Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pyramid at the End of the World (3607 / 1007)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pyramid at the End of the World (3607 / 1007)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 36 (10)
    THE PYRAMID AT THE END OF THE WORLD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3607 (1007)
    An ancient pyramid mysteriously appears in the midst of Earth's three most powerful armies, signaling an alien invasion unlike any before -- where the invaders quietly wait to be invited to take control of the planet in order to avert a coming disaster.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 31 May 2017, 08:41 AM.

Fantastic episode. Truly brilliant. Wonderful to see actual UN troops within the narrative (though how their current relationship to UNIT stands is unclear). I really enjoyed this episode. In tone, it felt quite a lot like a decent high budget apocalypse movie. The blending of Sci-Fi outbreak with god-like stargateish aliens was brilliant.

One nitpick. For Rassilon's sake, will someone get the Doctor Who team a military advisor. Why the bloody hell was US Military Commander being addressed as Colonel whilst wearing the rank insignia (sported in a variety of uniforms) of a 4 Star General. Absolutely ridiculous. A minor detail, but one that proved highly distracting to me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Fantastic episode. Truly brilliant. Wonderful to see actual UN troops within the narrative (though how their current relationship to UNIT stands is unclear). I really enjoyed this episode. In tone, it felt quite a lot like a decent high budget apocalypse movie. The blending of Sci-Fi outbreak with god-like stargateish aliens was brilliant.

One nitpick. For Rassilon's sake, will someone get the Doctor Who team a military advisor. Why the bloody hell was US Military Commander being addressed as Colonel whilst wearing the rank insignia (sported in a variety of uniforms) of a 4 Star General. Absolutely ridiculous. A minor detail, but one that proved highly distracting to me.
      Given your Post and Avatar, I would say you are employed by the military and thats why it botherd you so much. I had basic military training as well, but after 12 Years no way I can name the ranks and corresponding symbols.

I really liked it as well and of course our Doctor was not blind for long. Though I think the writers made the big loophole a little too obvious this time around. Thing is the Monks where not taking consent without love for an answer, they needed to be loved. Bill however, gave consent out of love for the Doctor. Her allegience isnt with them.
      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Wow, what a ride!

For a moment, I really was expecting the episode to end as a cliffhanger -

Bill stuck on the alien's Pyramid as it departed (somewhere), Nardole unconscious in the TARDIS, and the Doctor about to be blown to smithereens...

Instead, we got what I am guessing is just going to have to be resolved by a great big ****ing reset button at some point...

So, for me, at this point - in order to "save the day", I need this to basically carry on now until the end of the season. Keeping the interest alive as it goes. Cos if it does just wrap up next ep - with the Big Red Button, I'm gonna be upset. But, if instead they keep it going... I dunno - somehow that feels better; maybe because Big Red Reset Buttons are so often used in the last 2 minutes of a 45min episode because the writer had a really cool idea but no idea how to actually resolve the matter within the time frame...

Overall it is feeling pretty Silence-ish... not that I'd hold that against anyone...

As to military rank/insignia... Yes, Flyboy, it's pisspoor that they couldn't get it right. They should have spent 2 minutes with Google to figure it out (if not actually getting a proper military fanboy along). I had no idea of the issue, and it thankfully as such did not disrupt my viewing.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Well, maybe in the Doctor Who universe, four stars = Colonel?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The tension in the episode just seems fake to me, because there's nothing stopping him attaching a camera to those psychic glasses of his. We've clearly seen he can already 'see' with whatever technosensors they have.
            Originally posted by Craig Charles
            "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

I liked this one better than Extremis, and the next episode preview really intrigued me.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X