View Poll Results: How do you want Stargate to return? (Please comment after voting)

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU

    9 14.52%
  • Continuation of SG-1

    4 6.45%
  • Continuation of SGA

    8 12.90%
  • Continuation of SGU

    7 11.29%
  • As a NEW Continuation series

    17 27.42%
  • Continuation TV series of SG-1,SGA and SGU AND a new Continuation Series

    8 12.90%
  • Reboot the Series

    4 6.45%
  • Reboot Movie

    0 0%
  • Reboot Movies

    1 1.61%
  • Continuation in Movies (Please comment & say which one!)

    2 3.23%
  • Cinema Movies

    1 1.61%
  • Television Movies (Eg AoT)

    0 0%
  • Other (please comment)

    1 1.61%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
Results 161 to 179 of 179
  1. #161
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Most (all?) of what MGM does these days is co-financed, and that's certainly always been the case with Stargate. Back in the day SCI FI footed the majority of the show's production budget. So it was easy enough for MGM to go along with what TPTB and the network wanted to do.

    The direct-to-DVD movies were much more complicated to finance, because they required a bigger relative investment up-front from MGM. They had to gamble that they would make back their money (and then some), which largely just wasn't the case with the television shows. When the 2008-2009 sales numbers for Ark and Continuum were softer than they'd hoped, and the industry was forecasting a downturn in profitability of physical media releases, that's why we never got Revolutions or Extinction: MGM wasn't willing to carry all the risk on its own shoulders.

    I suspect that's where we are now. In the post-bankruptcy era, MGM is even more risk-adverse ... and so its business model is built upon co-financing. MGM would probably be thrilled to have the franchise revived with a new series ... but it isn't willing to take on the risk of paying for it all up front. So with a series pitch and a proposed budget in hand, they'll have to convince somebody to buy the darn thing and pay for its production.

  2. #162
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,029

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by GateWorld View Post
    I suspect that's where we are now. In the post-bankruptcy era, MGM is even more risk-adverse ... and so its business model is built upon co-financing. MGM would probably be thrilled to have the franchise revived with a new series ... but it isn't willing to take on the risk of paying for it all up front. So with a series pitch and a proposed budget in hand, they'll have to convince somebody to buy the darn thing and pay for its production.
    So we don't have to appeal to MGM's good side (well, a little) but to production companies, or producers willing to invest in something -- which I know is a risky business, money always is.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  3. #163
    First Lieutenant Raj_2006's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    So we don't have to appeal to MGM's good side (well, a little) but to production companies, or producers willing to invest in something -- which I know is a risky business, money always is.
    Could get Joe Flanigan and other actors to invest.


  4. #164
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,029

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Raj_2006 View Post
    Could get Joe Flanigan and other actors to invest.
    I believe Joe already tried a few years ago -- and failed to convince MGM to go forward.

    Production companies are far more likely to have the necessary funds to provide MGM with the kind of cash they would be looking for than individuals would have lying around.

    See Vanishing Angles (oh, now I'm remember them again) and Stargate Origins.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  5. #165
    First Lieutenant Raj_2006's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I believe Joe already tried a few years ago -- and failed to convince MGM to go forward.

    Production companies are far more likely to have the necessary funds to provide MGM with the kind of cash they would be looking for than individuals would have lying around.

    See Vanishing Angles (oh, now I'm remember them again) and Stargate Origins.
    Yes he did but he can try again and get more people involved.


  6. #166
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Raj_2006 View Post
    Could get Joe Flanigan and other actors to invest.
    Flanigan said he reached out to a group of investors and convinced them to put up money to lease the franchise pending MGM's approval. Neither he nor any of the other actors have the capital to invest their own money in a show that is likely to cost upwards of 100 million per season. Flanigan's reported net worth doesn't even equal what a single episode would cost these days.

  7. #167
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    To add to Xaeden's reply: Even if Flanigan managed to lease the franchise back then, I doubt that some of the cast members (especially from SGA) would want more of the direction that Brad Wright/Roobert Cooper/Joseph Malozzi/Martin Gero have envisioned for the series. So Joe Flanigan would have to go all out and change the direction or influence it to the point that it would be acceptable to get certain people back and to get the writing team to tell the stories that weren't told for XYZ reason or because at least 1 of the 4 "doesn''t feel like it would work".

    That is the case now as well... Whoever gets a change (or another chance) at the TV franchise, the direction of the series would need to be modified to fit the financing, whatever that's going to be when (or/and IF) SG gets back. And that means no more going overbudget for certain episodes like in the past. Even if only 2 of the 4 get to have another go with Stargate... This time around - if things do happen - certain amount of finances per season = no going overbudget = less of the coolness factor and if no more money = game over.

