The Pilot (3601 / 1001)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maneth View Post
    I like Bill, although I wonder what the story behind her masculine (nick)name is.
    At least part of the reason is a reference to the first Doctor, William Hartnell (Bill) and his wife... Heather.

This episode was full of references to classic Who..

Comment

i cant believe it's been a year (i thought the last season was in 2016)! The coming up section at the end was interesting.
      "You don't know half of it".
      Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
      (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        At least part of the reason is a reference to the first Doctor, William Hartnell (Bill) and his wife... Heather.

This episode was full of references to classic Who..
        Not just classic, but specifically S1 Who. Good reason to call it "pilot" perhaps?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

So, the Vault..

Something from the First Doctor in there, maybe?

Comment

Maybe it's missy, and the master breaks her out!
            sigpic

Comment

I was thinking - something getting out, rather than someone getting in... But who knows... :}

I wonder if something from S1 of the new series will make a reappearance...
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                Maybe it's missy, and the master breaks her out!
                Or vice verca.

Regarding the daleks, it's to do with merchandising, the BBC sell millions of the things a year but there's some deal about they can only do it if the Daleks are in the series, otherwise the rights to merchandising revert to the family estate.

It's not so much a 'daleks must appear in every series' but rather 'if you (bbc) want to make millions from merchandising, you need to include them".

Iirc

Comment

I felt that this episode was a reboot within the own series. The original Doctor Who was really meant to teach and inspire curiosity. This had all of those elements and they did a pretty good job at re-introducing a less dark Capaldi. There's of course the overarching story arc, but they did a good job tying in Susan and River - like a circle, in which a new route will be taken. I don't know, it just felt that way and I'm glad the sonic glasses are gone!
                  "I swallowed a bug" River

Comment

Originally posted by wizelf View Post
                    I felt that this episode was a reboot within the own series. The original Doctor Who was really meant to teach and inspire curiosity. This had all of those elements and they did a pretty good job at re-introducing a less dark Capaldi. There's of course the overarching story arc, but they did a good job tying in Susan and River - like a circle, in which a new route will be taken. I don't know, it just felt that way and I'm glad the sonic glasses are gone!
                    I'm actually rewatching series 9 and I am really liking the Sonic Sunglasses this time round. They were cool. I'd actually like it if he still had them alongside the screwdriver.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I liked the sonic shades, and the guitar. To be honest, I'm less fond of the Screwdriver simply because it has been turned into a magic wand. I actually think they missed a good opportunity when they used the screwdriver, rather than the TARDIS -itself- to run the program to save Gallifrey in Day of the Doctor. Why did the TARDIS run off with the doctor? Because the TARDIS knew about the program, not the Hartnell doctor.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                        I like Bill, although I wonder what the story behind her masculine (nick)name is.

A good episode overall. Not excellent but by no means bad. I hope Bill settles a bit. I really hope they get rid of Bill's foster mom quickly, or at least avoid her. Rose's mom was bad enough, I would prefer not to revisit the mother hen episodes.

It's short for 'Billie' and is the feminine version of 'Bill'. The name means "determined protector".

I like her character too, but found it difficult to understand Pearl Mackie when she delivered her lines. She spoke very fast and at a lower tone.

I'm also glad they made The Doctor more likeable, akin to the earlier Doctors and David Tennant's interpretation.

Total syffy posts: 36,690
                        (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                        Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post

It's short for 'Billie' and is the feminine version of 'Bill'. The name means "determined protector".

I like her character too, but found it difficult to understand Pearl Mackie when she delivered her lines. She spoke very fast and at a lower tone.

I'm also glad they made The Doctor more likeable, akin to the earlier Doctors and David Tennant's interpretation.

He was still likeable in series 9. It was only 8 where he was a grouch.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post

Thanks, I like that. Of course, I must wonder if the name has any connection to Rose/Billie Piper.
                            sigpic

Comment

As far as I know, the reference is to William Hartnell, who played the First Doctor. I've read that his wife's name was Heather, too, which can't be a coincidence either.

Edit: Indeed it was already mentioned it in the thread: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post14570176
                              My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                              Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X