Could the Asgard be from the MW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Asgard be from the MW?

So, I've been thinking long and hard about this new theory I have, and concluded that the Asgard were from the MW. The strongest evidence of this theory is the "Great Alliance" The Nox, Ancients, and as far we know the Furlings were all from the MW so how would they meet the Asgard. Second, "Ernest's planet" where they all met was in the MW. Third, the description of the planet where the Asgard ran into the replicators sounds like Reese's planet. Fourth, all the planets that were liberated and protected from the goa'uld by the Asgard were all in the MW, granted the goa'uld didn't have intergalatic ships. But consider this, why would the Asgard care so much about planets in the MW if if wasn't their home galaxy? There's probably more evidence but to make a long story short, I'll let these 4 facts stands on their own merit for the time being. So all that said, it's possible that once the Asgard picked the replicator blocks up on Reese's planet and when they lost containment of them they may have migrated to the Ida galaxy to escape them, but were followed by them. Or, the ship infected by the replicators may have been taken over by them by the time they reached Ida. Be that as it may, I stand by my theory that the Asgard were from the MW.

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
    But consider this, why would the Asgard care so much about planets in the MW if if wasn't their home galaxy?
    The Asgard have interests in multiple galaxies. Example:

KVASIR
    Thor sends his apologies for not attending personally, but he and Heimdall are in a neighboring galaxy dealing with a most sensitive matter. In his stead, I have conveyed the time dilation device, as requested.

-Ripple Effect

As you, yourself, sort of note, all of your points are countered by the fact that they are an intergalactic species. This is like asking why the U.S. cares about what's going on in other continents if they're not their home continent or why Earth makes alliances with and protects people in the Pegasus galaxy.

Here's a scenario: You're the Asgard, you develop intergalactic hyperdrives, you explore neighboring galaxies, and while doing so you meet friendly intelligent aliens. Are you going to say no to an information exchange just because they're from another galaxy? And why wouldn't you meet on a planet near them if they all live in this one galaxy? It hardly makes more sense for them to all travel to you, and if they did would you say they all originated in the Ida galaxy?

Beyond that, there's technology to be found in the Milky Way thanks to the Ancients leaving so much of it behind so the Asgard have an interest in continuing to go there for scientific purposes. We know, for example, that they somehow gained access to (but didn't fully understand) the Ancient database.

There are also "humanitarian" and military reasons for helping humans against the Goa'uld; it's not in their interest to let the Goa'uld go completely unchecked and just hope those pesky serpents never grow in power to threaten them in Ida. Plus, they seem to legitimately care what happens to humans. You have the whole second evolution of the Ancients and human potential as the Fifth race angle as an explanation, but you also have general caring and the connection they seem to have developed toward the humans who saw them as gods during their time on Earth. Don't buy it? Well, why does caring to help an unrelated species in your native galaxy make more sense than doing so in another galaxy, particularly when you have crazy fast hyperdrive technology?

It's also worth noting that you do nothing to try to explain how they lacked intergalactic capabilities 30,000 years ago when they launched an interstellar ship in their galaxy, which then drifted through the void to the Milky Way:

HEIMDALL
    That is one of my ancestors. Thirty thousand years ago a ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, its crew placed in suspended animation. There was a failure on the navigational system and the ship was lost. Through the millennia it drifted across the empty expanse between our galaxies until it arrived here. We discovered it six months ago.

-Revelations
    Last edited by Xaeden; 31 May 2022, 01:18 AM.

Comment

In "Unnatural Selection" they describe Halla, which is in a different galaxy (presumably but not confirmed to be Ida) as their homeworld.

That doesn't answer other discrepancies, but it's not nothing.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Mw?

Comment

Originally posted by epg20 View Post
          Mw?
          Milky Way, epg20
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think a lot of this can just be handwaved away saying that the Destiny mission went through Ida early on, and then a lot of suppositions afterward follow naturally.

If that's the case, then the Asgard naturally developed technologically to be dependent on the Stargates since it was the only advanced technology around them when their civilization was 'growing up.' Somehow-or-another they came to the attention of the Ancients, who give them v2.0 of the Stargates (the MW model), so interstellar travel still isn't a necessity. Then 3-5 million years ago, the Ancients die out from the plague, leaving the Asgard without much to do in Milky Way. And so, based on what we've seen (or rather, what we've not seen), the Asgard virtually disappear from this galaxy.

It takes the Asgard till around 30,000 years ago to figure out how to travel intergalactic in ships, and even then they don't seem to do much here in our galaxy. The Goa'uld rise to dominance in this galaxy around 10,000-5000 years ago with minimal-to-no interference from the Asgard, who don't step up until much later on (at least in part due to their concurrent war with the Replicators).

It's not a perfect explanation, but it's not unreasonable either.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Technological regression is also entirely possible. It happened in Europe during the so called "dark ages". It's not beyond the scope of possibilities to somehow happen to advanced space faring civilizations. It happened to one or more Human planets in the SGverse if I remember correctly.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X