Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to the big budget movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever happened to the big budget movie?

G'day,

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Whatever happened to the rumours of a big budget movie?

They keep bringing this up every few years and nothing ever comes of it.
    *cracks his knuckles*

After the runaway success of the Daleks original appearance in Doctor Who in 1963/64, Terry Nation was ever so keen to cash in on their success, and licensed them to appear on all kind of merchandise, but most importantly to appear on the Big Screen, aka cinema.

The result was two bastardised versions of Nation's original 2 Dalek stories, "The Daleks" and "The Dalek Invasion of Earth", staring Peter Cushing. There was originally going to be a 3rd film - logically enough an adaptation of "The Chase", however due to lower ticket sales on the 2nd venture, the 3rd was abandoned.

All went quiet on the movie front for many years. At some point, probably circa 1974-75, Tom Baker and Ian Marter (aka Harry Sullivan) locked themselves away for a weekend to try and write a script for a movie, however it did not come to fruition.

Following the series original - err, second cancellation (1990), there was talk that Steven Spielberg was working on a movie version of the show, however this was effectively nothing more than Chinese-Whispers, based on the fact that a certain Philip Segal, who was working on Spielberg's SeaQuest series, was in talks with the BBC to bring Doctor Who back as a UK/US tv co-production - which eventually became the Paul McGann telemovie.

At this similar point in time, a cinematic movie was in fact on the cards by a company called Lumiere. They had planned a complete reboot of the story, intending to do several movies, however their contract with the BBC came to an end without result, and the rights were then taken up by Segal for his attempted tv series. Whilst the tv series fell through and instead became a telemovie, there was a vague hope it may yet be picked up as a series if it had rated well... unfortunately it went against Roseanne's finale... the rest is history.

So again the franchise lay low for many years, aside from magazines, novels, audios, fan websites... until 2003 when the series was renewed thanks to Russel T Davies, with the relaunch in 2005. And of course, because the show found instant wide appeal, and lots of cash for the BBC, the idea of a movie again started to circulate.

At some point I think in the late Tennant era, the producer/director/someone affiliated with Harry Plopper's movies was touted as being interested in getting their hands on the rights to do a movie, that would be a stand-alone (or rather, a new take) on the franchise. This idea however was, and has been vehemently fought by the tv series production team (ie Davies and/or Moffat, plus the producers), who do not feel that the universe is big enough for both a tv series, and a cinematic series - thus they fear that such a move would kill the series off.

(Indeed, it is highly unlikely that "Hollywood" would take on such a venture, unless the tv series was ended first.)

Probably therefore, in my opinion, the tv series camp set out to sabotage any cinematic movie entity by seeing Smith-era episodes shown in cinemas around the world, followed by DAY OF THE DOCTOR's cinematic outing, as well as numerous other events - Particular in the United States...! (Should see all the UK fans uproar when they see another cinema release of TV WHO only happening in America...)

So, at this point in time, I think it is more than safe to say that a "big budget movie", staring say - Johnny Depp - is totally off the cards for probably at least the next decade. If/when the series starts to decline (if it hasn't already), the BBC's best action would be to stop it before it becomes a joke, and attempt a cinematic reboot... (in this writer's hope that it would reignite a tv audience for the future.) Otherwise however, especially if TV episodes continue to see cinema release, I cannot see a BBM happening.

cheers

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

I don't think it really needs a big budget movie. Travelling from place to place, having all sorts of varying adventures is the show's trump card, which would be lost in a film adaptation(such as the Cushing series).
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

To my mind, a potentially once-off movie, that reboots the story, would have to tell a time travel story, probably including both earth and an alien world... Even taking the Rose approach and not drowning the audience in backstory, it's a big job..
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Working...
      X