This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else found this weird?

Has anyone else thought it is weird or strange that a movie that spawned 3 seperate tv shows with nearly what 300+ episodes, and 2 movies has almost completly faded away? I mean no new video games, shows, movies, books, comics? Nothing. I mean just making a free roam stargate video game similar to destiny/mass effect could be potentially huge. But we get nothing. And when you try to google anything stargate related all you get is old news crap. I wish we could get some closure with atlantis and sgu. There is literally an infinte number of ideas to use but no one has taken the initiative to do it? I guess what im trying to say is why? Whats holding it back? I know mgm holds the rights but why havent they done anything with this super massive story/show? I even saw that a few actors have bought sets/props and even sheperd tried buy the rights to atlantis but was stopped/stalled? They could reuse alot of the effects and make a relatively cheaper show. I just cant shake the feeling that something behind the scenes so to say is going on. On another note has anyone ever read peter d Hamiltons commonwealth books or void trilogy? That would be an awesome streaming series. What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by Madcrazycats View Post
    Has anyone else thought it is weird or strange that a movie that spawned 3 seperate tv shows with nearly what 300+ episodes, and 2 movies has almost completly faded away? I mean no new video games, shows, movies, books, comics? Nothing. I mean just making a free roam stargate video game similar to destiny/mass effect could be potentially huge. But we get nothing. And when you try to google anything stargate related all you get is old news crap. I wish we could get some closure with atlantis and sgu. There is literally an infinte number of ideas to use but no one has taken the initiative to do it? I guess what im trying to say is why? Whats holding it back? I know mgm holds the rights but why havent they done anything with this super massive story/show? I even saw that a few actors have bought sets/props and even sheperd tried buy the rights to atlantis but was stopped/stalled? They could reuse alot of the effects and make a relatively cheaper show. I just cant shake the feeling that something behind the scenes so to say is going on. On another note has anyone ever read peter d Hamiltons commonwealth books or void trilogy? That would be an awesome streaming series. What are your thoughts?
    Well it is true that apparently MGM came into financial problems long about the time of the end of Atlantis and/or SGU. So likely they had to abandon those shows for something newer and more attractive. Time went by and people lost interest, the original cast was doing other things, etc. and so they haven't tried to reboot it. Until DD and RE come along and wanna do a whole new reboot with a brand new trilogy. Then THAT falls through, so yeah, it's pretty much stuck in limbo, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Madcrazycats View Post
      MGM sold off -massive- amounts of it's catalogue when it hit the problems Bhousden is referring to, and only really cared about 2 items in it's portfolio, Bond -and- Stargate. What I -think- the problem is, is that they just don't really know themselves what to do with it. The movies fell through due to the failures of E&D to sell themselves with ID4-2 (cause, ya know, it's not the 90's anymore), and the series really are relatively "fresh". Look at the re-boots we get, and how many of them are shows from the 80's? Hell, Star trek did not get a small screen reboot for what, nearly 20 odd years? SGU ended in 2011, a mere 6 years ago.
      Stargate -is- sinking into pop culture, but it will take -time- for it to really get in there.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I was always surprised SG never got a proper PC (or console) game.. I mean look at how many dozens there are for both Trek and Star wars. Hell iirc even BSG got one... And i wouldn't consider that anywhere near the popularity ball park SG1 was..

Comment

Hi,

I recall when Ted Turner purchased MGM and then sold all but the MGM film library for use as inexpensive programming for his series of networks and super-stations. I do not recall when in the late 1990s he merged his empire into another TV network empire (he controlled about 35-40% of NBC/ABC/CBS).

It eventually became Time Warner.

AOL (America On-Line) purchased Time Warner and then the digital bubble crashed. AOL came out on top with items of concrete value from the Time Warner purchase. Other dial-up providers died on the vine.

I think this was about the time you are talking about problems with MGM.

Back to the purpose of the thread - two recent films (oddly enough with Harrison Ford) came out with Harrison reprising his previous roles as Indiana Jones (Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) and Han Solo (Star Wars episode 7) might show a way for the next Stargate series to continue with SG1 favorites doing Cameos.

Star Trek did the first of this type I think with Star Trek TNG.

The STRONG economic good times of the 1990s are gone and the sluggish economy since about 2001 has restricted investment in entertainment very much.

If money is tight, the movie producers go for the biggest bang for the buck. I think the single biggest single item that has stalled Stargate in all its forms was the stupid attempt to make Independence Day 2 and 3. It was a great one time idea. I've never seen either. But the old rule of thumb was that the second film makes only 2/3rds of the gross of the first one because the secret gotcha's are out.

