Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spearhead from Space - Jon Pertwee/Rose - Cristopher Ecclestion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spearhead from Space - Jon Pertwee/Rose - Cristopher Ecclestion.

Hi,

I finished watching the first serial from Jon Pertwee - Spearhead from space. According to the extra's from behind the scenes, DR Who almost was canceled in 1969 as a 6 year B&W only piece.

I found this interesting. Jon Pertwee and color and a new writer and a reduced episode schedule saved Dr Who. Apparently the previous year of B&W filming of 44 episodes caused Patrick Troughton to quit. I can understand that.

Jon Pertwee's first year was for something like 26 episodes. The Cristopher Ecclestion series is about 13 episodes but in terms of comparing to the Jon Pertwee era, that makes 26 1/2 hour segments.

Spearhead had plastic dolls and manikins called (as one point) Autons. The Manikins came to life coming through store windows.

Sounds like the Rose episode with living plastic. Both are lots of fun.

As an aside, if Jon Pertwee and company had not been able to save Dr Who, the Tom Baker Doctor would not have occurred. Tom Baker was quite good but his attitude of having created the Doctor reminds me much of William Shatner being a Star Trek prima donna of sorts.

FWIW

Doug vV

Okay... so?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by edgarcorny View Post
      Hi,

I finished watching the first serial from Jon Pertwee - Spearhead from space. According to the extra's from behind the scenes, DR Who almost was canceled in 1969 as a 6 year B&W only piece.

I found this interesting. Jon Pertwee and color and a new writer and a reduced episode schedule saved Dr Who. Apparently the previous year of B&W filming of 44 episodes caused Patrick Troughton to quit. I can understand that.

Jon Pertwee's first year was for something like 26 episodes. The Cristopher Ecclestion series is about 13 episodes but in terms of comparing to the Jon Pertwee era, that makes 26 1/2 hour segments.

Spearhead had plastic dolls and manikins called (as one point) Autons. The Manikins came to life coming through store windows.

Sounds like the Rose episode with living plastic. Both are lots of fun.

As an aside, if Jon Pertwee and company had not been able to save Dr Who, the Tom Baker Doctor would not have occurred. Tom Baker was quite good but his attitude of having created the Doctor reminds me much of William Shatner being a Star Trek prima donna of sorts.

FWIW

Doug vV
      Yes it's the same enemy in Rose.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
      X