Thin Ice (3603 / 1003)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thin Ice (3603 / 1003)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 36 (10)
    THIN ICE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3603 (1003)
    In nineteenth-century England the Doctor and Bill find a festival on the frozen surface of the Thames, and soon discover that a humongous creature lies beneath the feet of the city's poor and unsuspecting citizens.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 09 May 2017, 10:21 PM.

Was that.. an episode of Doctor Who with a proper story? And character development? Time between the plot points for interaction with the secondary characters?

Actual plot points?

More of this!

I mean the last two weeks have been nice enough, but they seemed hollow. Pilot was just a lot of running from one place to the next. Smile was "just keep smiling, then hit the reset button".

Things actually happened this week!

Comment

It was a good episode but it felt like the same sort of thing we've seen multiple times before. I mean the plot otself was pretty much the same as The Beast Below.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Maybe, but it felt like it had a lot more substance to it than Pilot did. It wasn't just fly to the other side of the world, fly to another planet, run away!!

And there's the Vault again, what/whoever is in there can knock.

But those kind of "mysterious vault that appeared out of nowhere this season" stories are always a bit of a letdown. How many times have we seen shows that build up a mystery over the course of a season? It can never live up to the expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          It was a good episode but it felt like the same sort of thing we've seen multiple times before. I mean the plot otself was pretty much the same as The Beast Below.
          With a touch of "Kill the Moon" thrown in.

Comment

Meh, I preferred Smile, I loved the minimalism of that episode. This was very much "seen it all before and done better".
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

It was also... I think... The first Doctor Who story set in Earth's history since Black Orchard that did not actually feature some alien plot/etc.

Ok, the fish may have been alien... But may have just been a deep sea fish that got lost...

It was interesting to note that the Doctor punched someone. That's not really been seen a whole lot in WHO. They chose the moment on this occasion to be about race... which was something we never really experienced with Martha (Shakespeare's flirting aside).
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Who do you think is locked in the vault that knocked three times? Here are my guesses:

1. The Master
                2. Missy
                3. The 13th Doctor
                4. A Sleeping Angel
                5. An Ice Warrior from Mars
                6. Clara
                Total syffy posts: 36,690
                (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                Matthew 5:9

Comment

The Master seems the most likely. But then the question is why? And he would have to get out to be able to regenerate into Missy..

But then The Doctor would already know that he gets out, he must get out, because he's seen Missy several times, and it's not like he doesn't know who she is. So.. Why go through so much trouble to try to protect the Vault if he already knows escape is inevitable? It won't change anything if The Master is in there. The Doctor's apparently unbreakable vow, his sacred duty to protect the Vault has already failed, and The Doctor would know that, if it is The Master in there.

There are so many Ice Warriors and Angels that locking one up in a special just appeared this season vault wouldn't make a lot of sense. Unless there was something particularly interesting about them.

The 13th Doctor.. But why? What does he know about his own future? Wouldn't that be a problem for future seasons?

Clara is gone. She's not coming back. After the whole dramatic she's really going to die!! But not really! ending. She had better not be back.

Comment

I'm certainly curious about whoever is in the vault. Enjoyed the episode and Sutcliffe certainly got what he deserved.

Did anyone actually catch the year they landed? Slavery was abolished in the UK and most of the Empire in 1833. The Regency era is often defined as the period 1811-1820, when "Mad King George" (George III) was declared unfit to rule and his son ruled as the Regent in his stead. Following his death, his son rose to the throne as King George IV.

However, because fashion remained pretty stable for quite a long time aftewards, the Regency era is often said to have lasted until 1837 and the coronation of Queen Victoria.

That said, the last Frost Fair was held on the Thames in 1814, which would fit.
                    sigpic

Comment

I had never heard of the Frost Fair before! Sounds pretty amazing, though of course plenty of places in the right regions have lakes & rivers freeze up regularly... Just never heard of it happening to the Thames! (Note, I'm Aussie.. )
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Revising the vault list based on rumors I've read.

1. The Master
                        2. The 1st Doctor
                        3. Missy
                        4. The 13th Doctor
                        5. Susan
                        (Chosen One)

Comment

I gave this discussion it's own thread here: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...8#post14575228
                          (Chosen One)

Comment

Working...
                          X