  8. #168
    First Lieutenant Raj_2006's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Mnikolic View Post
    To add to Xaeden's reply: Even if Flanigan managed to lease the franchise back then, I doubt that some of the cast members (especially from SGA) would want more of the direction that Brad Wright/Roobert Cooper/Joseph Malozzi/Martin Gero have envisioned for the series. So Joe Flanigan would have to go all out and change the direction or influence it to the point that it would be acceptable to get certain people back and to get the writing team to tell the stories that weren't told for XYZ reason or because at least 1 of the 4 "doesn''t feel like it would work".

    That is the case now as well... Whoever gets a change (or another chance) at the TV franchise, the direction of the series would need to be modified to fit the financing, whatever that's going to be when (or/and IF) SG gets back. And that means no more going overbudget for certain episodes like in the past. Even if only 2 of the 4 get to have another go with Stargate... This time around - if things do happen - certain amount of finances per season = no going overbudget = less of the coolness factor and if no more money = game over.
    Well we do not know that so it is just speculation at this point. Sure, some actors do want changes to their character/s they actor. Remember SG-1 started out as a budgeted sci-fi series and they did great. So, it is not impossible for that to happen again. People prefer good stories over appearance. Truth is you need to find a balance between the two. I just wish they would try, at least we would know they did.


  9. #169
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Raj_2006 View Post
    Remember SG-1 started out as a budgeted sci-fi series and they did great. So, it is not impossible for that to happen again. People prefer good stories over appearance.
    Babylon 5 was a budget sci fi show with an average episode cost of $800 thousand. In 1997, Stargate cost 1.3 million, which put them just under shows from the same period like X-files ($1.5 million per episode), Star Trek ($1.6 per episode for DS9) and the massively expensive "Space: Above and Beyond" ($2 million per episode). I can't think of a single 1990s sci fi TV show was wasn't Star Trek or a network darling/gamble that cost much more than Stargate did.

  10. #170
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Could we organise a Stargate reunion on Zoom? It would be fun to see the actors of SG-1, Atlantis or Universe to do a little group non-scripted chit-chat for charity or something. Or the creators could talk about Stargate. Other tv shows have organised such events, so maybe this one could be a way to express our love and care for Stargate. Maybe somebody should ask Joseph Mallozzi or Brad Wright.

  11. #171
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,029

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    They did a script reading last year with stargate atlantis cast members, remember... Stargate Command was gonna put that online or some such. Then it disappeared and nobody knows what happened to that footage.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  12. #172
    The Monitor jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Preparing for Crisis
    Posts
    37,015

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    It probably never existed
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #173
    Second Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    485

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    If they were smart enough, they made their own recording of it. Unless they relied on "The Powers That Be" to record the footage and save it somewhere, which would be really stupid.

  14. #174
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,029

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    It probably never existed
    Probably...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  15. #175
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    "They are working in it..."

    edit.

    I was planning to write "They are working on it..." ... but in or on doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Platschu; Today at 01:48 AM.

  16. #176
    Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    35,029

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    "They are working in it..."
    OH.... you didn't....
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

  17. #177
    Major General planet_tv's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Writing Stargate Atlantis fan fiction.
    Posts
    12,983

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Could we organise a Stargate reunion on Zoom? It would be fun to see the actors of SG-1, Atlantis or Universe to do a little group non-scripted chit-chat for charity or something. Or the creators could talk about Stargate. Other tv shows have organised such events, so maybe this one could be a way to express our love and care for Stargate. Maybe somebody should ask Joseph Mallozzi or Brad Wright.
    I think this would be a good idea especially if it was recorded and put on YouTube after it was done and if this were to happen then there should be one for each series. Also it would be nice if questions were collected, maybe on JM Blog or somewhere.


    Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

  18. #178
    Lieutenant Colonel Platschu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    King's Lynn, UK
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Thanks. I have heard some other tv shows and film actors and staff members had such reunion. Some of them have read some old scripts like a table reading together then the income was offered as charity.

  19. #179
    Captain Janus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Zwollywood aka Zwolle, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,619

    Earth Symbol Re: Bringing back Stargate Television Series

    Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    It probably never existed
    Or the quality was so bad that you couldn't tell Joe Flanigan from a Yeti.

    Writer of Stargate Nova Roma (SG Universe Soft Reboot/Continuation)
    For the long version, see....


    And for the rare days that you want to read something Non-Stargate, I wrote two novels


Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. The 5th Anniversary of the series finale of SGU and the end of Stargate on television
    By John Emmanuel Ramos in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 11th, 2016, 12:54 PM
  2. Will we come back to watch the Stargate series after the D and E reboot?
    By nekogater in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 15th, 2014, 03:45 PM
  3. Bringing back Larrin
    By wraith queen inga in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
  4. CW Bringing back Firefly?
    By Elite Anubis Guard in forum Firefly
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
  5. Stargate SG-1 (1997 Television Series) [SOUNDTRACK]
    By Stargate #1 Fan in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 14th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •