Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel Comics & Marvel Unlimited

Marvel Comic Readers

Anyone reading Marvel Comics? Looking to start? This is a good place for discussion and information. Post what you're reading or what you've read. If you don't read comics or don't like comics, let's keep those discussions elsewhere please so we can keep this thread a little more focused.

Marvel Unlimited - what is it?

Marvel Unlimited is the digital subscription service offered by Marvel Comics. For a monthly fee of $9.99, or an annual fee of $69.99 (shop around for promo codes), you get access to the Marvel Unlimited digital library of comics on your desktop or mobile app.Once you’ve paid and signed up, you can read as many Marvel Comics as you like, as often as you like, whenever you like. First time I did it I was monthly and got the first month free. This time around I'm annual and ended getting it for $60. My iOS app works really well, and my Android tablet works pretty well too (I had to side load on my Amazon Fire Tablet). In browser reader is good too.

For reading order guides and general reviews I love
    http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-c...g-order-guide/
    sigpic

I'm not a Marvel reader by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been enjoying the heck out of the new Invincible Iron Man title (with Riri Williams).
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Marvel Civil War Event

My first foray back into comics after many years away was the Civil War Event. This event consists of the Civil War Event comics, but then have a large number of tie-ins to major Marvel Characters and teams. This has become a popular formula for Marvel Comics and I love it! The main Civil War event consists of 8 comics and if you include all the Tie-Ins it comes to a around 100 comics. As someone familiar with the Marvel universe but without much comic reading experience this was easy to jump into and a good way to get a taste of a wide variety of comic characters and writers.

http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-c...t-7-civil-war/

I would highly recommend this event. It doesn't require much (if any) back reading to get caught up on what is going on so is great for beginners as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I'm not a Marvel reader by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been enjoying the heck out of the new Invincible Iron Man title (with Riri Williams).
        I'm working my way in that direction. Starting around the year 2000 Marvel started all the major comic lines over at Issue #1 and called it Marvel Ultimate. This was a universe separate from the Prime (if you will) Marvel Universe we all grew up with. A couple of years back you ended up with a series of events working within the Multiverse. I have currently read right to the cusp of the major event where these Universes interact in a big way (trying not to spoil too much).

I'm now beginning reading the Ultimate Comics (started Spider-Man, X-Men and about to start Iron-Man and Iron-Man II). There is a lot to read but I'm not in a rush and I'm enjoying these comics. The Ultimate Universe made some big news with Miles Morales (I'm not there yet) as the black Spider-Man and many other things.

Riri is in the Prime (616) Universe but in the aftermath of quite a few awesome events I want to read first. I've heard really great things!
        sigpic

Comment

Ultimate Iron Man (5 issues)
          Ultimate Iron Man II (5 issues)

Ultimate Iron Man is the name of two comic book miniseries written by Orson Scott Card and published by Marvel Comics. The stories tell the origins of the Ultimate Marvel version of Iron Man, who appears in The Ultimates.
          I just finished each of the above series (10 issues total). Pretty fun read, it's like Iron Man Origins meets Ender's Game. Almost to a fault if you're familiar with Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow (I think it pulled from this a lot). If you read it, keep in mind this is the Ultimate Universe so characters differ slightly from the Prime Universe we're familiar with.

You could read this without any other Marvel\Ultimate Universe knowledge if you just thought the Orson Scott Card thing sounded cool.
          sigpic

Comment

Recently Read (from Marvel Ultimate Universe)

Marvel Team-Up 1-16
            -These were hit or miss for me depending on which character they had Spider-Man "team-up" with. Overall I enjoyed them, but not my favorites.

Spider-Man 14-21
            -I continue to enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man
            sigpic

Comment

Wolverine (2003)

So far I've read 1-48 and am loving every minute of it. This is the violent yet caring Wolverine we all love so much. I think anyone can jump right into this series with some basic Wolverine knowledge, although there are some origins stuff you can look up if you want to.

I also read the X-23 (2006) 6 issue series and X-23:Target X (2006) 6 issue series and thought they were pretty awesome as well.
              sigpic

Comment

There's so little comic talk on these boards, I wish I could participate more here!
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

There's so little comic talk on these boards, I wish I could participate more here!
                  I was hoping for more as well...so you primarily read DC? I will be on board the moment they have a $10\month $60\year service!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                    I was hoping for more as well...so you primarily read DC? I will be on board the moment they have a $10\month $60\year service!
                    I'm mostly a DC guy, yeah. Bat-family stuff the most, but I've enjoyed the All-Star Western/Jonah Hex stuff I've read too (which is admittedly not a ton). I've also been pleasantly surprised to be enjoying the heck of out Superman and Action Comics ever since DC started the Rebirth event (this is a surprise because traditionally I don't care for any Kryptonian stuff at all).

