X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Richard Hatch, 1945-2017

Oh what a shame...

Richard Hatch 1945 - 2017

STARBURST is very sad to learn that Richard Hatch, best known as Captain Apollo in the original 1978 version of Battlestar Galactica.

Born in Santa Monica on May 21st, 1945 and began acting in the theatre in Los Angeles, before performing Off Broadway and winning an Obie Award for the run of PS Your Cat is Dead in Chicago.

As well as the iconic role, he played Tom Zarek in the re-imaged version in 2003. A staple of US TV in the ‘70s, he appeared in shows such as The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Hawaii Five-0, and in the ‘80s with Hotel, Murder, She Wrote, and Fantasy Island.

Inspired by his attempts to revive the original Battlestar Galactica by writing a series of novels, Richard created his own space-based drama, The Great War of Magellan, for which he wrote a comic book series and a role-playing game. He remained incredibly busy in films and was a popular guest at many conventions.

STARBURST sends its thoughts to his family and friends.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

OMG! I finally sat down and watched the original BSG as an adult last summer then met Mr. Hatch at a small convention in St. Louis. I have gained a new appreciation for that show and I had a wonderful time interacting with Mr. Hatch at the con; a HUGE bonus of small conventions. What terrible news! I know since the end of the original BSG he has been the heart and soul of making sure people don't forget that show. I certainly hope that fire can continue to burn without him.

Comment

RIP Richard Hatch. He certainly kept the interest in the original BSG going, but he was also willing to take part in the reimagined version, where he appeared as Tom Zarek. (Unlike Dirk Benedict, for example, who was so offended by a female Starbuck that he would have nothing to do with the new show, not even to rekindle interest in the original.)

My thoughts go out to Richard Hatch's family and friends. RIP.
      sigpic

Comment

Over on the website CBT.com is where i learned of this, and i have to give props to the guy there who started it, for using one of my fave BSG phrases..

SO say we all!... You will be remembered fondly Richard.
        RIP Apollo.

Comment

Just posting a link to a post I made in The Obituary Thread that has links to Richard Hatch Tributes: https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post14553359

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

I liked Richard Hatch better in his 1978 BSG role as Captain Apollo than his Tom Zarek role in the remake of Battlestar Galactica. His 1978 role had a more attractive futuristic type of fashionable uniform, than the clothes he and other BSG characters had in the BSG remake.

I will forever remember Richard Hatch's marriage with the very beautiful Jane Seymour in the original BSG.
            Sad news of his own passing, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
              I liked Richard Hatch better in his 1978 BSG role as Captain Apollo than his Tom Zarek role in the remake of Battlestar Galactica. His 1978 role had a more attractive futuristic type of fashionable uniform, than the clothes he and other BSG characters had in the BSG remake.

I will forever remember Richard Hatch's marriage with the very beautiful Jane Seymour in the original BSG.
              Sad news of his own passing, tho.
              There are alot of things about TOS that are better than nBSG. They could have done without the goofy helmets, though.
              Regarding Apollo's matchup with Serena (Jane Seymour), they did an even better job with her death scene, very shortly after they were sealed.

Comment

I didn't mind the helmets..

Comment

RIP . An excellent actor, and a true tragedy.

Comment

RIP Apollo & Tom Zarek.

Comment

Working...
                    X