SGA Comics vs Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
    Also the table top books do not reference the legacy novels as they came out years before
    God to know. I'm sorry I can't find you the actual quote, I left hte discord. Reasons why are stated bewlow the next quote.

As far as I understand it MGM approving what they like makes it canon. Not necessarily canon to what the original show creators intended but still canon as it is official licensed. Of course MGM makes no real statements on canon material and if they ever decide to do more shows they'll certainly do their own thing and ignore the comics and novels. Much as the TV shows ignored the intended ideas of the original movie creators. Talk of canonicity is dangerous territory
    The person on the stargate discord had a quote, but I don't have it to copy, nor do I know the exact source, sorry. The quote was how the novels were canon, but the comics were not. Tlaking about canonicity to them may not be physically dangerous, but they will treat you like a child until you leave or acquiesce to their personal view that canon is sacred (yes, literally), and that you cannot use the label 'canon' unless you use everything cnaon, including the books, movies, and any spin-off material they cna find a quote about bieng 'truly' canon. To them, there is no 'canon up to a certain point'. also, canon is not debateable (apparently there is only one answer to 'did Jet die' according to them.

By the way, thank you for the civlity of this discourse. Its' a huge contrast to the discord and this conversation is much more enjoyable. I hope it continues.

Also, i appologize for my typos.
    Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Canon is a touchy subject I guess. It would help if MGM tried to unify stuff but I didn't that will ever happen

And you are welcome and no worries on typos!
      Last edited by lightsyder; 01 October 2018, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Comics are fun but kind of have the same prob as the show in later seasons where they are just cramming to much stuff into the plots. ...and kind of tired of "Its all the Ancients Fault" scenario.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

Agreed, both SGA & SGU felt way to rushed. I'm hoping if they do more they adjust the pace a little. It kinda felt like they were just trying to wrap it all up and be done with it, especially with SGU

Comment

@Lightsyder

Canon is simple: that which was shown on TV within the universe created by Brad Wright and Co.

Stargate 1994 has its own canon, so does Origins. And so do the comics and the books.

Fanfics follow canon, or don't... or twist and turn canon but they are not TV-canon.

They're all in the same stargate universe, each with their own canon.

I will ignore the comics and books as canon. They are official fanfic to me.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              @Lightsyder

Canon is simple: that which was shown on TV within the universe created by Brad Wright and Co.

Stargate 1994 has its own canon, so does Origins. And so do the comics and the books.

Fanfics follow canon, or don't... or twist and turn canon but they are not TV-canon.

They're all in the same stargate universe, each with their own canon.

I will ignore the comics and books as canon. They are official fanfic to me.
              Oh, no, they aren't canon if they're fanfics. But even if you're following a little bit of canon, you're still following some.

Canon can easily be broken down. cut into bits, one peices separated from the rest (you have to be careful), etc.

It's just not one thing that's be-all-or-end-all. And it's debatable, too.

Canon is fun that way (but dangoerus to argue).
              Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Well, the movie creators probably look at the TV series as non-canon as well. They created Stargate, not Brad Wright and company. MGM gave them the option to make the TV show just like they did with the book and comic creators.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they did. Brad and his crew made Stargate my favorite sci-fi franchise of all time.

Canon is always a touchy subject though. At least discussions on it are civil of Gateworld!

Comment

Well, the movie creators probably look at the TV series as non-canon as well.
                  They absolutely do so, hence why I mention it as a separate canon-verse.

Comment

So that makes everything that came after fan-fiction, right?

Regardless, no need to argue about canon, we all love Stargate and that's all that matters!

Comment

Darren talked about here and in this GW thread :
                      https://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Stargate_Canon
                      https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...of-races/page2
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

So that makes everything that came after fan-fiction, right?
                        From my point of view, and in my opinion, yes.

Comment

Was very reluctant, but I renewed my SG:C subscription today to be able to read those. Only read the first SGA comic, but I must say it's pretty good so far. The Artwork is really good, characters are very life-like.

And that's coming from a guy that doesn't read comics.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                            Was very reluctant, but I renewed my SG:C subscription today to be able to read those. Only read the first SGA comic, but I must say it's pretty good so far. The Artwork is really good, characters are very life-like.

And that's coming from a guy that doesn't read comics.
                            Great, now I have to find you in my account-list and adjust your all-access to yes, instead of no.

You could also support American Mythology, you know, and buy a copy -- digital or hardcover.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Great, now I have to find you in my account-list and adjust your all-access to yes, instead of no.

You could also support American Mythology, you know, and buy a copy -- digital or hardcover.
                              Hmm.. what? You are involved in the production of these comics? Didn't know that, that's awesome. Give me links and I'll look if I'm interested.

Account name on SG:C is '' Chaka-Zo'' with an o, not a zero.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

FYI: They did not release all the comics, there's only the first 3 of SGA + SGU available. ''First wave'' my a**, should've known SG:C likes to hand-feed its customers
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X