There's a handful of others I follow as well. Mostly stuff from Image, like Walking Dead and Nailbiter.

Broadly speaking I've had a bit of a hard time getting into Marvel stuff. Certainly some of the problem is that I'd like to check some series out, but pretty well every one of them becomes an exercise in 'well, where do I even begin?'

I've enjoyed the couple of Marvel titles that I've read that are outside the mainstream universe/canon though. Old Man Logan (the original run) was a fun read, and Garth Ennis's...ah...R-rated take on Punisher was just terrific.

Comment

Where do I begin with Marvel?

http://www.comicbookherald.com/where...marvel-comics/

I love this site for reading guides and advice that doesn't spoil stuff to come.

Broadly speaking I've had a bit of a hard time getting into Marvel stuff. Certainly some of the problem is that I'd like to check some series out, but pretty well every one of them becomes an exercise in 'well, where do I even begin?'

I've enjoyed the couple of Marvel titles that I've read that are outside the mainstream universe/canon though. Old Man Logan (the original run) was a fun read, and Garth Ennis's...ah...R-rated take on Punisher was just terrific.
                      Marvel has included quite a few launch points since 2000.

The Easiest is the Ultimate Universe

The Ultimate Marvel Universe is thrilling, a fantastic entry-point, and rarely wastes time on slow plodding storylines. For the uninitiated, Marvel’s Ultimate line of comics takes all the existing and known characters – Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Avengers – and recasts them in a similar, yet different Ultimate Universe set in the 2000s. It’s the sort of concept that could have fallen flat on its head, but actually works for some of the best Marvel stories of the decade.

Below you’ll find a reading order for the Ultimate Universe. Although I split up all the issues, I would mention that you can actually read a lot of these series without too much concern for the others. For example, I read over 100 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man before I ever even thought about the outside Ultimate Universe, and the reading experience was highly enjoyable. So roll with the approach that feels right to you.
                      http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-c...reading-order/

This includes some of the top titles and a complete reading order (I just passed Ultimate War)

Event Centered Launch Points

Marvel does a lot of big events that cross over various character\team comics. My first jump in was the Civil War Event which has about 100 issues including all cross overs.

Secret Wars is what I want to read, but decided to get fully caught up on the pre-reading (shorter fast-track reading guides exist) but I'm enjoying the longer ride.
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay. I have a ton of Bat-trades on my shelf still to read, but I'm going to dive into this Ultimate Marvel business anyway

Comment

So I spent most of this morning reading through the first 13 Spider-Man issues, as in that site's suggested reading order/guide. I was kind of amused to find that the first 5 or 6 are nearly scene-for-scene the first half-hour of the first Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire film

Comment

I'm 30ish issues into Ultimate Spider-Man, I think it's the best series in the Ultimate guide (although the others are enjoyable too).

Minor Spider-Man and Ultimate Universe Spoilers (more like a preview)

Spoiler:
                            I know enough from stuff I've seen to know the Ultimate Universe is where Myles Morales becomes Spider-Man but I think that is towards the end of the run.

Secret Wars, which I really want to read is when the Ultimate Universe and Prime Universe collide so somehow that is a part of it and the different versions face off or something.
                            sigpic

Comment

A few days ago I went through the Daredevil/Elektra series..not sure it blew me away, but in a roundabout way I do feel like it gave me a bit more context regarding their early relationship that was only shown in bits and pieces in the Netflix series. I know, they're not the same continuity, but they're coming from a very similar place, so...close enough for government work.

Last night and this morning I went through the follow-up series, Elektra, as well. I enjoyed it a bit more than the Daredevil/Elektra series. It was nice to see Kingpin play a big role, since at this point he's already debuted in the Spider-Man title; helps to start stitching this all together into one universe. I was a bit thrown that he's back in town, after having gone into hiding for murder in Spider-Man #12, but hey--it's not like comic continuity is ever perfect.

I'm interested to see the two Iron Man miniseries. I've read that these are not strictly in continuity with later stories so I may end up tossing them out from my head-canon, but I'm still curious to read them. And Card is kind of a dick in real life, but he writes interesting fiction.

Comment

Working...
                              X