This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate universes

I just got finished watching the stargate episode with Daniel and the quantum mirror, and I was thinking how great would it be to have had a series use the quantum mirror to go from universe to universe to help defeat the goulds, or the ori, or even the replicators, tell them how to defeat the wraith, and even get the destiny to stop jumping and get them to go back home or help deliver supplies to help them get to , where ever they were going.

would you watch something like that, I know I would.

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
    I just got finished watching the stargate episode with Daniel and the quantum mirror, and I was thinking how great would it be to have had a series use the quantum mirror to go from universe to universe to help defeat the goulds, or the ori, or even the replicators, tell them how to defeat the wraith, and even get the destiny to stop jumping and get them to go back home or help deliver supplies to help them get to , where ever they were going.

That sounds stupid. It would be impossible to do that given the fact that there are infinite number of alternate realities possible to "visit." Based on this fact you'd couldn't know what these other realities would "offer" in terms of what to expect in them.

Comment

This is an interesting thought. I definitely wished they would explore the quantum mirror more (although there were quite a few episodes with this). I think there may be a moral dilemma with this approach. For instance, you cannot be sure that the humans in the other universes are not "the bad guys". For instance, they may be enslaving and harvesting the Goa'uld for some medical purpose. It would have been interesting to have a few episodes like this and explore some of the nuances.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
        That sounds stupid. It would be impossible to do that given the fact that there are infinite number of alternate realities possible to "visit." Based on this fact you'd couldn't know what these other realities would "offer" in terms of what to expect in them.
        Plus who's to say one reality we visit, wouldn't try to lock us up, torture us for info on how to Militarize the mirror..

Comment

I'd like to point out the two criticisms of the concept could just as easily apply to the stargate. There are, in theory, near infinite (or at least a hella lot) of planets to visit and you don't know what they could offer or expect from them and you don't know if the aliens wouldn't try to lock you up and torture you for info on how to use the stargate.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

you all bring up good points, and that is my point, they could ALL be story lines, and here is another one for you, here, general Hammond ordered the mirror be destroyed, BUT, who says it has to take place here, with the SGC, it could take place in another reality, with the SGBase, or the SGOrganization.

don't forget the alternate reality drive that an alternate McKay made, there could be a show based on that, to steal an idea, leaping from reality to reality hoping the next leap will be the leap home, ok, sliders already did something like this, but this takes the whole idea to the next level.

Comment

you all bring up good points, and that is my point, they could ALL be story lines, and here is another one for you, here, general Hammond ordered the mirror be destroyed, BUT, who says it has to take place here, with the SGC, it could take place in another reality, with the SGBase, or the SGOrganization.

don't forget the alternate reality drive that an alternate McKay made, there could be a show based on that, to steal an idea, leaping from reality to reality hoping the next leap will be the leap home, ok, sliders already did something like this, but this takes the whole idea to the next level.
              Now we're "leaping" like Quantum Leap? lol

Comment

Sorry for the negativity, I personally think the idea is absurd.

Comment

I feel any success or failure of this idea would have to stem from how it is implemented.
                  It is technically the same as the regular stargate. You use an alien device to travel to other worlds and explore, making enemies and friends along the way. The mirror is the stargate. The alternate dimensions are the alternate worlds. And when they build space ships, they'll use those reality drives instead of hyperdrives. Different on paper but the same in practice. Hell, I could rewrite the entire stargate arc using the quantum mirror. The usage of the stargate and the usage of the mirror is that similar.

That said, you could visit alternate earths to explore the ideas of what Earth could've been. But, you could still do the same with a story about going to another planet.

Like I said, it'll all be in the execution.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
                    Now we're "leaping" like Quantum Leap? lol
                    yup, they already did that in atlantis, though it was just for one episode, it is one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                      I feel any success or failure of this idea would have to stem from how it is implemented.
                      It is technically the same as the regular stargate. You use an alien device to travel to other worlds and explore, making enemies and friends along the way. The mirror is the stargate. The alternate dimensions are the alternate worlds. And when they build space ships, they'll use those reality drives instead of hyperdrives. Different on paper but the same in practice. Hell, I could rewrite the entire stargate arc using the quantum mirror. The usage of the stargate and the usage of the mirror is that similar.

That said, you could visit alternate earths to explore the ideas of what Earth could've been. But, you could still do the same with a story about going to another planet.

Like I said, it'll all be in the execution.
                      yes, it would, when I heard about SGU, I thought it was going to be something like that, but it wasn't, too bad SGU didn't start off better, I started to get in to it towards the end there, if only they had saved the deep personal stuff for later in the show.

you are right about the drives, but they could also have hyper drives on the ship to take them to other planets AS WELL AS to other realities, just to add an extra twist to things.

Comment

Wasn't the old show "Sliders" similar to that?

Comment

Exactly. Which is imo why a mirror verse jumping series imo wouldn't work..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Exactly. Which is imo why a mirror verse jumping series imo wouldn't work..
                            but it all ready did, that is how we know sliders, but in this case it would be bigger with a bigger budget, I mean, you gotta admit the budget for that show was pretty low, and it still went at least three good seasons.

Comment

You are not understanding me. CAUSE of slider's success, i don't think a similar storyline from SG using alternate realities cause of the mirror, would do that well..

Comment

Working...
                              X