Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the planet in "The Broca Divide" tidally locked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the planet in "The Broca Divide" tidally locked?

I haven't seen the episode in such a long time I can't remember if there was a day/night cycle at all.

I thought about this quite a lot. But according to my research, if a planet is tidally locked. It would be too cold on the dark side and too hot on the light side to support life. The only way for life to form and exist would be in the middle between light and dark. Still it was never really explained in the show, so there is no way of knowing. But I'd say there would have been a day/night cycle.
    Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal...WACKO!

Comment

According to the stargate wiki, the planet is tidally locked, rotating around the sun and on its axis at a pace that keeps one side in constant light and the other in constant darkness. Wacky is right though. Doing that would make the extreme opposite ends uninhabitable. Though, I always assumed that the middle section would be a slow transition of hot/cold/light/darkness in either direction rather than a dark/light boundary.
      And I'll have to rewatch the ep since I thought the boundary was a result of the vegetation (there are jungles on earth that are so thick the night never reaches the bottom)

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

It's not like the show is really rooted in hard science. That the planet is tidally locked seems as good an explanation as any, IMO.

I'd caution against trusting anything said in the Stargate Wikia, though. That place is awful; filled with half-truths, suppositions, and mixing non-canon in with actual canon. Anything read there should be taken with a dumptruck of salt.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
        X