Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A continuation of SGU is better, because the actors are all younger, and it's possible to do plausible deniability (aka sci-fi magic) to explain why they are older now, and to continue right where they left off. In the meantime, Ming-Na has gained status as a major Asian-American actor (through "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"), which would make SGU a more interesting property overseas.

Continuing SGA is iffy, because Jason Momoa is now a huge star, and would command a huger paycheck, which I doubt MGM has the $ for, if an SGA continuation were ever greenlit. Besides, Momoa is busy with two Aquaman sequels, and has been signed on for four in total (with one out already), so that's a scheduling conflict right there.

All of the SG-1 actors are old now. Richard Dean Anderson is 69, Christopher Judge is 54, Amanda Tapping is 53 (still looks good), and Michael Shanks is 48 (and fitter than ever), Ben Browder is 56 and handsome, Claudia Black is 46 and awesome.

SGA: slightly younger, but few are substantially younger than 50. Joe Flanigan (still cute) and David Nykl (Zelenka) are 52, Rachel Luttrell is 48, David Hewlett is 51, Paul McGillion is 50; Torri Higginson is probably of a certain age, as there is no birth year on Wikipedia; Rainbow Sun Francks is 39, Jewel Staite is 36.

SGA appealed to the teen demographic by having teen guest actors do the wunderkind trope by playing "super-important" roles in some episodes. But also by being very formulaic and cheesy, like SG-1.

To compare:
    SGU: Robert Carlyle is 58, Lou Diamond Phillips is 57, Louis Ferreira is 53, Ming-Na is 55, Peter Kelamis 51, Mike Dopud is 50 (and awesome). Ten years ago, they were 40+.

Yet:
    Brian J. Smith and David Blue are both 37, Elyse Levesque is 33, Alaina Huffman and Julia Benson are both 39, Julie McNiven is 38, Jamil Walker Smith is 36, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman is 34, Jennifer Spence and Patrick Gilmore are both 42, Haig Sutherland is 35/36, though I thought he was older. While his character was killed off, then given the nature of sci-fi, he could in theory be brought back from the dead.

The average age of the SGU cast is much younger than that of SGA and SG-1. Interestingly enough, the main SGU cast was never meant to be too young, with Elyse as one of the youngest at 24/25 in 2009.

Many SGU actors have become more accomplished by now, but none seems to have become too expensive either.

I'd love a continuation of SGU with occasional guest appearances from SG-1/SGA, such as Ben Browder, Claudia Black, Amanda Tapping (awesome in the SGU pilot), Michael Shanks, Joe Flanigan, David Nykl, and Paul McGillion, for example.

In a possible future SGU storyline and series, the showrunners do have an imperative to cast younger adults so as to appeal to the younger demographic. So, I think Destiny would be likely to meet some of the humans borne from the Twin Destinies divergence. Or, that we'd see what happened to Lt. Scott's son.

Beyond that, we never got to explore the Earth-bound families of the crew.
    Last edited by Mardus; 13 May 2019, 11:49 PM. Reason: +fam
    • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
    • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
    • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Just say you want more SGU.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I want more SGU.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
          I want more SGU.
          I also want more SGU
          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I want more SGU, of course
            • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
            • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
            • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Universe certainly deserves a proper ending, but it was also the reason Stargate was never seen again until Origins last year, and after that even more deadly silence.

What makes people think the viewers are still waiting, or waiting for a show like Universe? They weren't there back then, and they are probably not going to be there now either, especially with the lack of anything proper stargate (Origins doesn't remotely qualify no matter how much I liked it) for the past decade.

New viewers won't show up for a show that has 2 seasons previous and an established story... That would mean a reboot, and nobody likes that either.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That is quite a simplistic rationale FH. Their were more factors than just the quality of SGU. I will concede that the general public wont care about finishing SGU after all this time
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  That is quite a simplistic rationale FH. Their were more factors than just the quality of SGU. I will concede that the general public wont care about finishing SGU after all this time
                  I'm not talking about the quality... when I said "a show like SGU" I meant the premise of it, the subject, the story, the characters... not about its quality. Purely objectively speaking, it didn't pull in the numbers then, so why would it do so now? 8 years later?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Universe certainly deserves a proper ending, but it was also the reason Stargate was never seen again until Origins last year, and after that even more deadly silence.
                    I disagree but we all have our theories. I think it's an amalgam of factors, the corps underwent restructuring and internal squabbles are to blame imo. SGU didn't do that bad on ratings, it was a risk sure considering just like any other TV series the ''die hard'' fans NEVER react well to change. Just look at Star Trek Discovery and its haters from the fanbase.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

TBH, I never truly hated it. I disliked it, sure, because it was missing elements I felt were part of what made Stargate so amazing. But I never outright hated it, compared to Infinity, and to a slightly lesser extent, Origins. I would want to see it get at least a proper ending, if not a full season, or a proper revival.

