SGA Comics vs Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA Comics vs Legacy

So I've been thinking about getting the SGA "Back To Pegasus" comics and/or the Fandemonium Legacy series and I understand that they both continue the series after season 5.

Do they contradict each other, tell the same story, or tell different stories that are in harmony? If they do contradict is one "more canon" than the other?
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
    So I've been thinking about getting the SGA "Back To Pegasus" comics and/or the Fandemonium Legacy series and I understand that they both continue the series after season 5.

Do they contradict each other, tell the same story, or tell different stories that are in harmony? If they do contradict is one "more canon" than the other?
    The comics and Legacy novels are two different continuities. Neither are canon. Canon is only onscreen content: TV episodes and movies. But -- since new onscreen content doesn't seem to be coming anytime in the foreseeable future -- feel free to make either the comic series or the novels your own "official" continuation of the show. One of the few benefits of a franchise you love no longer producing fresh content is being able to choose between conflicting tie-in stories, audio dramas, fanfic, or whatever gets a fan through the Wilderness Years.

Personal continuities (or, "head canon," if you prefer) are great things and fun thought-experiments.

Comment

Get them both. They are 2 different story lines, each enjoyable so far and each licensed and edited by MGM (but agreed with Lorne about canon status).

Comment

Aye, get them both. I've been getting all the Fandy novels since SG1 #2 and there's one or two stinkers but I've largely enjoyed them. I really enjoyed the Legacy series.

I'm not particularly a fan of tie-ins but I picked up and supported the new series on Kickstarter and I've actually been enjoying them.

I'd suggest picking them up both.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Has anyone read the latest comic, "Hearts and Minds" #1? I have to admit I'm not that thrilled with the direction the story is going in.

Spoiler:
          The thing with Chuck and Walter ... what the hell was that? That has literally never happened in the show before. I really don't like that and it took up so much time in the issue.

Spoiler:
          I'm getting annoyed with Janus now. What is going on? He was kind of an enigma in the show, so to now have him as an antagonist in control of the alternate reality aliens ("greyliens" as I like to call them) is so jarring to me.

I realise it's a limitation of the comic format but the story is moving too slowly for my liking. Characterisations and likenesses are done well enough, but I'm wanting more from the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
            That has literally never happened in the show before.
            That side story was confusing for me, because of
            Spoiler:
            the use of the name Wilson on page 8. Is that supposed to be Chuck's surname then? His entry on Wikia doesn't give a surname. http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck There also isn't an entry for any character named "Wilson."

I realise it's a limitation of the comic format but the story is moving too slowly for my liking. Characterisations and likenesses are done well enough, but I'm wanting more from the story.
            I still like the comics and story a lot, but the delays in their releases have been inconvenient. At least with Legacy, to those who are new to both the books and comics, the books are already published and all ready to go (unless new books are created).

Comment

I've only just realised I posted that in the completely wrong thread, my apologies!

I think Wilson is a reference to the film "Castaway" where the main character is marooned on an island by himself and finds a football and calls it Wilson to keep him company.

Comment

I've only just realised I posted that in the completely wrong thread, my apologies!

I think Wilson is a reference to the film "Castaway" where the main character is marooned on an island by himself and finds a football and calls it Wilson to keep him company.
                Thanks for explaining the Wilson reference.
                Spoiler:
                Maybe Janus is the cause of Chuck and Walter getting stranded? By the growth on their beards, it seems time is sped up there, similar to how John experienced in "Epiphany," suggesting Ancient tech.

Your comments seem to fit here too, in comparing and contrasting the books and comics, such as
                Spoiler:
                the use of a familiar supporting character in the comics as the main villain. The Legacy books used the tactic of making an OC as the main villain and thus avoided such controversies in characterization. Maybe the comics could have used an OC Ancient, such as whoever made the game in "The Game"-- those Ancients seemed to have seen the game followers as "resources" and would fit the personality and dialogue of what this version of Janus is saying and doing.
                (spoilers for both books and comics enclosed)
                Last edited by WraithTech; 21 May 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
                  Neither are canon. Canon is only onscreen content:
                  Wait, neither are canon?

Can I have a source on this?

(I'm not arguing, I've just ended up getting a lectured like I'm a little kid about how the books are TOTALLY UNQUESTIONABLY TRUE one another stargate forum, ao now I don't know what to think)
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

The books and comics are canon in that they are officially endorsed by MGM. they are not necessarily canon to the shows in the eyes of the show runners/writers/etc but they don't own the property, MGM does

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                      The books and comics are canon in that they are officially endorsed by MGM. they are not necessarily canon to the shows in the eyes of the show runners/writers/etc but they don't own the property, MGM does
                      Someone told me the books were canon, the comics were not. I don't have the quote they used, as I left the discord they were on as they were extremely preachy about it (and rather demeaning). I think it was from Stargate tabletop books or something.

Do you have a quote, because this flies in the face of what they said.
                      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

There isn't really anything to quote. MGM has authorized to canon sequels to SGA that do not exist in the sane "universe".

Comment

Also the table top books do not reference the legacy novels as they came out years before

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
                            They are not canon. MGM has a say in what happens to characters and how they are portrayed but nothing more. You can literally do whatever you like with them, so long as you don't cross any lines they would not like to see crossed.

For example, I'm fairly sure they would never allow a comic or tie-in, or whatever, novel where Jack and Daniel are a happy couple, enjoying life after SG-1.

MGM doesn't endorse these books or comics as canon, they simply sell an official license to a publisher like Fandemonium and/or American Mythology to do with as they please (withing the limits set by MGM of course).
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

As far as I understand it MGM approving what they like makes it canon. Not necessarily canon to what the original show creators intended but still canon as it is official licensed. Of course MGM makes no real statements on canon material and if they ever decide to do more shows they'll certainly do their own thing and ignore the comics and novels. Much as the TV shows ignored the intended ideas of the original movie creators. Talk of canonicity is dangerous territory

Comment

Working...
                              X