• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    He said scifi not fantasy
    Doctor Who is science fiction.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
    By the way, no offense is intended toward any Doctor Who fans. It just isn't for me. To each their own.
    No worries -- first time I watched the revival with 9, I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen on TV -- -- like the kind that I was thinking "What have I just wasted 42 minutes of my life on?!?"... and then I got the tail end of one of the very first episodes with 1, Planet of the Daleks (I think), and went back to it, but re-started with 10 instead. I have seen every episode, except Waters On Mars (10 special -- I just forgot), and 12's series without Clara (he wasn't my thing at all).
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry but No to reboots!

New continuation
      Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

My enthusiasm goes up and down about Stargate. The little fan spark is always there that it will have a glorious return to the television. But then I can see how a complete attacks have started for viewers when more and more Star Trek, Marvel and Star Wars shows are announced. I have always known that our little franchise can be only the third in spite of 17 seasons next to ST or SW, but I am simply tired of waiting of decision of the MGM. They are wasting this potential then they are surprised that the fans, the passengers are on other hype trains while they just look back to Stargate which doesn't move to any direction. Probably the magic of 5 chevron hint has just gone now as 3-4 months have passed. I am sorry if I sound too harsh and realistic, just I hope you understand my frustration. I am happy that other scifi franchises are not just simply flying high, rather just rapidly expanding, but it makes me sad that our beloved Stargate realm doesn't get the same treatment.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Disney announcing, exclusive on not withstanding, a dozen Star Wars series in the making or in planning stages shows MGM is lacking in daring to move on anything. Disney announces their plans, and MGM keeps quiet -- guess which one of these is actually serious enough about using their intellectual property to move forward and gain subscribers (not me)... It's business, baby, and Disney is raking it in.

Comment

If MGM is beng lazy, it obvious that they're not sure in Stargate's success and we, its audience, are. So the conclusion is: it's time MGM gates out and lets someone else dial the 7th chevron.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
              If MGM is beng lazy, it obvious that they're not sure in Stargate's success and we, its audience, are. So the conclusion is: it's time MGM gates out and lets someone else dial the 7th chevron.
              They should have done that a long time ago, but they're just sitting on it -- just in case it might be worth their "sitting" on a later date.

However, newsflash... TV isn't like vintage or antique... it doesn't get more worth after years of collecting dust in an archive somewhere.

Comment

Whether MGM produces a new show or not, the syndication rights to Stargate continue to be a major source of revenue for them, and as long as that continues to be the case, it does not make good business sense for them to sell the rights to the franchise. To consider taking a large cash payout for a single property, they'd have to be facing another bankruptcy. While their business continues to trudge along, Stargate will be most valuable to them as a steady stream of yearly revenue or as part of a potential package deal should they decide to sell their entire business, as was rumored before COVID hit.

If MGM were a larger studio with the capital to launch a competitive streaming platform and invest billions to launch a series of big budget programs, there would undoubtedly be more Stargate right now because it's their second most recognizable property after James Bond. Instead they need to find outside sources who are willing to help co-finance their higher end projects, making it far more complicated to get a new Stargate greenlit than a new Star Wars show.

Comment

I have a feeling that some fans would be disappointed anyway. Simply they can't please everyone as so many of potential continuations were imagined already. Action, comedy, adventure, high tech scfi, mythology, character orientated, episodic etc? There are so many wishes. Just I believe the Stargate brand could prove itself in time in spite of the first controversial reviews and who knows what if it can make way for more seasons and other spinoffs like Discovery has done it for the Star Trek franchise.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Whether MGM produces a new show or not, the syndication rights to Stargate continue to be a major source of revenue for them, and as long as that continues to be the case, it does not make good business sense for them to sell the rights to the franchise.
                    I, and many others, are literally in a Stargate dead-zone (it's like an internet dead-zone) so good luck selling that point as "lucrative".

Comment

Um... My point is simply that MGM is disinclined to sell the rights to the Stargate franchise because they continue to make money off the syndication rights. I'm not "selling" this as a reason why anyone should be happy with the status quo.

