The Pilot (3601 / 1001)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pilot (3601 / 1001)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 36 (10)
    THE PILOT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3601 (1001)
    Bill Pots' life is about to change forever when a professor at the university where she works -- who goes by the name "the Doctor" -- takes her under his wing. But when a friend introduces Bill to a strange puddle of water, she becomes the target of an alien intelligence.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 15 April 2017, 10:54 PM.

I thought it was alright. Very enthusiastic and charming. But Nardole is still underused and the storyline was VERY throwaway... like, why couldn't the Doctor have just figured this all out when he first ran into the water as opposed to leaping from one side of the universe to another(and potentially leaving the Earth in danger!)?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The new companion has a decided Rose feel about her. Which might not be a bad thing, I rather liked Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        The new companion has a decided Rose feel about her. Which might not be a bad thing, I rather liked Rose.
        Completly agree. I like her already, though its notable that she does not quite fit with our current Doctor. I am very happy though that River is still being rememberd by him and I cant wait to see how his next personality is going to be. I would like him to turn a little more light hearted again. I wonder though, what could have happend to him and what did he promise. Most importantly to who?
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

What's in the vault? Who was in the puddle?

I like Bill, but hope she settles down a bit. Reminded me of Donna more than Rose...

A few Easter Eggs -

On the Doctor's desk - not just River Song's photo - also his granddaughter and first companion, Susan, not seen since The Five Doctors (1983).
          The "Mary Celeste" sign seen near the vault - the Doctor (and a bunch of Daleks) landed on the mysterious ship of that name in The Chase (1965). Also... there's rumours the Celestial Toymaker (1966) may be appearing this season...
          A girl with a star in her eye... vaguely reminiscent of "Lynda with a y" from Bad Wolf (2005) referring to one of the game shows on Satellite 5...
          "Out of Order" sign on the TARDIS door - again back in the b&w era, Hartnell put one on the door of the TARDIS in The War Machines (1966).

Oh, and talking of Dodo / War Machines... and because my brain kept hitting me throughout watching The Pilot...

Dodo Chaplet:
          29f4615cb568bc85b682078a6845ffd5c7ea3c0f_hq.jpg

Bill Potts:
          Last edited by cosmichobo; 16 April 2017, 04:33 AM.
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

I like Bill, a breath of fresh air for me. She also reminds me of Rose. I was reminded of The Waters of Mars, creepy.

Comment

What was the point of the daleks? Good episode though. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Comment

Oh - and those chaps with the white dreds were the Movellans from Destiny of the Daleks...

I expect to see Heather again...
                Last edited by cosmichobo; 16 April 2017, 05:30 PM.
                "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  What was the point of the daleks? Good episode though. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
                  I dont know who that contract is with, but the Daleks HAVE to appear every season. So I would say they tried to get them out of the way fast since they had to do it.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                  There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Terry Nation created the Daleks, and as per setup at the time, thus owned copyright over them (not the BBC). Since his passing, his estate therefore manage them.

When the new series was announced in 03, the big Q was whether the Daleks would return... and it became a big legal issue evidently... (one side effect for instance being that the ABC in Australia, which was part way into a screening of "every episode ever", had to stop showing Dalek stories)

But - whether or not they are contractually obliged to use them is up for debate. Moffat kind of denied the idea a while ago.
                    and lots more!

Comment

After last season I was approaching this ep with a sense of foreboding but I found myself engrossed. Like others I found Bill to have a slightly Rose Tyler feel to her character but that didn't put me off.
                      The story was enjoyable and PC seemed to be actually enjoying the role, something I felt was lacking in the last season.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can't help but think that Capaldi must feel really gypped. He lands his dream role - much as Tennant did - and gets lumbered with one season that questions the Doctor's motives, and then one that focuses heavily on the companion... followed by a year of nothing... and to top it off, possibly, pushed out by the brass who want a Tennant clone...
                        and lots more!

Comment

I like Bill, although I wonder what the story behind her masculine (nick)name is.

A good episode overall. Not excellent but by no means bad. I hope Bill settles a bit. I really hope they get rid of Bill's foster mom quickly, or at least avoid her. Rose's mom was bad enough, I would prefer not to revisit the mother hen episodes.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                            The Doctor was curious, if the Daleks could destroy the Puddle thingy. They couldn't.
                            sigpic

Comment

Frankly I would not be shocked if the Daleks' inclusion was deliberate bait for the fans, just to get a trailer that looked interesting.
                              and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                              X