World Enough and Time (3611 / 1011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Enough and Time (3611 / 1011)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 36 (10)
    WORLD ENOUGH AND TIME
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3611 (1011)
    The Doctor tasks Missy to lead a rescue mission to a colony ship on the edge of a black hole. But when someone he is pledged to protect is shot, does the Doctor have any way to save her when time is no longer on his side?

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 24 June 2017, 09:17 PM.

OH ****! Not sure what else to write about the first half. So am I right that todays intro and the next Episode title are hints that its time?
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Ooh dang, that was a good one, wasn't it? All the right echoes of "The Tenth Planet," but never feeling redundant. A lot of really good dread build-up.

Questions I'm left with:

The Master says he used to be Prime Minister, obviously placing this after Utopia/TSoD/LotTL, and since we know he isn't resurrected until "The End of Time," I guess this must come after that in his timeline as well. I'm curious to know whether we'll find out how he got out of the time-lock that Gallifrey was trapped inside (though I'm half expecting that part will be ignored).

I'm also interested to find out why Missy doesn't remember her time here as the Master--might that have something to do with how he got out of the time-lock? Or maybe something happens here that blocks his memory once the story is told?

Maybe we'll end off this season with two regenerations--Capaldi into Doctor #13, and the Master into Missy?

How can Bill survive this one? Off the top of my head I don't remember ever seeing anyone de-Cyberman'd, so maybe she was a single-series companion all along? I don't think they've really said if she's in the Xmas special, have they? Though I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they've lied to protect story secrets if they have said, and it turns out she's not in it.

Interesting/strange to have the cold open feature the Doctor staggering out into the snow, alone, to regenerate. I wonder how that'll work into next week's episode/the Xmas special.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wowzer.

Seriously impressed.

I mean... Who had picked up a lot of late.... but this... wowzer...

I really enjoyed this episode. It really smacked off Classic Who in so many remarkable ways. I especially loved the disguise... Don't get me wrong, I saw it coming half way through, but it was very very good. Very oldschool Who!

I even liked the banter about the Doctor's name actually being Doctor Who...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

7/10 for me...

I had hoped that they had gotten the whole "Doctor Who" thing out of their systems. It wasn't funny the first few hundred times it was done, and it wasn't fun here.

Missy yay. +1 I always find her amusing.

Mondas Cybermen WOOT.....

The cloth covered cybermen are more scary then modern cybermen.

Bill got shot. That gun put a huge blooming hole in her. Yet she stood for an enormous amount of time on two feet till she didn't, and fell over.

The Master Master is back. Another Woot......

I'm wondering now if the Missy Master isn't that Master as she should have remembered this incarnation, or are they both playing a game with the Doctor, a very long game, or is Missy someone else that we might know from the past gone insane because of the Doctor?

I'm wondering how folks would react to Missy being an insane Susan?
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

You said it, Flyboy - Wowzer! Oh, as I was muttering over and over to myself - oh wait, I'm not keen on swearing... so let's just leave it at wowzer!

The snow, TARDIS, regenerating Doctor - SO Tenth Planet, and made me wonder if it WAS somewhere near the Snowcap station... I wasn't expecting to see that straight up either... very shocking, and very setting the tone for the whole 2 episodes... (and major queries about Capaldi's role in the Xmas ep)

As soon as Bill was shot, and then woke up with those glowing lights... and the comment about full conversion to come... I doubted her survival through this story.

Spoiler:
            I read before the first ep that she was only going to be in this season - not sure about the xmas ep, so - has been a bit hard to get invested - though she's been great overall.

As to the Master's disguise... like you, Digifluid, I was suspecting it was him part way through, thinking it would be a great reveal... I expect Missy not remembering will be easily dismissed, but then again - maybe the Master is, as his disguised counterpart suggested, due to be converted as well... only to then regenerate, but lose some memory...

Missy's goodness is really turning to be the crux of the season - will she stand by the Doctor's side... or... And talking of Missy and her ambling around at the start - I often hate things like this, but I found myself buying into the whole "Doctor Who" name... Very unlike me.

And.... wholy ****... I've finally accepted Missy as the Master! Only just occurred to me!

For continuity's sake... I was just thinking the other day, how nice it would be if Anneke Wills reprised her role of Polly for Capaldi's regeneration, given the fact he's back up against the Mondasian Cybermen... Wont happen of course, but would be a nice Christmas special to have a dying/recovering Doctor spend some time with an old friend...

Going to watch that again...
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

As much as I enjoyed it, they kinda spoiled it with the trailers... Only suprise was the Masters disguise...

