Multiple gates on planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple gates on planet

Since no power is required on the destination gate to create a wormhole, how does the gate system determine which gate to connect to when a planet has multiple gates?

For example, there were actually 2 gates on earth. Why did every wormhole connect to the one in Cheyenne Mountain and not the arctic gate? I know there was one episode where Jack and Sam wound up coming through the arctic one .. does anyone remember why?

Originally posted by tlauts View Post
    Since no power is required on the destination gate to create a wormhole, how does the gate system determine which gate to connect to when a planet has multiple gates?

For example, there were actually 2 gates on earth. Why did every wormhole connect to the one in Cheyenne Mountain and not the arctic gate? I know there was one episode where Jack and Sam wound up coming through the arctic one .. does anyone remember why?
    There was a symbol on the Antarctic gate that wasn't on the one at SGC which Sam concluded to be the point of origin. Assuming that the Antarctic gate actually had a different POO then that would separate that one from the one in CO. That's all I got

Comment

Thanks - I am writing a new TV series and this is a sticking point on one of the episodes. I have been able to overcome a lot of inconsistencies with prior series, but this one is kicking my arse

I'll re-watch the arctic gate episode and look more at that angle.

Comment

It was also explained that one with an active DHD takes precidence..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          It was also explained that one with an active DHD takes precidence..
          That can't be necessarily true because if it was all the SGC returning to earth would've popped through the Antarctic gate instead of Cheyenne Mountain. Plus, what about all the years that Ra was on Earth and had his own DHD? 2 gates with 2 DHDs?

Comment

IIRC the episode explained it that since the Antartic gate used a different POO, it was not corellatively updated.. So when someone dialed into earth, it wasn't recognized, ergo thing went to the SGC. BUT that explosion (or what ever it was) just kicked the matter stream over to it.. Cause it was the closest gate to connect to.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              IIRC the episode explained it that since the Antartic gate used a different POO, it was not corellatively updated.. So when someone dialed into earth, it wasn't recognized, ergo thing went to the SGC. BUT that explosion (or what ever it was) just kicked the matter stream over to it.. Cause it was the closest gate to connect to.
              I'm pretty sure that the Antarctic WAS regularly updated. As seen in Rising Atlantis departed earth "several million years ago" and yet in "Before I Sleep" the ancients abandoned Atlantis in Pegasus to return to Earth only 10k years ago. That would've been impossible to do unless the gate's location was updated along with every other MW gate. Let's face it, you don't expect Earth to remain in the same location after that much time passed, do ya?

Comment

Also, Pegasus gates take precedence over Milky Way gates. McKay and Carter had to write special programs that would allow a Pegasus gate and a Milky Way gate to operate together on Midway Station while it was in operation.

And for the Atlantis series finale, the Pegasus gate onboard the hive ship prevented the gate at the SGC from working and I presume the gate on Atlantis took precedence over the SGC gate while the city was on Earth.
                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                  Also, Pegasus gates take precedence over Milky Way gates. McKay and Carter had to write special programs that would allow a Pegasus gate and a Milky Way gate to operate together on Midway Station while it was in operation.

And for the Atlantis series finale, the Pegasus gate onboard the hive ship prevented the gate at the SGC from working and I presume the gate on Atlantis took precedence over the SGC gate while the city was on Earth.
                  The problem with Midway and the Pegasus gate taking precedence over the MW gate was the Pegasus was "keyed" to that galaxy the same way that the MW gate was "keyed" to the MW. This is where McKay's macro overrode those protocols. The same way a Pegasus gate wouldn't work in the MW. Remember in EATG McKay had to reconfigure the DHD to dial a MW address. I'm guessing the only reason that when Atlantis dialed Earth and connecting to the one on the hive was because they were both Pegasus gates, even if Atlantis dialed Earth's address the hive gate would have precedence because it had a DHD. The same way that when Russia was in possession of the gate recovered at the bottom of the Pacific, they had the DHD that they recovered from the Germans in WWII.

Comment

Working...
                  X