Star Trek 2 (The Wrath of Kahn) was an obvious exception to the rule and my have been the first time it had been broken. Doctor Who had an 18 year hiatus and this might be true for Stargate. I just hope for another Stargate sooner than later.

Just my ramblins.

Doug vV

P.S. I understand about Richard Dean Anderson burning out on SG1 in seasons 7 and 8. But that was a major blow to SG1. I think the replacements worked well, but in a parallel with Doctor Who Tom Baker defined/redefined The Doctor. Matt Smith did a great job in the rebooted series.
          Last edited by edgarcorny; 23 March 2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

re boots can be dangerous, if not done properly, we got lucky with the trek reboot, but if you do something like SGU, it can cost you more than you would make, and it could damage the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              I was always surprised SG never got a proper PC (or console) game.. I mean look at how many dozens there are for both Trek and Star wars. Hell iirc even BSG got one... And i wouldn't consider that anywhere near the popularity ball park SG1 was..
              BSG is interesting because while it is -Scifi-, it really wasn't sold that way. Scifi, HARD scifi is still seen as the domain of the "geeks and freaks", but soft scifi is seen as "cool" and "new" (see the success of the MCU movies, and the absolute spray of non sociologically based scifi that actually works on the big screen). BSG was far more -critically acclaimed- in it's run than SG (1/A/U) ever were, which is why it has gotten more "attention" than things like SG(X).
              Stargate can get there, it will just take more time.
              sigpic
              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                BSG is interesting because while it is -Scifi-, it really wasn't sold that way. Scifi, HARD scifi is still seen as the domain of the "geeks and freaks", but soft scifi is seen as "cool" and "new" (see the success of the MCU movies, and the absolute spray of non sociologically based scifi that actually works on the big screen). BSG was far more -critically acclaimed- in it's run than SG (1/A/U) ever were, which is why it has gotten more "attention" than things like SG(X).
                Stargate can get there, it will just take more time.
                Stargate could absolutely get there. BSG was critically acclaimed because it took what was traditionally somewhat hokey sci-fi and made a really good (at first) action drama set in the sci-fi realm. This what SGU tried to take advantage of but unfortunately ran in to bad timing with MGMs bankruptcy. I think this had more to do with its early cancellation than anything else. I've posted the ratings that the producers shared that show that SGU was doing pretty darn well, especially in the second season. I believe it has little to do with "traditional Stargate" fans not liking it and rebelling. With all that being said, I think the success of many of the new sci-fi shows (Dark Matter, The Expanse, etc...) and the new Star Trek movies proves there is an appetite for the genre in general. Maybe as those new shows come to an end around the traditional 5 year run or so that it would be a good time to conjur up some new Stargate.

Comment

Hi,

I watched Battlestar Galactica the original series in the 1970s and enjoyed it very much.

The recent reboot series, I watched most of the pilot but maybe I was tainted by the original. I did not get much beyond the first half of the pilot when I walked away.

As for SGU, I watch it on and off into the second season. It was good but the constant dark tint lighting and the soap opera presentation left me feeling cold and unsettled.

SG1 and SGA usually left me feeling good and up. The death of Doctor Beckett on SGA was one where I was left feeling down. Same for Daniel Jackson ascending.

Of course, the first time I saw an episode of Dr Who, I was turned off by the cheesy special effects and never went back. After I graduated from college (1980) and got my first job, I saw an interesting show that caught my attention. I later learned it was Dr Who and I have been Whovian ever since.

As another side comment related to entertainment with TV/radio/movies:

I loved the 30 minute radio and TV Lone Ranger serials. They have tried many times to do the Lone Ranger story in movie form. They all make the same mistake - try to retell the origin of the Lone Ranger. It is like the multiple remakes of Miracle on 34th Street. The original 1947-era is the best. The remakes fell flat on their faces.

If the Lone Ranger is done again, assume the audience knows the legend and make a new story or episode.

I hope SG1 and/or SGA are continued in some fashion. Maybe follow SG10 or another team with guest appearances from SG1 or Atlantis as needed.

As Lenard Nemoy once said, Star Trek (the original series) can be made forever but at some point the original actors will be like the Geritol Set.

FWIW.

Doug vV

Comment

Alot of things fade away initially only to return with full force. I would say that BSG has a huge future ahead of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X