Comment

I found that was the only part that wasn't a surprise--I had him pegged from the moment he came on screen. Otherwise though, the rest of the episode was a joy.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  I found that was the only part that wasn't a surprise--I had him pegged from the moment he came on screen. Otherwise though, the rest of the episode was a joy.
                  I have to say as well that I at least saw Bill coming, eventhough I didnt even watch the preview and just know whats supposed to happen this Season. That said I dont want Bill to go yet, I find her a whole lot more enjoyable than Clara. Though there is that thing, that she doesnt have a heart anymore. That might be a problem.

I would say Missy´s whole Character is bound to her being evil. Not sure if they can make it believable, that she actually starts caring at some point. So far she really doesnt and I ask myself whats in it for her that she plays along. Just entertainment? Destruction got boring?
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                  There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Ooh dang, that was a good one, wasn't it? All the right echoes of "The Tenth Planet," but never feeling redundant. A lot of really good dread build-up.

Questions I'm left with:

The Master says he used to be Prime Minister, obviously placing this after Utopia/TSoD/LotTL, and since we know he isn't resurrected until "The End of Time," I guess this must come after that in his timeline as well. I'm curious to know whether we'll find out how he got out of the time-lock that Gallifrey was trapped inside (though I'm half expecting that part will be ignored).

I'm also interested to find out why Missy doesn't remember her time here as the Master--might that have something to do with how he got out of the time-lock? Or maybe something happens here that blocks his memory once the story is told?

Maybe we'll end off this season with two regenerations--Capaldi into Doctor #13, and the Master into Missy?

How can Bill survive this one? Off the top of my head I don't remember ever seeing anyone de-Cyberman'd, so maybe she was a single-series companion all along? I don't think they've really said if she's in the Xmas special, have they? Though I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they've lied to protect story secrets if they have said, and it turns out she's not in it.

Interesting/strange to have the cold open feature the Doctor staggering out into the snow, alone, to regenerate. I wonder how that'll work into next week's episode/the Xmas special.
                    To answer a few questions here digi:

1) In The End of Time when the Master was sent back into the Time War chronologically it was literally a matter of minutes before the events of Day of the Doctor. Remember the one Timelord told Rassilon in The End of Time that the Doctor had the Moment, before we even knew what the Moment was. We additionally know that despite the stasis lock that the Doctor put in place in Day of the Doctor, it was not too long after that Gallifrey reappeared in the Universe (as we saw in Hell Bent and Heaven Sent) So we can assume that the Master escaped at the point in which Gallifrey reappeared. How much time it was stasis locked is unclear, but it is implied that time doesn't matter in the pocket dimension they would have been in so that could be a moot point. Either way that would explain how Missy knew Gallifrey had reappeared in the first place (even if she did lie to the Doctor where it is.)

2) Remember that Timelords don't retain memories of when they meet their past selves until the event occurs again. Like in Day of the Doctor, The Doctor couldn't remember meeting himself, and it was only after the even when the Eleventh Doctor was able to retain those memories as the other two saw them. The War Doctor and Tenth Doctor had no memory of it occurring at all and the Eleventh Doctor couldn't remember until it was all but over. It's the same for Missy.

3) I would like to see the Master regenerate. But it has been confirmed that Capaldi is still in the Christmas special so it won't be the end of the season when the regeneration occurs. Still I hope that if Missy does regenerate that the next regeneration still chooses to travel with the Doctor. My theory currently is that the Master will force Missy to regenerate out of the belief that she's all weak and pathetic for wanting the Doctor to trust her.

4) As for Bill... Hard to say. If that's the end of her then it's certainly a gutsy move. Kinda feels like it's missing some rounding off of the character though if that was the case.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Great episode, I hope Bill stays converted to a cyberman after Clara we don't need another oh she's dead but not really LOL ending.

My theory for next week is.... (Tin foil warning)
                      Spoiler:
                      Missy is not a future Master, she's the Doctors next regeneration in the form of the Valeyard (between his 12th and 13th incarnations (The Doctor never counted the War Doctor as The Doctor).

This explains why Missy has an apparent desire to turn good which is not in keeping with the Masters character at all. So I think we'll see Missy regenerate into the 13th Doctor next week and Capaldi Regenerate into Missy during the X-Mas special
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

The "Doctor Who" routine got on my nerves a bit and I was annoyed at how chilled out both the Doctor and Bill were about the situation, but both the Cybermen and Simm's return were brilliantly handled.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Cool episode, great stuff! I haven't seen much classic Who so I probably missed a lot of nods to fans of the earlier seasons, but this was really well done.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X