This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skysmurf View Post
    If you haven’t seen it yet I highly recommend!
    That's not the problem -- whether it comes highly recommended or not.

I don't like shaky cam to start with so that could work against Universe, as I hear it's a lot of shaky cam in its first season.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

There is 2 ways to go. Either make a new series that starts all over from 0 or with new crew in a new galaxy that is tied into SG1 and Atlantis and is in same concept as these 2 were. As 1 episode 1 story and continues with larger story that last half a season or full season.

But then again i dont even want to get Stargate back. As what we have seen what have been done to Star Trek i dont think i want it to happen same with Stargate.

SGU style dont work, it works only for small amount of people and the other small amount of new people who have no idea about what is Stargate about.
      sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Star Trek is back and there's clearly a large audience interested enough that it warrants more shows being produced.

You might not like it, but that's tough luck cause more people do... You don't like, don't watch it (what happened to SGU in the end).

The formula works so get used to it. If Stargate comes back, it'll follow the formula which brings in the most money and the biggest audience, hence why Universe is the most unlikely choice to base a follow-up on.

Origins was very low budget and focused on one aspect. The general audience doesn't know about it, and the "hardcore" fans didn't like it and ignore it as much as they do Infinity.

Comment

If they bring Stargate back, I must say I agree with FH. The new show should incorporate what actually works and that's the SG-1 or SGA format of storytelling. Besides, it's much easier to explain what happened to Atlantis and the expedition after the events in the final episode AND what happened to the SG-1 guys after their last TV movie adventure. It's much less to cover and it provides material for more stories featuring a new team, lots of new characters and potentially a bigger storyline.

While I think SGU was AMAZING (and I rewatched it recently), it didn't get the chance to show the majority of its planned storyline, so incoporating it into a new spin-off would make the entire thing too cluttered. So if the next SG series comes along at anytime, it's better off pretending that SGU never even happened and just incorporate the SG-1/SGA stuff as a part of a new sotryline. That can easily be done by just shifting SGU into another universe/multiverse. That or come up with a universe/miltiverse where SGU never happened bacause there was no 9th chevron info in the Atlantis daatabase (that scene did get cut for time anyway).

There are a lot of options for Stargate to continue as a TV series. I'd be willing to watch it even if they go and decide to push the reset button. I'd be sad, of course, but it's not like we can choose whatever we want the production company to make. They'll make whatever makes money for them. And if it's the reset button, then so be it.

Comment

I also have to agree that SGU was great just it started a bit too slow and it was isolated from the other two shows. And it was a bit too dark in comparsion to the other two, but I have loved the plot twists.

What I would expect from a new SG show / mini-series :
            - new gate system : if we get a 4th series we need a 4th gate type too
            - exploration, adventure : gate related discoveries, historical eras, filling plotholes etc.
            - fan favorite themes : give us like Nox, Furling, Asgard, Giant aliens, Rheetou related stories
            - character moments : no more too cartoony or self-parody type of episodes, but also not too dark subjects and plots
            - character developements and plans : plan the main characters 2-3 seasons ahead, give them equal screentime in the season, no more supportive / background role for main characters (like Teyla, Ronon, Ford)
            - fan favorite characters : bring back who the fans are interested the most (even make polls or check forums etc.)
            - more cross-overs from all 3 SG shows : writers should not be afraid of more complex crossovers as viewers are intelligent and they will appreciate it
            - but a new show must have their own metaplot, own heroes and own enemies, so it must be able to stand on its own as cross-overs are just optional and extra
            - longer episodes : if they are on streaming service, you can make 50-60 minutes long episodes or more two-three parters or a series of tv films (like 3-6 two parters in season 1)
            - brainstorming story ideas / elements with fans : don't be shy to accept fresh ideas
            - build a supportive, high quality franchise around the new SG show : advertisment campaign, later quality merchandise items, finished games, novels to support it and gain new viewers etc.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              - fan favorite characters : bring back who the fans are interested the most (even make polls or check forums etc.)
              This is absolutely the worst idea show runners can do.
              Fans are literally the worst possible group of people to ask for "fan favorites". Never ever, do I want to see this, and I'm saying that as a fan of most characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                This is absolutely the worst idea show runners can do.
                Fans are literally the worst possible group of people to ask for "fan favorites". Never ever, do I want to see this, and I'm saying that as a fan of most characters.
                Also fair to say that while that can be great for fans it's rarely good for casual viewers since the characters clear have all this backstory and history that new or casual viewers know nothing about.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Okay, I didn't say that the fans should write the new shows. It was already awful when they kick out an actor / actress then they had to bring him/her back because of viewer demands. Death should be permanent. They can still bring in any AU version.