It was a neutral statement, so I'm unsure why you took it as a personal attack of sorts. CBS still makes tens of millions annually by syndicating "I Love Lucy." Libraries of old TV shows and movies are a major source of profit for studios, and while a cash sale of an individual property would give them upfront money, this would weaken their quarterly earnings, which is important for bringing in investor money. It would also mean giving up long-term revenue that could help them down the road, and it would mean reducing what they'd be valued at if/when they ever try to sell the whole enchilada.

By all means, feel free to state that you don't care about MGM's reasons for holding on to the franchise and elaborate on how you think it would benefit you if Stargate were in different hands. I wouldn't argue with you about that as I certainly agree that we'd more likely to have more Stargate right now if it were in different hands. Of course, I don't think that's because MGM is sitting on it, but rather because they're a smaller studio with limited resources and a post-bankruptcy mandate (from the current owners) to be fiscally conservative that makes financing big budget projects on their own difficult.

Comment

Um... My point is simply that MGM is disinclined to sell the rights to the Stargate franchise because they continue to make money off the syndication rights. I'm not "selling" this as a reason why anyone should be happy with the status quo.
                        Understood as a neutral statement. I know syndication is what brings in the money but it's a hard sell when you're in a dead zone -- with no stargate anywhere, not even on the streaming services.

It's all good when you're in the US of A, but once you set one foot outside of those borders (in a manner of speaking)... Stargate is pretty much non-existent.

I know -- international audience isn't important to the bigwigs of MGM -- their focus is the American market.

So, we're literally double screwed.

*** Edit

And when they finally decide what to do with MGM's library and Stargate, it'll probably go onto a streaming service with -- yet again -- limited availability because they literally haven't learned a thing from the big PIRATE years (thought those were finally and firmly behind us but no, we were so wrong) -- then Stargate will still be dead for most of us.

Comment

Piracy is what is killing all good shows out there. Not just in America, but everywhere else too.

For example, I used to have all kinds of TV shows on an external hard drive, including a huge music collection of discographies from a lot of different artists whose music belongs to a veriety of different music cateogires. That hard drive has since died, but my point here is, that torrent basically gets you just about everythng you're after without you needing to pay anything to anyone.

The same thing happened with Stargate. The internet expansion was taking place quickly in the early 2000s, when SG-1 and Antlantis were both on air and when one of them was a brand new show. When Universe came along, the auidience was basically already used to getting their TV-show-fix via illegal means. It's what pushed Stargate into a deep hole from where it doesn't seem able to get out and it's what also killed the DVD market, which many of the TV shows being made at the time had relied on, including Stargate. Now it may be even harder for MGM to push anything related to SG forward since the rules of the TV industry have now changed.

So even if BW has good intentions (and I believe he does), it's not entirely up to him to make more SG for us and for newer audiences. He did mention something about waiting for the right moment. That means that cicrumstances under which the show is brought back have to be right as well. Which, nowdays, is anything but easy pickings. I doubt even MGM has an idea for when to give the green light.
                          Last edited by Mnikolic; 22 December 2020, 03:51 AM.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2020/...selling-block/

BW Companion interview parts :
                            https://youtu.be/gFGgwTIO9ig

So nothing new. MGM needs to be sold asap then we will see if there is any future for Stargate.

Comment

That might not be enough. It would be more than welcome to have a few people around who know Stargate, what it represents, recognize its true potential and actually have the will to do anything with it and about it. I don't think money is the only issue here - because obviousely, MGM did have the money, they just chose not to invest it in new serious SG shows.

Comment

What Stargate Needs From the Mandalorian: Brad Wright has VFX Envy

https://youtu.be/tegjLSBMn3g

It would be cool to use this new technology as we could finally leave behind the usual Canadian forests. Just I would like to see wild new trees, giant chrystals, floating bushes, weird roc formations, gas filled mosses, agressive cactuses, underwater corall worlds, fluorescenting mushrooms etc. So they could create a photorealistic environment with Unreal 5 or any other engines. Just the new stargate prop must be built as that is essential.

Comment

Working...
                                X