Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if you went back in time and prevented Ascended beings from ascending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if you went back in time and prevented Ascended beings from ascending?

So here's a question that popped into my mind ;
    What if you went back in time and prevented an ascended being from ascending? And even more, for example prevented the whole of the Alteran race from ascending? Do you think Ascension makes you no longer vulnerable to our perception of time? Do you think the Ancients would try to stop you? Even if it's against their rules?

Perhaps the Plain that ascended beings exist on has a totally different perception of time, and thus ascending makes you escape the reach of our time, so could there be ascended beings that never existed in the first place? Their existence removed from our plain by an accident involving time?

I just love thinking about stuff like this, please tell me what you think!

Originally posted by StarGoat View Post
    So here's a question that popped into my mind ;
    What if you went back in time and prevented an ascended being from ascending?
    An ascended being is already ascended, otherwise it would not be an ascended being.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Here's a question for ya. What would happen if somebody, say Ba'al, using his network of satellites went back in time while Anubis was still human and killed him for real, and kept him from meeting Oma. He wouldn't have been able to ascend, he couldn't download Thor's brain, and Ba'al never would've have access to Asgard beaming tech in Continuum. Come to think of it, he never used it in that movie, probably because he didn't have it. But then what he did mean when he called Hayes up on a sat phone and said, and i'm paraphrasing here, I thought i'd call you this way rather than just appear in your oval office. This implies that had access to Asgard tech, so why didn't he just beam the gate up from McMurdo rather than obliterate it from orbit? For that matter, if Anbuis was alive in Continuum i can't believe he would've allowed Ba'al to replace Ra as the Supreme Lord of the goa'uld.

Comment

It would cause a paradox. Say there are ascended beings. You go back in time and stop the ancients ascending. That means, the ascended beings wouldn't exist in the future. Therefore if they didn't exist in the future. You wouldn't have made the decision to go back in time and stop them. Paradox.
        Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal...WACKO!

Comment

Originally posted by WackyTraveler View Post
          It would cause a paradox. Say there are ascended beings. You go back in time and stop the ancients ascending. That means, the ascended beings wouldn't exist in the future. Therefore if they didn't exist in the future. You wouldn't have made the decision to go back in time and stop them. Paradox.
          Time is wibbly-wobbly for a reason.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

In any time travel attempt butterfly rules always apply
            (dont kill your grandfather - dont step on any butterflys)

But I always thought once they discovered the time ship made by
            Janis the ancient, they should take that & go prevent anubis from ascending

You would have to go to Keb & ask Oma for details.
            Even if afterwords morris/merden/merlin came back to punish you for interfering,
            I dont think he would be that upset for removing the problem that affects him too.

But as always, that may not do any good - for the same reason the government
            has problems handling the drug dealers. take out the one in charge, another
            takes their place. go back in time to kill Hitler or anubis, another will take their place
            (think about that for a while)

Comment

Stargate ditched the paradox form of time travel after "1969." There they used the predestination paradox. After that, Stargate's form of time travel has been consistently paradox free. A person can go back in time and kill his grandfather and then live his life out in the past, no problem. When someone goes back in time the future ceases to exist and is recreated based on their actions. Because it's a TV show it's usually recreated with minimal regard to what the actual butterfly effect means and thus doppelgangers of one's self can be reborn and travel back in time to meet that person in the past any number of times even though someone went back thousands of years. Nevertheless, because it is not necessary to ensure that the same version of a person goes back in time in order to have gone back in time "in the first place" it's also not necessary that one be born in order to have gone back. Thus, killing one's grandfather would be possible in Stargate's universe.

Regarding killing Anubis; the problem with that is that his actions led to both the downfall of the system lords and the destruction of the replicators. If you write him out of history, then you better hope you can definitely return to various points in the new timeline and effectively orchestrate events so that those monumental events reoccur.

Regarding taking out all of ascended beings; considering they were unwilling to interfere to ensure the Ori didn't take over the Milky Way and, ultimately, kill them all, I suspect they would similarly sit out a person wiping them all from existence via time travel.

Comment

Working...
              X