Or if they contract them to make episodes then they should really use those characters I don't want to open old wounds, but I am guessing you still remember the 1-2 sentence long cameo of Weir and Beckett in Atlantis season 4. Brrr. It is simply bad writing and derogative for the actors, sorry.

I am sure they could find the right balance between old and new, character development and lore episode, action packed and bottle episodes.

I really would like to see a few SG tv movies (come on Netflix!) which could be enjoyed by new viewers as well. There is always a market for quality scifi entertainment.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Also fair to say that while that can be great for fans it's rarely good for casual viewers since the characters clear have all this backstory and history that new or casual viewers know nothing about.
                    That's why when I wanted to continue SGU - as fanfic - I did a soft reboot. The plan was to continue the story, but in such a way that they new and casual readers/viewers got invested in the NEW characters. Yeah, they have this goal to rescue the old characters, but it's THEIR story. The old guard is just a MacGuffin.

(You don't have to know the details, you have just have to know that 'there a bunch people stranded somewhere' and our heroes are going on a mission to safe them. The details will of who they are going to rescue will trickle out as the story goes along.)
                    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      Okay, I didn't say that the fans should write the new shows. It was already awful when they kick out an actor / actress then they had to bring him/her back because of viewer demands. Death should be permanent.
                      Are you referring to Beckett?
                      Because they never intended for him to be gone forever. They just like the fans to think that.

If they bring back old characters they will only overshadow a new cast -- just look at how unbalanced Stargate Atlantis was during its run. Imagine they brought their favorite McKay back for something new. How long do you think it would be before he was headlining the whole story to the detriment of the new folks?

Comment

SGA was unbalanced straight from the start. They set up a wide range of great characters which could've lead to new plotlines, storylines and Atlantis/Ancients mythology/history. Instead, they threated their characters like crap - with the Athosians being the first on the list. Followed by Ford, then Beckett and then, Wier. Even Carter was toned down due to McKay being there. If Amanda Tapping wouldn't have to go to do her own show, they would have toned Sam even more in the final season. I recently re-watched SGA too and even Ronnon doesn't get much focus episodes except the whole wired Ronnon/Keller/McKay love comeptition or any bigger storylines which would have provided the show with more interesting stuff than what we ended up getting.

McKay was in SGU in one episode and they even briefly explored the idea of him going to Destiny and joining the crew. Sorry to say this, but I really think that they were going to write someone off and bring him in their place. I can even imagine a scene where McKay is phisically on Destiny and the Atlantis guys join him via communication stones and he ends up saying: "Yeah, but I'm only only one who's actually here!". Or perhaps him using the stones to get to Atlantis and the others teasing him that he's not even there.

Platschu might be right on this one - the writers were slowly getting there, that's as clear as a day. McKay was, after all, their "cow milking" character on Atlantis. We know more about him than we know about any of the other SGA characters. Remember the AU McKay coming into our universe where his sister had KIDS - not A KID, but KIDS. That's plural.

Comment

Atlantis was clearly a Sheppard-McKay show. The whole Atlantis was started way too quickly. If you remember they wanted to start it after season 6 of SG-1. So I am guessing the Systemlords would have died at Abydos, Goa'uld is no more, then Atlantis would have been found on Earth. Then season 7 has come, then they played the same again. Goa'uld are hunt down by kull warriors. Then they were not expecting season 8 at all. So finally once and for all the Goa'uld were hunt down by Replicators. Poor little false gods.

