Thread: Wormhole physics

First Lieutenant

Default Wormhole physics

I don't if this has ever been discussed on here before, but here goes. Am I the only on here that has a problem with the range of Destiny's stargate? We've seen Atlantis dial clear to the opposite end of the galaxy, not to mention a whole galaxy altogether. The same with the SGC, O'Neill built a device that allowed him to contact the Asgard homeworld. So why can't destiny or the remotes dial distant gates? It's not like they left the galaxy or anything, I just don't get it. Is it simply bc they were assembly line models and liked power to dial a great distance? Perhaps maybe the ancients were only considering needing to use the gates ahead of them to gather supplies and such and didn't need to make long jumps??? Very weird.

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: Wormhole physics

Destiny was very old so the technology wasn't as powerful I would imagine. Also, like you mentioned about the power supply. The ship would be the only thing powering the gate which would be limited I would imagine.

Exactly. Think of her gates as being akin to a dial up modem, and the ones we see in use on SG1/atlantis as being a DSL modem with broadband speed!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly. Think of her gates as being akin to a dial up modem, and the ones we see in use on SG1/atlantis as being a DSL modem with broadband speed!
    They harnessed the power of a star to dial Earth. I think Destiny is more than capable of connecting to any gate in the galaxy it's currently in after a fresh recharge.

All that shows is with enough power it can be done, but didn't they also need to do a lot of work arounds to get it to work?

First Lieutenant

All that shows is with enough power it can be done, but didn't they also need to do a lot of work arounds to get it to work?
    My point was Earth is a 9 symbol address. Though it was unstable, it worked. So why can't Destiny dial any gate in the galaxy it's in?

Maybe its how it was configured. IT can only be dialed into/out to gates in its network OR earth.. Sort of like how when the lanteans left Pegasus they blocked out all incoming gate travel to atlantis from all addresses BUT earth..

First Lieutenant

Maybe its how it was configured. IT can only be dialed into/out to gates in its network OR earth.. Sort of like how when the lanteans left Pegasus they blocked out all incoming gate travel to atlantis from all addresses BUT earth..
    That was Janus that did that. The council wanted to block ALL access including earth to keep Weir's team from gating in again.

That is true. BUT since the destiny's gates/ship itself, seems like it might even pre-date atlantis, perhaps the gates didn't have the proper functionaity we saw later on in gate mark 2s..