Best Atlantis Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Atlantis Commander

I was watching the first episode of season 5 and there's a line from Sheppard where he says something along the lines that he's never had a commanding officer he's respected more than Col Carter, ironically right before he follows up that he's going to get on the jumper to rescue Teyla even if he has to defy a direct order.

But it got me thinking about who was the best commander of Altantis, and I'll include Sheppard as one as well while he stepped in for Woosley during season 5.

For me there's no doubting that Carter is number one. She had a great mix of military and scientific experience, she followed military protocols but also allowed for flexibility as it was a mixture of military and civilian outpost. She made tough calls when they were needed, stood up for her people (Ellis vs McKay), and during her brief command several enemies were either defeated or heavily weakened.

But I'm open to other thoughts, so interested to hear other opinions.

Originally posted by YesIndeed View Post
    I was watching the first episode of season 5 and there's a line from Sheppard where he says something along the lines that he's never had a commanding officer he's respected more than Col Carter, ironically right before he follows up that he's going to get on the jumper to rescue Teyla even if he has to defy a direct order.

But it got me thinking about who was the best commander of Altantis, and I'll include Sheppard as one as well while he stepped in for Woosley during season 5.

For me there's no doubting that Carter is number one. She had a great mix of military and scientific experience, she followed military protocols but also allowed for flexibility as it was a mixture of military and civilian outpost. She made tough calls when they were needed, stood up for her people (Ellis vs McKay), and during her brief command several enemies were either defeated or heavily weakened.

But I'm open to other thoughts, so interested to hear other opinions.
    Except for the "military and scientific" experience, you could be talking about Elizabeth. She also made tough calls and stood up to others in authority, and stood up for her people as well. She also participated in several battles. Shephard repeatedly disobeyed her orders.

While Sam is my favorite, I would put Elizabeth right up there as an equal.

Comment

Weir and Woolsey are civilians so they wouldn't really count on the list of "COs" that Sheppard compared Carter to.

If the question is who do I think the best leader of Atlantis character on the show is, then Weir sits alone at the top of the list.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I was actually very sad and somewhat unhappy that Weir left the show and I really wished they hadn't done that. That being said, I think as a character Carter makes a better leader. And I am sorry for this confusing reply

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumentanglement View Post
          I was actually very sad and somewhat unhappy that Weir left the show and I really wished they hadn't done that. That being said, I think as a character Carter makes a better leader. And I am sorry for this confusing reply
          Just realized this contains spoilers. Should I delete?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Except for the "military and scientific" experience, you could be talking about Elizabeth. She also made tough calls and stood up to others in authority, and stood up for her people as well. She also participated in several battles. Shephard repeatedly disobeyed her orders.

While Sam is my favorite, I would put Elizabeth right up there as an equal.
            And if it wasn't for Weir making the hard call in S1 to put her own butt on the line with the Genii, Atlantis wouldn't have SURVIVED to have had Carter come in..

Its almost coming up to 8 years since that happened. I think the time for spoilers is long gone.

Comment

I think that weir was better at commanding Atlantis. While she listened to their situations she was able to keep anyone from going to far for the most part. She was also a great negotiator. While I like Sam, for some reason she never quite fit in as the leader the way Weir did. I think it was because she was basically just "one of them" but in charge. That being said looking back it did add a new dynamic as she knows that the team will have to bend the rules to get things done right and she can relate to them.
              sigpic

Comment

Elizabeth Weir -- no doubt the best leader the expedition had. None can compare.

Spoilers are only required when the show is still on the air. So, nope... you're good.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Spoilers are only required when the show is still on the air. So, nope... you're good.
                  Makes sense. Hopefully soon there will be a reason to put spoiler alert in these messages!

Comment

Makes sense. Hopefully soon there will be a reason to put spoiler alert in these messages!
                    Don't count on it.

Comment

Don't count on it.
                      I was actually hoping for any stargate show. I really hope that a new series will be made some time in the near future. Are you thinking that's not going to happen?

Comment

Are you thinking that's not going to happen?
                        I'm fairly certain it won't happen, especially with Devlin and Emmerich's big Stargate reboot getting cancelled before they even had a chance to get to it. Even if they themselves said that couldn't make it the way they envisioned it.

Maybe 20 years from now, or 10 maybe, but not in the near future.

Comment

I'm fairly certain it won't happen, especially with Devlin and Emmerich's big Stargate reboot getting cancelled before they even had a chance to get to it. Even if they themselves said that couldn't make it the way they envisioned it.

Agreed. Those events don't bode too well for the creation of a new stargate tv show any time soon.

Comment

While I liked everyone and both Wier and Carter did a great job. To be honest personally I loved Woolsey. He was the wrong person for the role, he doesn't have natural leadership charisma, he is a political puppet, a bean counter, an inexperienced "accountant".

He not only had to face difficult situations, but also overcome his own shortcomings, insecurities and lack of leadership experience. There was so much character growth in his story arc. So I yes he is my personal favourite and I think he was kind of leader Atlantis needed at the time.

Comment

Does stargate origin count?

Comment

Working...
                              X