So when Atlantis has gone into production they couldn't cope to run both of the shows as they were rushing with everything. If I remember well Rachel Luttrell were cast only 2-3 weeks before production. The Amaterasu lady was the second candidate as far as I know, so that is the reason she had a role on SG-1. But anyway Teyla was hardly visible on the whole show. She has hardly had any Teyla centric episodes in season 2 or 3. She should have been a Wraith Queen for much longer even if the make-up process must have been tiring for her. But even her character had a random boyfriend who has become partner and the father of her child. This was also not introduced deeply enough, but at least she had a little more focus in season 4-5.

Weir was the only one who was properly introduced on SG-1, but then my favorite Jessica Steen (from Earth2) has gone, so they had to re-introduce her character with Torri Higginson in SG-1 8x01-8x02. Then they have written her out because AT had a contract for season 11. Then they have also wasted one of her 4 episodes just for one scene in season 4.

Ford was the most underdeveloped character who has hardly had any character profile next to be "funny, loyal and enthusiastic". Is that it? I would have accepted his Wraith drug addict story arc, if he could have returned in season 3-5, but no, nothing except a little cameo. I know that he is technically alive according to the Atlantis novels.

So who has left? Beckett. Cloning. Meh. They have thrown away a main character for dramatic reasons then they have brought him back for 2 episodes in season 4, where he had a short scene in one of them. This is bad and unlogical writing. His whole behaviour was also a bit disappointing in season 5. Almost like RDA in season 9.

Ronon: he had only 1-2 Ronon centric episodes in season 2-5, but he was just the good looking, strong guy. While Jason Momoa has showed his acting skills in Sateda. So why could they not write such powerful scenes for him or Teyla and the others?

I wish Todd would be a team member or something as he has brought a new life into the Atlantis show whle it could offer a unique point of view on the Wraith. And he almost had more character focus or screen time than Ronon or Teyla together.

Anyway don't misunderstand my words. I love this franchise and all 3 shows, but the writing and the acting could have been much better. Sometimes it has felt a parody of itself, which could ruin those moments which were meant to be dramatic. Even the writers wanted a bit darker and more serious acting on Stargate : Universe, but then they should have adapted the Atlantis season 5 as well to that direction. And season 6 should have runned together with Universe S1, but anyway it doesn't matter now.

I hope if we ever get any future SG projects then they can balance out the tone much better. Universe was a bit too dark and emotional, Atlantis and SG-1 was a bit too comical. And even the tone of episodes had a big contrast. And sometimes I have felt they have wasted episodes on such standalones which episode slot could have been used for bigger, metaplot centric episodes.
                          Last edited by Platschu; 10 February 2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                            McKay was, after all, their "cow milking" character on Atlantis.
                            Great! Now I have an image of a cow called McKay in my head... thanks for that. Just what I needed...

Comment

There was a topic on GW from where I have saved these posts which are still fitting to the SG fandom.

WHAT THE PTB MUST DO TO SATISFY ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY ON EVERY EPISODE:

1. Don’t ever refer back to events that happened in prior episodes, ‘cause then you’re just ‘recycling plots’ – but make sure you mention things that have happened before, for continuity.

2. Make sure there’s lots of interaction between the characters in every episode – but there has to be lots of action in every episode or it’s boring.

3. The characters have to grow and develop all the time – but they can’t do anything too new because that’s not consistent with how they were before.

4. Every CGI pic has to be perfect – but don’t use all the budget on CGI because then the show has nothing left for story.

5. Don’t let Sam Carter talk about thing that happened to her before she came to Atlantis, ‘cause that’s just pulling SG-1 into SGA – but make sure she mentions any prior events that connect, because she’s ignoring the past if she doesn’t.

6. Every space battle must be huge and full of action – but it can’t take too long or it gets old.

7. Every story must be connected to the ‘season arc’ – but we can’t have any story not started and finished in the same episode, since unanswered questions are too annoying, and 2 or 3 parters are slow.