What I didn't like was the tone, the "handheld" cinematography, some of the characterization, and most of the first season episodes. This may seem like a lot, but overall, I loved the Destiny and the overarching plot. I haven't seen season 2 (yet), due to it not being available and I am hesitant to just buy the DVDs (I did buy season 1), and because, frankly, I'm waiting for a full Blu-ray release of the entire franchise.

Comment

In any case Nick, you should definitely watch Season 2 of SGU. Many consider S02 as the moment the show got its grip and really it's much better than S01.
                        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          In any case Nick, you should definitely watch Season 2 of SGU. Many consider S02 as the moment the show got its grip and really it's much better than S01.
                          I know, and I want to. But as I said, I can't because it's not available. You know, the six countries thing... So the only way to do so legally is to buy the DVDs, which I don't want to do right now because I want to have seen it first.

Comment

The Sci Fi channel aired SGU for a good bit by itself against heavy competition in the fall. At one point they gave it old episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation as a lead-in. At another point they paired it with the always poorly rated Caprica. At yet another they decided to move wrestling to Friday nights and switch SGU to another night while letting Sanctuary air after wrestling at 10 PM. This strong lead-in gave Sanctuary a boost, allowing it to garner higher ratings than SGU at the time. When they moved Sanctuary to Mondays with SGU, it tanked in the ratings: https://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/...tuary-suffers/ (it went from scoring a 1.4 on Fridays to a less than 0.9 on Mondays).

Executives at the time couldn't program their way out of a paper bag and kept trying the same thing over and over again with their top properties. Every time it failed and yet they were incapable of learning. They had a great programming block on Friday nights during the low competition summer months consisting of Sg-1, Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. Not only did these three shows make it an event night that encouraged people to watch live, but it combined different types of sci-fi. People who liked dark dramas like BSG would click over early and watch Stargate when they otherwise might not have and people who liked the lighter action adventure fare Stargate offered would stay up late and watch BSG. People from both camps would regularly complain about the show(s) they didn't like, but they were tuning in week after week.

Then the channel got this bright idea to have year round original programming. The problem was that they didn't have enough original content to create well thought out programming blocks throughout the year, so they split up their top three winning properties and immediately they started falling in the ratings. BSG was moved by itself to the fall months and it massively tanked, leading to its cancellation. Sg-1 and Atlantis remained in the summer and while they were doing better than BSG, they were hurt by the loss of those BSG and event night viewers, which led to Sg-1's cancellation. As the younger and less expensive show, Atlantis was allowed to remain, but then it too was moved into that fall slot by itself, which led to its cancellation.

Despite twice seeing that the solo fall Friday night idea was poison, they decided to do it to SGU and then messed with it in every which way save moving it back to the summer and trying to create a strong programming block around it. SGU should have debuted in the summer with a 6th season of Atlantis and they should found a strong third show to round out the night. For the fall they should have stuck to reality TV programming, which had a better chance at succeeding against heavier competition because those types of shows are not as expensive to produce.

I'm not saying that SGU would have clicked massively with audiences if they done that. I'm just saying that we can confidently say that the reason its ratings were as low as they were was because of mismanagement on the part of the Sci Fi channel because two previous hits of theirs tanked to similar numbers under similar conditions. So its ratings are not a good indicator of viewer interest because they're skewed by executive stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                              I know, and I want to. But as I said, I can't because it's not available. You know, the six countries thing... So the only way to do so legally is to buy the DVDs, which I don't want to do right now because I want to have seen it first.
                              I haven't seen it either, but I bought them anyway. It was a good deal too, season 1 and 2 for the price of 1. I wasn't gonna pass that one. Same with Atlantis season 4 and 5 -- for the price one, otherwise would never have bought them at all (these 2 seasons of SGA, not SGU).

Comment

Season 2 was where SGU really shines. If you haven’t seen it yet I highly recommend!

Comment

Working...
                                X