Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a fan and user of the Unreal Engine, visual effects, and "Virtual Production" (the set of techniques used by ILM on The Mandalorian, and by many others), which I am also learning, I am convinced that adopting these techniques (even if on a slightly smaller scale than The Mandalorian) would be incredibly beneficial.

For one, it allows the producers to adopt modern and state-of-the-art technology to deliver great production value (arguably relatively "cheaper" and faster than traditional VFX production), and in turn breathe new life into the franchise, even when (if) the visual and narrative style remains the same.

As someone who is actively diving into Virtual Production in one way or another, having seen what it can do and how to achieve it, it would significantly speed of production. Things can be built live and iterated upon while filming the live actors, instead of after the fact. This also makes it easier for actors to work with CG elements as they can directly interact with its presence (not to mention things like lighting and reflections, with the absence of green-/bluescreens).

LED walls (even a simpler/cheaper setup than what ILM uses) can make set extensions easier (even making sets like the SGC or better yet Atlantis much more realistic and "lively") and add in background elements that the actors would look towards. But it can even work for in-camera VFX (like the CG Asgard as opposed to the limited animatronic, and more) and for full-scene CGI like space battles. The engine can't do fully realistic CGI yet, such as fluid effects (water, fire, explosions, etc.) but it would certainly look on-par with late-SG-1 and SGA (and since it's not a game, such pre-rendered effects can easily be integrated into the real-time scenes, with improving technology to make it possible in the engine itself, even if not "real-time").

Comment

I would be happy if they would build enough stargate props as a good start. One for indoor sets, one for the outdoor location and maybe a third for action sequences or the supposed led room. The stargate is the soul of the whole show, so it would be nice to have more scenes when they actively use it. So even if they could make set extensions with a led wall, I would like to see a real gate prop when they arrive. They must have realised the set piece is better than the CGI gate as they have quickly returned to this shooting method in the Universe as I believe not every gate sequence was convincing in the Atlantis. They had only some part of the gate as a prop, but not the whole portal. And since there were no stairs all the CGI gates are just standing out from the ground in an awkward way.

Back to the LED question. I doubt they could afford it, but maybe a similar technology could be used for set extensions. I still don't understand how the technology works. So if they would build a prop gate then they must shoot an arriving scene while they are surrounded by the led wall. Then while they walk away the set piece can be removed and they could walk around in the complete digital background? I am pretty sure they have to place some dunes or hills or objects on the floor or is that one also completly led generated? I mean otherwise how could they reach that effect that they really walk?
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Next Stargate Project Might Have Daniel Jackson In It: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/...HDjrfn6o8FMqXA.

Comment

Thanks, Raj_2006. I can't wait to hear more details. Most of the fans accepted his possible return with joy. MS could be the next RDA who keeps the franchise together. But I believe he will be only a guest star and not a series regular or leading role. A new spinoff needs new heroes, new enemies, new allies. I would like to see the "old" characters in suporting roles as most of them are 45-50-55. So I hope they settled down and now we will hear they got families. Daniel and Vala could have a 15-20 years old child if they move forward the time. He should be a teacher at the Stargate Academy or something like that. We will see.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I also hope they move time forward and make the veteran characters be only supporting roles and that it is officially established that they now have families. I don't know for the SGU guys, but it's certainly time for the SG-1 and SGA gang to be at least parents/future grandparents. And at this point, I'll be fine with any couple pairing. Just don't tease us anymore and actually establish if certain two characters are together or not.

I'm up for some new fresh faces as well. Also, some new events and other stuff.

Comment

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/starga...r-proposed-new

It would be nice to see her again in the fourth Stargate show.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/starga...r-proposed-new

It would be nice to see her again in the fourth Stargate show.
                Might want to look at AT's recent tweet on that subject:

In response to the overwhelming reaction to the non existent Stargate series, I have to say once again, there is no series that I know of. There has been interest for a number of years but there is no series. If there is, you’ll be the first to know. -- @amandatapping
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yep. I also saw that so basically we don't know if the new show happens at all. MGM is still waiting and waiting and even more waiting.... GW also shared the news so it looked promising.

Comment

New here. Been a fan from the beginning. It's time for more. I'm on by 6th or 7th pass through SGU now, probably been through SGA 15 times. My son now as well. Time for more material...lol

Comment

It looks like Amazon will buy MGM for 9 billion dollars :
                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57153680

Comment

What do you know -- MGM isn't the sole owner of the James Bond franchise... they have a 50/50 ownershop with another company called Eon.

Random sidenote...

Comment

Good to know, thank you, our Highest Lemming Goddess. I am curious whether there were licitations behind the closed doors as I heard the value of MGM and its library was around 5 billion dollars. So how did it become 9 billion? You know 4 billion is a huge amount of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            Good to know, thank you, our Highest Lemming Goddess. I am curious whether there were licitations behind the closed doors as I heard the value of MGM and its library was around 5 billion dollars. So how did it become 9 billion? You know 4 billion is a huge amount of difference.
                            Apparently MGM's worth around 13.4 billion dollar at the moment so Amazon is getting it cheap if they go with the 9 billion dollar.

Comment

my first post here in a long time. I recently seen the 1994 movie again and am thinking more about stargate again lately.

I think a proposed fourth Brad Wright SG series will end up like the third: cancelled early.

I honestly think we should reboot the IP. A new series simply named "STARGATE" that is a reboot of both the movie and SG1.

Its been 10 years since the untimely cancellation of SGU. Just when it got interesting.

the old continuity has become a mess. Earth has spaceships everywhere and has like conquered the galaxy while the gate program is still kept secret from the population.

also stargate is not as well known or beloved as star wars or star trek.

We should get back to basics. SG1 was at its best during the showtime era.

what made sg1 so good was modern day people travelling through the stargate the other planet resembling earth's past. With aliens pretending to be old gods.

We need to get back to this.

stargate movie + SG reimagined completely. without the flaws both the movie and sg1 had. in one continuity.

with reimagined I do not mean SG1 with new actors and better special effects. the spirit of stargate but not most of the characters.
                              old stargate became a mess and lots of it should be ignored in favour of new stuff.

Like for example: no carter, tealc, hammond, jaffa, apophis, replicators, asguard, ancients, ascended beings, ori.

Comment

As a fan, I'd prefer some continuity in a reboot. I could do with more Hammond, Carter, McKay, Shepard anyway, would like to see a return to Destiny as well and this time stop trying to kill them every episode. There's no reason you can't reboot everything right where it all left off plus a decade with a lot of younger cast for new adventures. With the new wormhole drive on Atlantis, they could send the city anywhere for a new story line. McKay and Mrs. Miller just have to discover how to produce ZPMs. This isn't like a superhero saga where you're telling the same story over and over. Don't reboot, continue and tie together.

Comment

Working...
                                X