8. You must mention lost characters at every opportunity, to prove that you remember them – but you can’t talk about them all the time, because then you’re not moving on.

9. The main characters must have more to do in each episode, ‘cause they’re the reason we watch – but the supporting characters must never be set aside just because they don’t fit in the plot for this episode; they have to be shown always.

10. Related to the above, each character must have priority in at least one episode per season – but you must not EVER skip having lots of the other characters in EVERY episode.

11. New characters mustn’t do anything differently from the characters they’ve replaced, because the original characters were perfect for their places – but they mustn’t be carbon copies, or there was no need to change characters in the first place.

12. Don’t ever use any idea (or even a part of an idea) that’s ever been done before (whether in SG-1 or any other show EVER) because that’s ripping off old plots – but any idea that’s completely new has no precedent, therefore doesn’t fit in to canon.

13. The characters must be completely close to each other, like a family, and willing to do anything to back each other up – but there must be constant conflict between them, because without internal conflict there’s no drama. External conflict doesn’t count.

14. Every tiny bit of information must be brought out in dialogue or scenes; never leave anything to the imagination of the watcher, even if it makes every episode 3 hours long, because that’s copping out and leaving plot holes – but you must not beat us to death with nitpicky data and details of information, because we’re not idiots.

15. Don't do anything controversial, since someone is going to be bothered by it - but you must be edgy and dark, because this is SGA!

16. And last but not least, John Sheppard must take an ‘oath of celibacy’ a la Lt Ilia of the Deltans in Star Trek: the Motion Picture, since it’s completely obvious that all he has to do is be in the same scene with a woman and he’s thinking about nothing but sex – in spite of the fact that by his own words he ‘never sees this coming’.

Additional points made, and those who made them:

17. Kill off the characters fans wail and scream about in dislike - but then bring them back to life to satisfy the fans who wail and scream when their favorite characters are bumped off for the sake of ratings (prion)

18. On the opposite side, kill off popular characters to ensure a real sense of danger - but make sure you bring the characters back to ensure the show is science-fiction and therefore no one ever really dies.(jackie)

19. Reset buttons are bad, don't ever use them; unless you want to bring back a dead character that fans loved, then it doesn't matter even if you pull a Dallas. (pg15)

20. Characters should have long term romantic relationships because it's unrealistic if they don't – but if they do have long term romantic relationships, though, it's turning the show into a soap opera and sci-fi isn't meant to be a soap opera.(ciannwn)

21. We need more technology like ZPM's and ships – but not so much that we become too advanced.(jelgate)

22. Make sure the stargate appears in almost every ep – but also make sure we use the ships most of the time.(jackie)

23. These people are the best of the best; that's why they were chosen for this mission. Thus, they should be perfect at what they do and never make stupid mistakes. But, don't make them too perfect, or else they'll be Mary Sues/Gary Stus. (pg15)

24. Stop bringing in hot babes as guest stars; they're just there to appeal to the young male audience. However, don't ever stop bringing in buff guy guest stars, because...they're good actors, or something. (pg15)

25. Related to above: stop putting our female main characters in tight and/or revealing clothes, because that's fanservice for the young males. But, make sure to show all the hot guys' chests and/or have them be barefoot, because that's totally adding to the story. (pg15)

26. Utilize Google so you don’t put glaring errors on the show – but you can't limit yourself to current science levels, because that negates all the alien advances. (prion/raven56)

27. Related to above: Make sure to stick to established science and never assume that the piece of alien technology being handled can do things our limited knowledge can't comprehend, because it's SCIENCE fiction. On the other hand, be imaginative and think up new technologies that can do cool things, because this is science FICTION. (pg15)

28. Make sure to spend as many episodes exploring the city as possible, as it's Stargate ATLANTIS. But, make sure to go offworld and explore new worlds as much as possible, since it's called STARGATE Atlantis. (pg15/Raven56)

Comment

Good points there. They have officially done what's NOT up there.

Also, good point on SGA being a Shep/McKay show. SGA could not have gotten a better description!

Comment

Working...
                                X