Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
That's what SGU was, apart from the ships used to get to Icarus at the beginning, most of the ridiculously overpowered Earth stuff was ignored.
SGA and SGU both did this. It's not a new concept but so far it's the best idea for creating a new setting while dealing with the OP Earth issue.

The Ori? We just want to bring "peace and enlightenment to the galaxy" Why are you fighting us? If they're explorers looking for a way to get home, or scientists looking to discover a cure or something, wouldn't that make Earth the bad guys for stopping them?
No. That's may have been what the followers believed but they still followed the "let's take over the galaxy because we're evil" thing. And your ideas about explorers trying to find a way home is a good concept. Reason for fighting? Maybe they causing death in their quest. Maybe they are inadvertently spreading diseases while they're looking. The Enkaran episode could also be good but have it on a larger scale and not be solved by saying "I found your home planet"

A race Earth depends on for something? Like the Jaffa turning against the Goa'uld?
Could've been a good one but never fully utilized it. They rarely ever brought up "what happens to the jaffa when we kill the Goa'uld?". And later on they find a solution for it. The Wraith could've also been a good one but they had the generic evil take over the galaxy mentality and no one seems to have an issue with the notion of the wraith going extinct. But I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Race A are a-holes but they protect people from something and if you oust them you will have to either pick up the slack or leave the people to die.

That's the Goa'uld/Tok'ra.
No, not like them. Sure they may have stolen stuff but they never got that advanced. Earth was progressing at a faster rate. I'm thinking of a group whose story is identical to that of Earth and has advanced like that as a result. A mirrored version of Earth and what they've been through.

Earth is the evil empire in this story.
No. I was thinking something more along the lines of the the Justice League Doom movie (assuming you watched it) or the Cadmus plotline in the early Justice League series. It's been done for superhero plots but I don't think it's ever been done for scifi plots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2U5BHxBRMI

Heroes "punch up" they fight enemies stronger than themselves. Earth is the evil empire crushing the resistance forces in this story.
No. Less of a resistance and more of a terrorist group. A group that can't go pound for pound against Earth so they use subversive tactics instead.

Only by making them even more powerful than Earth, and the Ori were created to fill this role. Earth has become so powerful that the only thing the writers could come up with to even remotely challenge them was a race of gods.

And then even they were defeated with minimal effort and a field trip to their home galaxy.
The Ori was done for plot purposes, that the Ancients that had been revered for half the series are now the bad guys. But they need motive so they turned it into a splinter faction of the Ancients with evil intent. And the Ori had a curbstomp in their entire plot span. And their defeat was only through the Easy-button Ascended-killing device and ark of truth. So downgrade the enemy just a bit so that it's not a complete curbstomp and remove the Easy-button.