Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBS & Paramount Settle with Axanar Productions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBS & Paramount Settle with Axanar Productions!

http://www.axanarproductions.com/9707-2/

It could have been much, much, much worse!
    Lawsuit Settlement Announced!

Here’s the “official” statement from Axanar Productions regarding today’s settlement announcement:
    AXANAR PRODUCTIONS STATEMENT REGARDING COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT LAWSUIT SETTLEMENT
    Valencia, CA – Friday, January 20 – Axanar Productions is pleased to announce that we have reached a formal resolution to the lawsuit brought against Alec Peters, and the fan film production, AXANAR, by CBS Studios, Inc. and Paramount Pictures Corporation.
    Since the beginning of the lawsuit, over a year ago, we have expressed our desire to address the concerns of the studios, and our willingness to make necessary changes, as long as we could reasonably meet our commitments to AXANAR’S over 14,000 donors, fans and supporters. We are now able to do exactly that.
    Terms of the settlement agreement include an agreement to allow Axanar Productions to continue showing PRELUDE TO AXANAR commercial-free on YouTube and to allow Axanar Productions to produce the AXANAR feature film as two fifteen-minute segments that can be distributed on YouTube (also without ads).
    Additional terms of the agreement will be made available to cast, crew and donors through private correspondence.
    For the next sixty days, Axanar Productions will be working through some final legal requirements requiring immediate attention. In addition, there are several pre-production issues that need to be re-visited before we can begin principal photography on our project.
    Axanar Productions was created by lifelong Star Trek fans to celebrate their love for Star Trek. Alec Peters and the Axanar team look forward to continuing to share the Axanar story and are happy to work within the Guidelines for Fan Films for future projects.
    Throughout this process, we will continue communicating with our fans and backers to ensure they are informed and involved until we reach completion of the production.
    For those of you who are donors, you will be receiving an email with some “donor exclusive” information.
    Thanks again for your support this past year.
    Live Long and Prosper.
    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
    End of line.

Something scare paramount and CBS off from allowing this to go to trial, sadly everyone will probably be force to sign NDAs which will mean we will probably never find out what that something was or is.

Comment

Two 15-minute episodes doesn't even add up to your average New Voyages or Continues episode. Pretty far cry from the "feature film" they'd intended.

I'm irritated with Paramount/CBS being so irrationally heavy-handed towards all fan productions now, there's no call for that. However, I'm equally irritated with Alec Peters for ruining it for everyone else--what did he expect would happen when he raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for a project based on IP he doesn't own?!

Sad, all around. I don't think anybody won here, except the lawyers.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Two 15-minute episodes doesn't even add up to your average New Voyages or Continues episode. Pretty far cry from the "feature film" they'd intended.

I'm irritated with Paramount/CBS being so irrationally heavy-handed towards all fan productions now, there's no call for that. However, I'm equally irritated with Alec Peters for ruining it for everyone else--what did he expect would happen when he raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for a project based on IP he doesn't own?!

which is why sometimes I think Shakespeare had it right "kill all the lawyers" >.<

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

The lawyers always win. They write the laws. remember?

Comment

Well if Axanar is gonna go ahead in some way.....they may have to find someone else to play "Karn the Undying" as it would appear Richard Hatch has passed on

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...ctica-dies-71/

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              Well if Axanar is gonna go ahead in some way.....they may have to find someone else to play "Karn the Undying" as it would appear Richard Hatch has passed on

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...ctica-dies-71/
              Perhaps Dirk Benedict could portray 'Karn' in his honor.
              Total syffy posts: 36,690
              (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
              Matthew 5:9

Comment

Working...
              X