What if Stargate was real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
    Let's pretend for a minute that there really was a stargate and real aliens with advanced technology. We send people through the gate to acquire this tech, and send it to a top secret facility, i.e. Area 51. What are the odds that spies or some other outside interest learns about all this and steals the technology for personal gains, like The Trust? I mean it's all conjecture, but it could happen, right? Or am I just being paranoid that nobody is infallible including those with high level security clearance. Before Snowden I would've said it was impossible, but it's not unlike there has never double agents working from both sides. It was more common that people realize all through the cold war.
    What you're referring to are whistleblowing leaks of information that is widely shared in intelligence circles to analysts of varying levels.

That the Stargate exists and that advanced technology is being developed by the U.S. government would be similarly difficult to keep quiet. The writers have acknowledged that by having their version of the government unable to even keep that private from the public; they have to rely on the idea that it appears too absurd to be believed in cases where there is no supporting documentation and putting pressure on reporters in cases where there is.

Detailed plans on top secret technological advancements have much more limited access points and greater safeguards in place. It's certainly not impossible for someone working with such information to sneak it out and sell it to a foreign government. The use of contractors is another problem, but contractors would have limited access to specific information related to what they're working on, so leaks there would be project specific.

The other problem is that access to information and an ability to replicate that technology are two very different things. Doing so requires a certain level of infrastructure and access to the same materials. A lot of Earth's alien inspired technology, for example, requires access to raw materials like naquadah and trinium or recovered technology like, in the old days, the Goa'uld crystals that were important components within the Prometheus. There's therefore another level of protection that doesn't exist with real world technology.

So, yes, another country could get information on alien technology, but it wouldn't be as easy to do as what Snowden and Manning did and once that information is available there's a limit on what could be replicated with Earth supplies and even in that case it would take a lot of work to develop.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8fVAfIFZBI

A stargate was seen in the sky in 2019.

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
      Let's pretend for a minute that there really was a stargate and real aliens with advanced technology. We send people through the gate to acquire this tech, and send it to a top secret facility, i.e. Area 51. What are the odds that spies or some other outside interest learns about all this and steals the technology for personal gains, like The Trust? I mean it's all conjecture, but it could happen, right? Or am I just being paranoid that nobody is infallible including those with high level security clearance. Before Snowden I would've said it was impossible, but it's not unlike there has never double agents working from both sides. It was more common that people realize all through the cold war.

Comment

Aramu Muru is also interesting in Peru.
        https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/aramu-muru
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
        X