or directly into the computer via a USB connection. In essence, instead of having a dozen DVD's, you'd have one flashdrive type thing.

Oh, I mean that you'd have a specific device, like a flash drive designed to be your DVD substitute. You can write things into it (Like your downloaded season set of whatever show) and it can't be copied to another device. Then you just use that drive to play it to a computer, phone, or TV via the wi fi or directly into the computer via a USB connection. In essence, instead of having a dozen DVD's, you'd have one flashdrive type thing.
    And do you really think the content creation industries will go along with that? Don't be silly. They wouldn't be satisfied with that. Not only would they want you to buy a copy for each device, but they would like want to lock your flash drive's ID to one specific device.

First Lieutenant

If you're gonna wait, you might as well wait for the season to be released on optical media. ST: Discovery is one such example.
    Great idea, I'll just wait until the full series is released with bonus content on whatever is the best storage media at the time.
    It does open up the possibility of owning something versus renting it, which I like.

But some shows like Supernatural? That's 15 seasons! I'm definitely going to wait until the entire series is released in one batch. But that's going to cost a lot of money.

I can't do that for all my shows, nor would I want to rewatch each of them the same amount as others.

Since I had been absent from this site, I was wondering if an Orville forum was up here, and I'm glad it is. I'm actually a fan of the show.
    <a href=http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/rayc5678/GateworldBleachSignature2.jpg target=_blank>http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...Signature2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RoK View Post
    Since I had been absent from this site, I was wondering if an Orville forum was up here, and I'm glad it is. I'm actually a fan of the show.
    So was I. Till they decided to move it to Hulu. I will not pay 42 streaming services.

True. I'm just going to try to find the new season (when it comes out), online, other than through Hulu. Either that, or end up paying to see it. We'll see.
    <a href=http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/rayc5678/GateworldBleachSignature2.jpg target=_blank>http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/z...Signature2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by RoK View Post
    True. I'm just going to try to find the new season (when it comes out), online, other than through Hulu. Either that, or end up paying to see it. We'll see.
    I won't pay for a service for one show. Not for ST: Discovery, and not for Orville. When I cut the cord, I looked at both Sling & Hulu's services, and chose Sling because it suits my needs better.

The only voice we consumers have is our purchasing choices. If everyone subscribes to CBS for Star Trek, Hulu for Orville and so on, it won't be long before we are subscribing to 42 different services, one for each show we want to watch. That would be rather expensive. To quote an old movie "The only winning move is not to play"

True. I'm not sure what other shows (regular or originals, such as the Orville) Hulu offers, so for the moment, I won't be paying for the service. Just like I'm not going to pay CBS just for ST: Discovery and Picard (when it releases). Not worth the money just for one show.

I will wait for it to appear on amazon and pay for it, I don't mind this, it is the only one i will pay for

I don't mind paying for content, but the business model of paying every content provider such as CBS doesn't work for me.

I subscribe to several content aggregators, such Netflix, Amazon, Sling. These services provide content from numerous sources.

If shows like Orville or the Treks want me to watch, they can ink a deal with these services.

I don't think Discovery went to Amazon, or anything else, did it? AFAIK, you can buy optical media for Disc/S1, though. The folks at CBS misjudged me. They thought that because I'm a Trek fan, I would be stupid enough to pay for their streaming service for that show. Sorry, guess again.

Not sure, dont think it did