Point of Origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin

Ok, so here's a question I'd love to know the answer to. Of all the many worlds the SGC visited how could they possibly the address to get back home. The address for would be the same except for the point of origin. So how do they know that is. This is an especially interesting question in the Atlantis pilot when they went to Athos. They were in a completely foreign galaxy without any intelligence about said galaxy, and given the urgency of the state of the power supply keeping the ocean from flooding the city they were desperate to find a evac site. There's no way they could know the 6 chevron address of Atlantis much less the PoI for Athos. Given this the expedition team on Athos by all rights should've been stranded there.

Data like that can be obtained from the Atlantis database. I'd imagine any address they have also has a corresponding address back, including the point of origin.

However for a more mundane answer, Stargate in general has never been great at being consistent with the point of origin. PoI originally were meant to be unique for each gate but that's shown repeatedly to not be the case.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      PoO originally were meant to be unique for each gate but that's shown repeatedly to not be the case.
      Yeah. It was meant (at least at the beginning) that there are 38 symbols that are the same on every gate plus one unique one on each that's the PoO, so for anybody travelling around it would be immediately apparent what the PoO is for the planet you're on. It'd be like telephones being numbered 0-9 everywhere, but at your house there's also a pi symbol that's not on anybody else's phone, your buddy's phone has an omega symbol on it that's not on anybody else's phone, etc etc. So there'd never be any question or confusion what your PoO is.

Plus--and I'm speculating here, I don't recall there ever being any proof of this--the PoO is probably in the same 'number position' on every gate; ie if you number all the symbols clockwise, the PoO is probably always #1 or #39, and always located between the same two surrounding symbols.
      Last edited by DigiFluid; 25 April 2017, 07:08 AM. Reason: Fixed "numbed" to "numbered"
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That makes sense. ANd then they had the original database, then the abydos cartouche to make a directory from.

So they had a beginning pattern, added hundreds/thousands to it and just let the computer crunch numbers from there.

It seems that symbols never repeat in the address so it'd be simple number crunching to have addresses come up and then set the dialing computer to run those each night, seeing which ones connect and which ones don't.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          That makes sense. ANd then they had the original database, then the abydos cartouche to make a directory from.

So they had a beginning pattern, added hundreds/thousands to it and just let the computer crunch numbers from there.It seems that symbols never repeat in the address so it'd be simple number crunching to have addresses come up and then set the dialing computer to run those each night, seeing which ones connect and which ones don't.
          Yup, that's even how the computer spat out new locations in the earlier seasons
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Yeah. It was meant (at least at the beginning) that there are 38 symbols that are the same on every gate plus one unique one on each that's the PoO, so for anybody travelling around it would be immediately apparent what the PoO is for the planet you're on. It'd be like telephones being numbered 0-9 everywhere, but at your house there's also a pi symbol that's not on anybody else's phone, your buddy's phone has an omega symbol on it that's not on anybody else's phone, etc etc. So there'd never be any question or confusion what your PoO is.

Plus--and I'm speculating here, I don't recall there ever being any proof of this--the PoO is probably in the same 'number position' on every gate; ie if you number all the symbols clockwise, the PoO is probably always #1 or #39, and always located between the same two surrounding symbols.
            I remember in a few episodes that they moved gates from place to place. This means that the point of origin imprinted on the gate itself is not relevant because the gate still works. I guess that button is pressed to upload information about the origin but the origin is internally determined by the DHD system itself. Is this right?

Comment

The DHD's can be reprogrammed. That was Ba'al's plan to rebuild his domain, steal a dozen or so gates and disable the correlative update program so they don't transmit their location to the rest of the network. Then there were the gates that WERE isolated that transported Merlin's lab every few hours to keep somebody like Adria from finding them, which worked for like 4 hops,

Comment

The gate address works, if what makes sense in my brain also makes sense in reality, imagine a big cube. For the first 6...let say you have sides 1-6, coordinate 1 is a 'dot' on side 1 and you stick a stick in at spot 1 and slide it out at spot 2 on the opposite side, then repeat for the other 4 sides....2 sets of opposing sides., so you have 3 sticks stuck into the cube, all meeting at one spot inside. That's where you want to go.
                then the point of origin - which is unique to each gate (theoretically, in reality their mobile prop gate had the same PoO for everywhere), tells it 'and I'm coming from here'. The gate network already knows the coordinates for 'here' so it connects a wormhole from the intersection of the 6 coordinates (3 sticks) to 'here'

With the theory that 'here' and teh different symbol for each planet always occupying the same spot on the DHD and gate, it really doesn't matter what that symbol is. Spot 39 will always be 'here' the PoO

Kinda like you can take your keyboard apart and switch around the keys (which they did on the stargate set, spelled out some funny and often inappropriate things), when you push down on that key it will always type the same letter.....so no matter what letter is printed on the Q key, when you push on it you will always get a Q.

sigpic

Comment

Not to complicate things, but Earth had two gates The one from Egypt that SGC had, and the one in Antartica which the Russians got their hands on, and then the NID (if I remember correctly).
                  And since in one episode Jack and Sam came back from 'off-world' to the Antartica gate, both Earth gates must have the same address & PoO.
                  So I wonder how the gates knew which one to use, & what would happen if SGC & the Russians/NID were both gateing in or out at the sasme time.
                  http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                    Not to complicate things, but Earth had two gates The one from Egypt that SGC had, and the one in Antartica which the Russians got their hands on, and then the NID (if I remember correctly).
                    And since in one episode Jack and Sam came back from 'off-world' to the Antartica gate, both Earth gates must have the same address & PoO.
                    So I wonder how the gates knew which one to use, & what would happen if SGC & the Russians/NID were both gateing in or out at the sasme time.
                    You got that backwards, the gate the SGC used was the one brought by Ra, and was beamed onto Thor's ship. THAT was the one that the Russians recovered. The one in Antartica was the original gate placed by the Ancients and had a different PoO. The SGC didn't have a DHD so the NID gate(using the DHD) then the Russian gate, i.e. "Ra's gate" with the corresponding DHD would've been the dominant gate(s) over the SGC gate. In either case both gates can't be active at the same time as shown in "Water Gate."

Comment

both Earth gates must have the same address & PoO.
                      So I wonder how the gates knew which one to use,
                      Again I'm speculating here, but my guess would be that (in the absence of a DHD establishing dominance), it was probably just down to charge. The SGC/Egypt gate was charged, powered, and 'plugged in,' while the Antarctic gate was effectively dead. It'd be like pressing power on a TV remote pointed at two TVs, one plugged in and the other not. It wouldn't matter if the remote could turn on both TVs, the one that isn't plugged in just isn't going to turn on.

But again, I'm speculating. I could be way off.

& what would happen if SGC & the Russians/NID were both gateing in or out at the sasme time.
                      As we saw in 'Watergate,' that isn't possible. Only one gate at a set of coordinates can be active at a time.
                      Last edited by DigiFluid; 29 April 2017, 10:06 AM.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        As we saw in 'Watergate,' that isn't possible. Only one gate at a set of coordinates can be active at a time.
                        That's what I said.....

Comment

Remember in Solitudes when the wormhole jumped the team had just been attacked and there was an explosion as they entered the gate. That burst of energy caused the gate to jump....and it jumped to the closest dormant gate....the one in antarctica.

I believe if there are two gates, the one with a working DHD is dominant. The DHD in antarctica was pretty much out of power, which is why the SGC gate, even without a DHD, was dominant.

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your answers.
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                            X