Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death star in reality

Hi,

I was wondering about the Death Star in movies 4-5-6.

Even though it is hollowed out, there is a great mass of material still concentrated there.

Our Moon has 1/6th G. How much gravity would the Deathstar generate due to its own mass?

Doug vV

The moon is 3474 km in diameter, and even as a solid sphere, still only generates a 0.16g environment. By way of comparison, the Death Star is significantly hollow (allowing for habitable spaces, docking bays, maintenance access, power core access, etc etc), and is just 160km in width.

So to answer your question? Probably either none, or so little as to be effectively negligible.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You may find this video interesting:

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Hi,

That video was what I was postulating basically. My error was not realizing the Death Star was only able 100 Miles across, I was under the false assumption that it was 800-1000 miles across.

Thanks for the help.

Doug vV

Comment

I would think that with out Art Grav it would be kind of hard to aim the cannon at stuff the way the DS is constructed. Be a pain to have to wait for it to spin back around to its target.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X