Success of the comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success of the comics

What are your opinions on the upcoming SGU: Back to Destiny comics and more importantly do you believe its success/failure will push MGM to bring more Stargate live action content? As stated many times before, I'm not a fan of comics but want to contribute to showing that there is still interest in the shows if it makes a difference. What do y'all think?

I doubt it.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Not sure if anything Stargate will ever come again...maybe after enough time...maybe not.

I am interested in the comics as a means of wrapping up the cliffhangers SGU left us with. It's been so long I'm not sure I remember where the cliff is though...
      sigpic

Comment

While success of the comics may not guarantee any future TV shows, failure of the comics will almost certainly signal that the property isn't worth investing $ in.

So please, help them to succeed
        Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
          While success of the comics may not guarantee any future TV shows, failure of the comics will almost certainly signal that the property isn't worth investing $ in.

So please, help them to succeed
          Couldn't agree more. The "fans" pushed one licensee out years ago, Big Finish with their audio dramas. MGM has to see the property can still make money if we ever want to see a reboot or continuation or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
            Couldn't agree more. The "fans" pushed one licensee out years ago, Big Finish with their audio dramas. MGM has to see the property can still make money if we ever want to see a reboot or continuation or whatever...
            I think that's a huge misconstruing of things.

I came on board with Stargate fandom approximately....2002-03ish; became a big fan, involved in forums and fandom and whatnot. Big Finish was doing Stargate from 2008-12--ie when I was in the thick of it, Stargate-wise. And I had no idea there were Stargate audio dramas until I followed Doctor Who to Big Finish in early 2014, at which point they were already done with it.

There's an incumbency on the license/IP owner to promote the brand if they expect it to sell. When you have hardcore fans who aren't even aware that these products exist, that's a massive failure to promote and market your brand--not 'fans pushing out a licensee.'
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

There has been an Audio drama thread on these forums since 2007 that ran for 33 pages. Some of the authors came to the forums to promote and discuss the projects which may have been how I first heard about them but I honestly don't remember. I jut know I pre-ordered their first release right away. When they announced the end of the series I spoke with Paul Spragg from Big Finish via email and he said the fans reaction payed a big part. At the time MGM did promote the audio dramas on the Stargate SG-1 Facebook page. A lot of the comments were along the lines of "this isn't what we want, we want a TV show". He said they also tried reaching out to sites like Gateworld but no one seemed interested in covering the releases. The negative reaction from fans, low sales and lack of interest from Stargate related sites to promote the series are what led them to drop the license.

Here's a link to the facebook page... SG-1 big finish announcement

Now, if you follow some of the various Facebook threads promoting the new comics you'll see a lot of the same thing. Negative reactions because it's not a show, or even worse because comics are a "lesser medium" in the posters eyes.

I do agree MGM and the license owner need to promote their product but I firmly believe that the fans have a part to play as well. If fans dismiss the new material because it's not the format they want they are only helping guarantee they will never see what they are hoping to get come to fruition.

Comment

There has been an Audio drama thread on these forums since 2007 that ran for 33 pages. Some of the authors came to the forums to promote and discuss the projects which may have been how I first heard about them but I honestly don't remember. I jut know I pre-ordered their first release right away. When they announced the end of the series I spoke with Paul Spragg from Big Finish via email and he said the fans reaction payed a big part. At the time MGM did promote the audio dramas on the Stargate SG-1 Facebook page. A lot of the comments were along the lines of "this isn't what we want, we want a TV show". He said they also tried reaching out to sites like Gateworld but no one seemed interested in covering the releases. The negative reaction from fans, low sales and lack of interest from Stargate related sites to promote the series are what led them to drop the license.

Here's a link to the facebook page... SG-1 big finish announcement

Now, if you follow some of the various Facebook threads promoting the new comics you'll see a lot of the same thing. Negative reactions because it's not a show, or even worse because comics are a "lesser medium" in the posters eyes.

I do agree MGM and the license owner need to promote their product but I firmly believe that the fans have a part to play as well. If fans dismiss the new material because it's not the format they want they are only helping guarantee they will never see what they are hoping to get come to fruition.
                Well said, lightsyder.

Whenever I visited the Gateworld.net homepage, the news section was overwhelmingly focused on other film or TV projects that Stargate alumni are involved with, rather than Stargate tie-in material. Thankfully, I've seen more stories on the American Mythology comics and the Fandemonium books lately, but that's seems like a more recent development. For a while, it seemed like "Stargate Episode of the Day/Week" stories dominated the front page and I'm glad they've moved away from that focus, at least.

Comment

Thanks Lorne! It does seem like Gateworld is getting a revitalization lately. The site has been postibg updates about the SGU comics, Fandemonium authors are stopping by the forums, same for American Mythology. Now we just need the Stargate panel at SDCC to be an awesome announcement!

Comment

Thanks Lorne! It does seem like Gateworld is getting a revitalization lately. The site has been postibg updates about the SGU comics, Fandemonium authors are stopping by the forums, same for American Mythology. Now we just need the Stargate panel at SDCC to be an awesome announcement!
                    Yeah, I was excited to read about that panel. I'm tempering my expectations, but news of a series revival would be all kinds of awesome. One of the MGM people will be in attendance, so that's promising, at least.

Comment

Looks like David from Gateworld will be part of the SDCC panel

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...mes-sdcc-2017/

Comment

Keeping my hopes in check for now but am I excited about some of the wording used. To be exact the quote on the SDCC website says "There will be exclusive news, sneak peeks, and giveaways — so come ready to embark on a new journey." NEWS...SNEAK PEEKS...NEW JOURNEYS? Sorry...forgot I was keeping my hopes in check.

Comment

I really do hope the success of the comics will make them bring more Stargate live action content...I say success cause here we sold out of the SGU Comic at the comic book store and the workers had to order me one

Comment

I saw a rumor about a mobile game on Reddit

Comment

I tended to see people being dismissive of the tie-ins because they "weren't canon". People weren't interested in just having an experience, if it wasn't canon.

I picked up the first issue of Stargate Universe. I'm still a little disappointed that they didn't do a Kickstarter for it (mostly because I wanted to buy-in and get my likeness in the comic) but I really enjoyed it. Eager to see more and get the story momentum going.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X