Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Flight Path of Destiny and the Seed Ships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Flight Path of Destiny and the Seed Ships.

The information provided from the show says that the Ancients sent out the Seed Ships and Destiny followed 2,000 or so years later. Now as the universe is massive and expanding continually, I wonder how Destiny's flight plan is determined. It simply isn't possible for instance to travel in a straight line and reach every galaxy in the universe, presuming that is, that visiting every galaxy is what the Ancients wanted to do. There are galaxies surrounding all points of the Milky Way.

We also know that the stars that make up each galaxy have a finite amount of matter in them. By the time Destiny gets to the oldest galaxies is there a possibility that these galaxies will have burnt out?

We know the Seed Ships set off first, but might it be possible that they did not all set off in the same direction? We're not told how many Seed Ships there are or if more than one visits a particular galaxy at any one time. It always seemed odd to me that Destiny would be sent out 2000 years after the Seed Ships, as that is an extremely long time to wait. Destiny's technology appears to be of a similar age to the Seed Ships whereas, if there were 2000 years difference between the ages of the ships, Destiny would be a lot more advanced. Could it be that the Seed Ships set off in straight directions and Destiny set off in ever increasing circles so to visit every galaxy that was seeded with gates?

I would presume that more than one Seed Ship would visit any one galaxy as that would ensure that if one Seed Ship were damaged or even destroyed, others would be able to carry on the work.

It is established that the purpose of Destiny is to explore the mysterious code left by the Big Bang. The Seed Ships are probably involved in this exploration somehow and provide information to Destiny about where it should go in a galaxy. That is, unless they are programmed to go along a specific path that Destiny will later follow. We know Destiny carries along a specific flight plan as Eli uses this piece of knowledge to track Destiny down in the episode Lost.

Rush discovers some sort of hyperspace link between the Seed Ships and Destiny so could this link provide the information that Destiny needs to navigate its course. Also, Destiny begins downloading information from the encountered Seed Ship, the information from the hyperspace link must therefore be limited in someway as, if not, the download would be pointless.

So

1. Do the Seed Ships plant Stargates on every habitable, or near on habitable world, in each galaxy they visit?
    2. Do the Seed Ships need to pass on specific information to Destiny that allows it to choose its flight plan or do they actually determine Destiny's flight plan?
    3. Is it part of the mission for Destiny to rendezvous with Seed Ships periodically?
    4. How many Seed Ships are there?
    5. Were the Seed Ships and Destiny told specifically where to go, or does some system on board determine this? (As the universe is expanding and changing, the ships must be adaptable as the outer reaches of the universe will not be as they appear from Earth. The Ancients won't have known what the galaxies will look like when Destiny gets there.
    6. Could Destiny have been sent to the outer reaches of the universe first given that the stars in these galaxies will be the first to burn out?

Originally posted by Dr. Zelenka View Post
    1. Do the Seed Ships plant Stargates on every habitable, or near on habitable world, in each galaxy they visit?
    It looked like they put them on planets with stuff the ship would need.. Food, water, air filter replacement stuff..

2. Do the Seed Ships need to pass on specific information to Destiny that allows it to choose its flight plan or do they actually determine Destiny's flight plan?
    It looks to ME like they did the flight plan for the destiny..

3. Is it part of the mission for Destiny to rendezvous with Seed Ships periodically?
    Judging by how easy they seemed to automatically go into hook up mode, when rush saw one ahead on sensors and dropped out of lightspeed, in that ep we lost telford, i would say yes..

4. How many Seed Ships are there?
    IIRC we were told 3 in one of the first 4 eps.

5. Were the Seed Ships and Destiny told specifically where to go, or does some system on board determine this? (As the universe is expanding and changing, the ships must be adaptable as the outer reaches of the universe will not be as they appear from Earth. The Ancients won't have known what the galaxies will look like when Destiny gets there.
    Unsure.. I do think some of the flight plan was worked out ahead of time, the rest may be extrapolation on info it has collected..

6. Could Destiny have been sent to the outer reaches of the universe first given that the stars in these galaxies will be the first to burn out?
    I am not sure how it would reach THOSE first, then get back to do the flight plan its currrently on..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      It looked like they put them on planets with stuff the ship would need.. Food, water, air filter replacement stuff..
      In Air, only certain gates are accessible to the crew. This would indicate to me that the gates are placed on worlds that are not exclusively based on what the ship might need.

It is possible that the gates that are locked out are only locked out as Destiny knows that they don't have the resources they need.

The distance of the gates however from the resources - in the case of Air sole resource - that the crew needs, does indicate a purpose for the gates beyond resource collection. if not, why leave the gate next to the calcium deposits in Air?

Comment

Maybe when hte gate was placed, there was calcium/water closer? Remember the gates could have been there for hundreds of years... if not thousands.

Comment

The calcium in Air is found in a dried out seabed. A seabed that was a substantial distance from the gate. In fact, had the sea not dried out, it would have been impossible for the team to get to the calcium. The gate therefore cannot have been placed on the world to allow for the collection of calcium. The calcium was unattainable had the sea not dried up when the gate was positioned and, had the sea dried up when the gate was seeded, it was too distant from where the deposits were.

Possibly the world had other resources when the gate was seeded and Destiny was able to work out that it might have the resource i.e. calcium, there now.

If we follow this thinking, then every gate that is seeded on a world was there not simply as the planet had a particular resource or resources, but as the world might eventually have those resources.

Comment

Which makes you wonder, how the seed ships figured out that planet X will eventually have item Y and time spot Z...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Which makes you wonder, how the seed ships figured out that planet X will eventually have item Y and time spot Z...
              Yes, and it leads me to think that the Seed Ships may well have planted gates on every world that was habitable or could eventually be habitable.

Comment

Working...
              X