Wormhole physics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wormhole physics

I don't if this has ever been discussed on here before, but here goes. Am I the only on here that has a problem with the range of Destiny's stargate? We've seen Atlantis dial clear to the opposite end of the galaxy, not to mention a whole galaxy altogether. The same with the SGC, O'Neill built a device that allowed him to contact the Asgard homeworld. So why can't destiny or the remotes dial distant gates? It's not like they left the galaxy or anything, I just don't get it. Is it simply bc they were assembly line models and liked power to dial a great distance? Perhaps maybe the ancients were only considering needing to use the gates ahead of them to gather supplies and such and didn't need to make long jumps??? Very weird.

Destiny was very old so the technology wasn't as powerful I would imagine. Also, like you mentioned about the power supply. The ship would be the only thing powering the gate which would be limited I would imagine.

Comment

Exactly. Think of her gates as being akin to a dial up modem, and the ones we see in use on SG1/atlantis as being a DSL modem with broadband speed!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Exactly. Think of her gates as being akin to a dial up modem, and the ones we see in use on SG1/atlantis as being a DSL modem with broadband speed!
        They harnessed the power of a star to dial Earth. I think Destiny is more than capable of connecting to any gate in the galaxy it's currently in after a fresh recharge.

Comment

All that shows is with enough power it can be done, but didn't they also need to do a lot of work arounds to get it to work?

Comment

All that shows is with enough power it can be done, but didn't they also need to do a lot of work arounds to get it to work?
            My point was Earth is a 9 symbol address. Though it was unstable, it worked. So why can't Destiny dial any gate in the galaxy it's in?

Comment

Maybe its how it was configured. IT can only be dialed into/out to gates in its network OR earth.. Sort of like how when the lanteans left Pegasus they blocked out all incoming gate travel to atlantis from all addresses BUT earth..

Comment

Maybe its how it was configured. IT can only be dialed into/out to gates in its network OR earth.. Sort of like how when the lanteans left Pegasus they blocked out all incoming gate travel to atlantis from all addresses BUT earth..
                That was Janus that did that. The council wanted to block ALL access including earth to keep Weir's team from gating in again.

Comment

That is true. BUT since the destiny's gates/ship itself, seems like it might even pre-date atlantis, perhaps the gates didn't have the proper functionaity we saw later on in gate mark 2s..

Comment

I posted this on here a few years ago. My thoughts on this:

The seed ships couldn't possibly carry enough raw materials to make millions of gates to seed across the universe. They most likely have some way of taking raw materials from planets when they drop a gate. These ships have to make the gates out of whatever they find. If all they can find is iron, the gates are going to have to be made of that. They'd probably dump the weaker junk metal as soon as they can find something better, but any gates made with inferior metals would still be used, why expend the time/effort/energy to disassemble a gate just to remake it with slightly better stuff?

And also any Naquadah that's found would need to be used only for things it's needed for (the internal workings of the gate) since it's pretty rare. Making a whole gate out of Naquadah when you have very short supply is pretty foolish. The Ancients could make the Milky Way and Pegasus gates entirely/mostly out of Naquadah because they had enough. Find a planet with a huge supply and you can keep going back for more. Seeder ships don't have that luxury. They can fill up with as much as they can carry and move on. It's impossible to go back for more as the main mission is far more important than making gates that are stronger that the Ancients may never use anyway.

The limited amount of Naquadah in the gate could be the very reason they don't have the power to reach very far. Maybe it isn't about how much power they have stored, but how much can be channeled through the gate to make a wormhole.
                    Also explains why the gates in Universe were so fragile as well. They were made of weaker stuff than the ones in Pegasus/Milky Way.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's a bit obscure but there's actually precedence for gates having a limited range within galaxies. It dates back to the season 5 episode "2001." Because there weren't DHDs on either the Aschen and Volian gates, Carter was able to find the Aschen homeworld by testing a theory of hers:

CARTER
                      In my early work with the Stargate program, I theorised that all things being equal, the outside limit per lock between two planets without a DHD is three hundred light years. The computer is searching for viable coordinates within that radius of the Volian system, P3A-194.

So without a DHD a gate has a 300 light year range when dialing another gate without a DHD and the planetary Stargates in SGU, of course, lack a DHD. This is a tad problematic in Destiny's case as it does have a DHD of sorts, so it should be able to dial any gate in the galaxy it's in and any gate in the galaxy should be able to dial it since it doesn't matter whether the outgoing or incoming end has a DHD for the Sg-1 described range limit to not apply. It would, however, explain why people have to hop between planetary gates to get from one end of the galaxy to another.

Of course, it's possible to surmise that the Destiny DHD simply is not advanced enough to correct for this problem and it was only later models that were (or, it was purposely designed not be advanced enough for security purposes). Obviously, this wouldn't present a problem for dialing to/from the Milky Way in the pilot episode because a DHD was present in the Icarus dialing room. Explaining how they dialed Earth under this technical limitation is a bit more involved, but not impossible.

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
                      That was Janus that did that. The council wanted to block ALL access including earth to keep Weir's team from gating in again.
                      One member of the council, Melia, who was sympathetic to Weir's situation suggested that it could be done when talking with Weir about the alternatives to her being allowed to return to the future. Her intent was to prevent the expedition from dying again, which she thought would give Weir comfort.

The council, as a whole, seemed as if they would have been fine with the idea that the expedition would again gate to Atlantis and again die, just this time without the time traveling jumper to save them because that was what was supposed to happen. Hence, as far as we know, nobody actually directed Janus to block access to the gate from Earth. Alternatively, Melia could have brought it up to the others while also telling them that Weir declined the offer, and since Weir was okay with it, they were too.
                      Last edited by Xaeden; 07 September 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X