This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raj_2006 View Post
    Could get Joe Flanigan and other actors to invest.
    Flanigan said he reached out to a group of investors and convinced them to put up money to lease the franchise pending MGM's approval. Neither he nor any of the other actors have the capital to invest their own money in a show that is likely to cost upwards of 100 million per season. Flanigan's reported net worth doesn't even equal what a single episode would cost these days.

Comment

To add to Xaeden's reply: Even if Flanigan managed to lease the franchise back then, I doubt that some of the cast members (especially from SGA) would want more of the direction that Brad Wright/Roobert Cooper/Joseph Malozzi/Martin Gero have envisioned for the series. So Joe Flanigan would have to go all out and change the direction or influence it to the point that it would be acceptable to get certain people back and to get the writing team to tell the stories that weren't told for XYZ reason or because at least 1 of the 4 "doesn''t feel like it would work".

That is the case now as well... Whoever gets a change (or another chance) at the TV franchise, the direction of the series would need to be modified to fit the financing, whatever that's going to be when (or/and IF) SG gets back. And that means no more going overbudget for certain episodes like in the past. Even if only 2 of the 4 get to have another go with Stargate... This time around - if things do happen - certain amount of finances per season = no going overbudget = less of the coolness factor and if no more money = game over.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
        To add to Xaeden's reply: Even if Flanigan managed to lease the franchise back then, I doubt that some of the cast members (especially from SGA) would want more of the direction that Brad Wright/Roobert Cooper/Joseph Malozzi/Martin Gero have envisioned for the series. So Joe Flanigan would have to go all out and change the direction or influence it to the point that it would be acceptable to get certain people back and to get the writing team to tell the stories that weren't told for XYZ reason or because at least 1 of the 4 "doesn''t feel like it would work".

That is the case now as well... Whoever gets a change (or another chance) at the TV franchise, the direction of the series would need to be modified to fit the financing, whatever that's going to be when (or/and IF) SG gets back. And that means no more going overbudget for certain episodes like in the past. Even if only 2 of the 4 get to have another go with Stargate... This time around - if things do happen - certain amount of finances per season = no going overbudget = less of the coolness factor and if no more money = game over.
        Well we do not know that so it is just speculation at this point. Sure, some actors do want changes to their character/s they actor. Remember SG-1 started out as a budgeted sci-fi series and they did great. So, it is not impossible for that to happen again. People prefer good stories over appearance. Truth is you need to find a balance between the two. I just wish they would try, at least we would know they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Raj_2006 View Post
          Remember SG-1 started out as a budgeted sci-fi series and they did great. So, it is not impossible for that to happen again. People prefer good stories over appearance.
          Babylon 5 was a budget sci fi show with an average episode cost of $800 thousand. In 1997, Stargate cost 1.3 million, which put them just under shows from the same period like X-files ($1.5 million per episode), Star Trek ($1.6 per episode for DS9) and the massively expensive "Space: Above and Beyond" ($2 million per episode). I can't think of a single 1990s sci fi TV show was wasn't Star Trek or a network darling/gamble that cost much more than Stargate did.

Comment

Could we organise a Stargate reunion on Zoom? It would be fun to see the actors of SG-1, Atlantis or Universe to do a little group non-scripted chit-chat for charity or something. Or the creators could talk about Stargate. Other tv shows have organised such events, so maybe this one could be a way to express our love and care for Stargate. Maybe somebody should ask Joseph Mallozzi or Brad Wright.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

They did a script reading last year with stargate atlantis cast members, remember... Stargate Command was gonna put that online or some such. Then it disappeared and nobody knows what happened to that footage.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It probably never existed
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

If they were smart enough, they made their own recording of it. Unless they relied on "The Powers That Be" to record the footage and save it somewhere, which would be really stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Probably...

Comment

"They are working in it..."

edit.

I was planning to write "They are working on it..." ... but in or on doesn't matter.
                      Last edited by Platschu; 13 July 2020, 01:48 AM.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                        "They are working in it..."
                        OH.... you didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          Could we organise a Stargate reunion on Zoom? It would be fun to see the actors of SG-1, Atlantis or Universe to do a little group non-scripted chit-chat for charity or something. Or the creators could talk about Stargate. Other tv shows have organised such events, so maybe this one could be a way to express our love and care for Stargate. Maybe somebody should ask Joseph Mallozzi or Brad Wright.
                          I think this would be a good idea especially if it was recorded and put on YouTube after it was done and if this were to happen then there should be one for each series. Also it would be nice if questions were collected, maybe on JM Blog or somewhere.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Thanks. I have heard some other tv shows and film actors and staff members had such reunion. Some of them have read some old scripts like a table reading together then the income was offered as charity.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Or the quality was so bad that you couldn't tell Joe Flanigan from a Yeti.
                              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                                The thing is that these days they kinda do. More than ever. Discovery is on CBS All Access (Or Netflix if you aren't in the states.) The Mandalorian is on Disney Plus. Picard and The Expanse are on Amazon Prime.
                                Ooh, I see an opening for Apple TV.
                                • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                                • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                                • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Working...
                                X